• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Good card, wrong pricing. Just like Fury X and Fury.

To be fair Boom I think AMD must have known how constrained HBM1 was going to be and written off this generation of cards in advance. It'd be silly of them to price them any lower at present, maybe in 6 months the constraints will be lifted and they'll be able to move the prices!??

All-in-all the Fury line won't be released in any meaningful numbers until the HBM process gets sorted :eek:

Caporegime
To be fair Boom I think AMD must have known how constrained HBM1 was going to be and written off this generation of cards in advance. It'd be silly of them to price them any lower at present, maybe in 6 months the constraints will be lifted and they'll be able to move the prices!??

All-in-all the Fury line won't be released in any meaningful numbers until the HBM process gets sorted :eek:

I think it was AMDJoe who said they had ramped up HBM production, which he guessed was the reason for the slow stock and things would pick up but that was about a month ago and no sign of that happening.

Associate
Good card, hilariously terrible pricing.

Why not just buy a Fury X? There must be a grand total of 10 people on the planet that NEED a Nano over an X. Everyone else will just buy the X, surely AMD is losing more money on that due to the AIO?

Caporegime
Looking at AMD's own slides, at 4K the GTX 970 Mini ITX gives 70% of Nano performance for around ~ 50% of the price. Plus at 1080P / 1440P the performance gap will likely shrink as Nvidia's cards do better at lower res.

I.e, as a niche card just for 4K this card has a market, but it's a very very small one. Price needs to come down from $649 to sell in big numbers, but maybe that's not what this is designed for..

So at these prices I think the Gigabyte MITX GTX 970 with Phantom Pain is the better deal.

Good card, wrong pricing. Just like Fury X and Fury.

The Fury None-X is the same price as the GTX 980 and faster, even at 1080P

The problem here is anything above the GTX 970 / R9 390P is over priced, especially the GTX 980 at close to £200 more than the GTX 970 for 15% more performance.

Soldato
I think they are going to sell well. Just not to people with ATX/mATX etc but even then people will be misusing them in such a way :D

It's disappointing to see retailers still charging notably over MRRP for the Fury X cards this far after launch but with supply so low they can get away with it and sell all units before they have a chance to get more units in. Hopefully this won't happen with the Nano and it's probably why AMD is building stock before release as they know it's hurting the public perception of their brand. Let's see just how many retailers have stock at £509ish (was it?) in the UK at launch.

Caporegime
The problem here is anything above the GTX 970 / R9 390P is over priced, especially the GTX 980 at close to £200 more than the GTX 970 for 15% more performance.

This is why I have very little opimtimism for the next gen in 2016.

There is no reason prices have to be this high on such a mature process. This is both companies charging the absolute maximum they believe the market will bear.

I think next gen they will do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if next gen's performance gains are accompanied by price /rises/ across the board, rather than getting more for your money as you used to each new gen.

So mid-range cards for £300-£400, the new 980ti equiv being £700-£800, the new Titan being £1500 (million).

I hope I'm wrong, but we seem to have entered a period of unrestrained and unashamed milking.

Soldato
Yeah I agree, AMD really dropped the ball on pricing. It seems they have hired Nvidia's brain dead monkeys to do the pricing.

Still no word on whether you can Crossfire either and I was really hoping you could because I am restricted on space for a second GPU :(

So all in all? a complete let down really. Come on AMD ffs sort it out.

bru

bru

Soldato
The Fury None-X is the same price as the GTX 980 and faster, even at 1080P

Regardless of performance between the cards you have your pricing a bit out there humbug.

The 980 is £60 cheaper than the fury

The 980 is only £140 dearer than the 970.

I do totally agree though, that anything over the 970/390 is overpriced. Well saying that it is certainly more than I would be willing to pay for a graphics card.

YOUR BASKET
1 x PowerColor Radeon Fury 4096MB HBM PCI-Express Graphics Card £439.99
1 x Palit GeForce GTX 980 JetStream 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (NE5X980014G2-2042J) £379.99
1 x Zotac GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (ZT-90101-10P) £239.99
Total : £1,059.97 (includes shipping : Ex.VAT).

Caporegime
AMD cards sell in big numbers? that will be a first.

Mining craze ring any bells? Radeon 9700 and 9800 ring any bells? Apparently not.

Still no word on whether you can Crossfire either and I was really hoping you could because I am restricted on space for a second GPU :(

I very much doubt that crossfire would be affected in anyway as its a fiji gpu.

Associate
someone on youtube asked an interesting question, if Nano is using Fury X chips, why did AMD not just let third parties make mini Fury Xs ?

Associate
I think it was AMDJoe who said they had ramped up HBM production, which he guessed was the reason for the slow stock and things would pick up but that was about a month ago and no sign of that happening.

As I said before, it's not HBM volumes (though they are constrained). Interposers have been the bottleneck. AMD have had PCBs, Fiji dies and HBM just sitting around because UMC only started ramping up production of the interposers (they also assemble the finished product) at the end of July, post Fiji launch. Prior to that it was essentially trial production.

Hence why decent availability of Fiji SKUs is expected from the middle of September.

Caporegime
Regardless of performance between the cards you have your pricing a bit out there humbug.

The 980 is £60 cheaper than the fury

The 980 is only £140 dearer than the 970.

I do totally agree though, that anything over the 970/390 is overpriced. Well saying that it is certainly more than I would be willing to pay for a graphics card.

YOUR BASKET
1 x PowerColor Radeon Fury 4096MB HBM PCI-Express Graphics Card £439.99
1 x Palit GeForce GTX 980 JetStream 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (NE5X980014G2-2042J) £379.99
1 x Zotac GeForce GTX 970 Gaming Edition 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (ZT-90101-10P) £239.99
Total : £1,059.97 (includes shipping : Ex.VAT).

point taken but the Palit is an exception to the rule, all the others, and there are a lot, are £60+ more expensive.

Associate
someone on youtube asked an interesting question, if Nano is using Fury X chips, why did AMD not just let third parties make mini Fury Xs ?

They can do whatever they like. Very few non-reference cards have been produced though because of the unavailability of interposers.

Unless a bottleneck is then hit with HBM production, we should see a bunch of non-reference designs being announced in September / October ... whether there'll be any 'mini' designs, we don't know.

Caporegime

Same reason nvidia locked down the titan design, they wanted it to be a premium design with no variation. But amd went the cheaper route with the pump...and we all know how things went from there.

bru

bru

Soldato
They can do whatever they like. Very few non-reference cards have been produced though because of the unavailability of interposers.

Unless a bottleneck is then hit with HBM production, we should see a bunch of non-reference designs being announced in September / October ... whether there'll be any 'mini' designs, we don't know.

I thought AMD said no non reference FuryX's, I haven't seen any at all, please link to any you have seen, as I would love to see what others could do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom