• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Like I said before 980Ti generally goes in high airflow cases so it's not so much of an issue it being reviewed on a test bench where it won't get heat build up (plus it's a blower design anyway), for the Nano it certainly is because its aimed at poor airflow systems and the design of the cooler has no way to eject heat either. You could be looking at anything up to a 300mhz difference between a test bench and SFF case.

Surely it would not be a decent test though, as everyones SFF case design is different.

Mine for instance is terrible and would probably restrict the airflow enought to allow the card to overheat. However some of the SFF build I have seen demonstrated on these forums are very good and look like they could supply air-flow without too much of a problem.

The site would be better doing a review of differing case confugrations against GPU, if you really wanted to see these results.

Summary.
Too many SFF case configurations to factor into a single review for a GPU.

Soldato
People ran reference Titan cards in Shuttle SFF PCs too and so did Valve in their high end SteamBoxes,so at this point all sites should be probably making dual tests in cooling restricted cases,especially with production SteamBoxes starting to hit retail.

I would certainly think it's a good idea as I only have had mini-ITX and Shuttle form factor main PCs since late 2005.

However, some popular cases like the Prodigy and Corsair mini-ITX ones have decent airflow for graphics cards when compared to something older like an SG03!

What cases would you use?

Cooling restricted ones or very popular ones like the Prodigy which are huge mini-ITX cases??

On a side note is it me or don't I remember all this with the mini-ITX GTX970. Where were all the people saying why it wasn't tested in SFF PCs as standard?? I might have missed all of it though.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
I think with the 970mini it might have been because it came after the standard 970 although I'm not 100% sure on that one.
For me one of the things that sets this card apart from the rest is that AMD have said there is no base slock speed, no speed that it will not fall below. Which is as far as I know a first for a card with boosting technology. We know the 290/x didn't make a big deal out of its base clock but at least it did have one.
There will hopefully be some interesting reviews to read tomorrow and not just a few that have to test in a certain way. either way not long to find out now.

Caporegime
Surely it would not be a decent test though, as everyones SFF case design is different.

Mine for instance is terrible and would probably restrict the airflow enought to allow the card to overheat. However some of the SFF build I have seen demonstrated on these forums are very good and look like they could supply air-flow without too much of a problem.

The site would be better doing a review of differing case confugrations against GPU, if you really wanted to see these results.

Summary.
Too many SFF case configurations to factor into a single review for a GPU.

They should test in best (well cooled itx case if there is one) and worse (poor airflow itx case) case scenarios ideally but with Nano I'd say the worse case scenario is the most important to potential buyers because that's the market it's aimed at. Fury X is a better all-round card than Nano if you have the room for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think with the 970mini it might have been because it came after the standard 970 although I'm not 100% sure on that one.
For me one of the things that sets this card apart from the rest is that AMD have said there is no base slock speed, no speed that it will not fall below. Which is as far as I know a first for a card with boosting technology. We know the 290/x didn't make a big deal out of its base clock but at least it did have one.
There will hopefully be some interesting reviews to read tomorrow and not just a few that have to test in a certain way. either way not long to find out now.

I think the ideal review would be comparing both in a decent airflow mini-ITX case like the Corsair or Bitfenix ones and then poorer airflow ones like Shuttles or maybe one of the Lian Li ones.

Associate
Maybe they'll test them in all of these situations. I agree that all cards should be tested where the consumer is meant to house them. At least then if there is a major difference in performance due to heat/throttling then the consumer will be informed about it. When we make purchases which cost a fair ole bit of money we all do our research before committing to anything and this kind of info would certainly make a big difference to me and probably thousands of others.

bru

bru

Soldato
I still have issue with the headings like this.
ASUS R9 Nano delivers pumped gaming performance in a revolutionary small form factor

It is not new for there to be small form factor high powered gaming cards, that are second or third tier down.

Caporegime

It is not new for there to be small form factor high powered gaming cards, that are second or third tier down.

Its actually smaller than the GTX 970 Mini itx and very probably faster, so not too much of an exaggeration and its often said AMD need to step up on marketing.

bru

bru

Soldato
Yes but when the 970 came out it was the second tier card, when the ITX 285 was lunched it was third tier, just because the Nano is going to be the fastest so far it is still only the second or third tier card from AMD. Nothing revolutionary about it at all, it's just marketing speak.

Associate

I think they may have added an 'R' accidentally on purpose. I would say more Evolutionary rather than Revolutionary.

Saying that, I dont think that there has been such a powerful card in such a small form factor though....so maybe that's why they have used the 'R'. :D

Associate
finally AMD is growing some balls. people always say that AMD needs to be more like nvidia more aggressive. There you go. At last AMD blacklisting review sites who constantly are crapping on AMD products. Some of the sites more, others less.
And what an outcry from them babies :/

Soldato
Who is this Anal Tunneler bloke?

Sickening to see these hacks piling on AMD when they're down, just so they can feel powerful. Let's see you put NV's business in the street too if you're such a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom