• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Problem is too Boom, would *you* buy expensive graphics hardware from a company who is say below 12-13% marketshare (still dropping from there) *and* hemorrhaging money?? Because I'm not sure I would!! Driver/Crossfire support ain't the best as it is, but it'd be a damn sight worse if said company goes under!!! :(:(:(

At that point I would expect prices to start to bottom out, so yep I would pick one up lol. Then the inevitable buyout of Radeon from Samsung (Assuming your scenario) and the Nano becomes a collectors item :p

I really do think once availability improves, AMD will be in a better position, to re adjust pricing etc. On the ropes but not out. Next year should be a lot better for PC market on the whole. We're at the tail end of a 5 year run on 28nm and the market is just saturated. Things really need a shakeup. Next year should be better all around.

Soldato
As I said earlier, with the possibility of not needing to upgrade a power supply, it might make a good upgrade for some. IF the specs are as expected....
I guess so. I'm definitely somebody reluctant to upgrade my PSU(a bit of a pain), but I wouldn't ever shell out a bunch of extra money just to not do it, either. I'd just wait for something more affordable to come along in a more reasonable power draw bracket.

But you could be right. I don't think that will be a significant part of the potential market for the Nano, but it could be a good reason for some with some money to blow.

Soldato
AETOS by Maki Role - A 3D Printed and Machined build for the AMD R9 Nano

pNYhUZ.jpg

5n26fN.jpg

eM9QGj.jpg

dxps3X.jpg

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic...inted-and-machined-build-for-the-amd-r9-nano/

Soldato
They say they have a lot of stock, makes me wonder if this is where a lot of the Fury X chips ended up, if they do actually have a lot of stock. I'm guessing OCUK could neither confirm or deny that?

Soldato
There are fewer VRM phases so you're still better off with a Fury/FuryX if maximum performance is what you're after.

This is why I should not post on these matters

If the card is rated at 175W and 8 pin is rated at 150w can you explain where the additional 25W will come from?

Edit: OOhhh this was my 808...state post :D

Soldato
OP
Looking at AMD's own slides, at 4K the GTX 970 Mini ITX gives 70% of Nano performance for around ~ 50% of the price. Plus at 1080P / 1440P the performance gap will likely shrink as Nvidia's cards do better at lower res.

I.e, as a niche card just for 4K this card has a market, but it's a very very small one. Price needs to come down from $649 to sell in big numbers, but maybe that's not what this is designed for..

So at these prices I think the Gigabyte MITX GTX 970 with Phantom Pain is the better deal.

Good card, wrong pricing. Just like Fury X and Fury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom