• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano coming next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
As expected it's just another trophy card so that AMD can claim to have the worlds fastest SFF GPU, even though by design it's priced at a point where nobody in their right mind will buy it.

Associate
Hmm, very attractive pricing there then... For that money why would anyone pick a Nano over a regular Fury X for anything other than the absolute smallest of mITX cases?

Caporegime
But then you have to ask.. what is the point in the Fury X?

The question is the other way around for me, what is the point in the Nano? you put it in a tiny case with poor cooling and it'll throttle.. so then you upgrade your ITX case to something slightly bigger to increase airflow but then at that point you'd might as well just get a case that will accommodate a Fury X.

These reviews on an open test bench are ridiculous, were they part of the conditions of getting a review sample or something?

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Caporegime
Excuse me I've been under a rock, but...

8.19 TFLOPS with a TDP of 175 W??? That's sensational. :eek:

That's 33% more compute power than a Titan X with 30% less power draw!

And people aren't impressed with this thing?

As a compute card the Fury-X blows the Titan-X out of the water for raw performance and power-consumption.

This thing is mind-blowing but no one in here cares about that :p

Soldato
It beats a 980 in games, so yer it is impressive but the price, THE PRICE :eek:

This card is the Titan X of the SFF. There should be a market for people who want fast and small. I prefer big myself but people who go to Lans might just eat some of these up. Only been to a few myself and would have loved to be taking a small powerful pc instead of the full tower.

Caporegime
Excuse me I've been under a rock, but...

8.19 TFLOPS with a TDP of 175 W??? That's sensational. :eek:

That's 33% more compute power than a Titan X with 30% less power draw!

And people aren't impressed with this thing?

Edit: looks like the drivers have a long way to go to get high utilisation on the Fury range..

It's only theoretical, if you actually hammered the card with compute it'll probably throttle clockspeed and the TFLOPS will be significantly reduced. That's why Fury/FuryX are still better for raw performance.

Caporegime
This card is the Titan X of the SFF. There should be a market for people who want fast and small. I prefer big myself but people who go to Lans might just eat some of these up. Only been to a few myself and would have loved to be taking a small powerful pc instead of the full tower.

The Asian market should love these, as I read a while back that they are more tuned to things getting smaller. 2 sold in 30 mins just tells me that it isn't really floating boats in this country.

Soldato
As a compute card the Fury-X blows the Titan-X out of the water for raw performance and power-consumption.

This thing is mind-blowing but no one in here cares about that :p
The compute capabability is only important to be mentioned when Nvidia is beating AMD on it (much like the importance of lower power consumption and noise-level :p).

Soldato
The performance to power is good, but not £550+ good. It's target market is the itx crowd, why on earth someone would stump up near twice the price for this rather then clocking the hell out of a 970 is beyond me, even the fury x becomes a better option for itx provided you have a spare 120mm mount.

Furthermore, if amd can get this perf v power ratio on the nano, why haven't they scaled this up on a bigger card to 250w+ and blown Maxwell out of the water?

Not so much disappointed, but certainly puzzled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom