• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Interesting, my 5800x3d will do -30 across all cores no problem

Silicon lottery bro. Most do but not all.
It’s the same with boost. The X’s that will do -20 but only boost to 4.8.
Mine will boost to 4.95 on auto, and can do 5ghz easy so I think boost will also affect CO as more boost will need more power.

If you set -30 don’t forget to monitor your cpu speeds. As you don’t want to lose performance. It’s a balancing act

Bit the bullet and bought this cpu lol just installed it :) can i ask if i need to download any drivers for the cpu? and if yes which ones and where from please, a link to the actual driver would be awesome

Thanks

OMG!!! this cpu is amazing! i cant believe a cpu can make so much difference, just tried hogwarts and went to hogsmead, was dipping into low 40fps range at times before...now im at bloody 80/90fps!!! in hogsmead!

All on high settings with the usual film grain etc turned off and dlss set to quality, i LOVE this cpu lol

OMG!!! this cpu is amazing! i cant believe a cpu can make so much difference, just tried hogwarts and went to hogsmead, was dipping into low 40fps range at times before...now im at bloody 80/90fps!!! in hogsmead!

All on high settings with the usual film grain etc turned off and dlss set to quality, i LOVE this cpu lol
What did you upgrade from?

My CPU is now at -20.

Although both -30 and -25 gamed fine for a bit:

-30 eventually spontaneously rebooted after a prolonged gaming session.
-25 had no problems gaming but yesteday pc rebooted on windows login screen when I turned the pc on for the first time.

Measuring speeds with Cinebench 23, -20 seems more or less the same as -30 in terms of boost clocks so I am happy enough.

Fingers crossed its stable.

I suppose the way the curve optimiser works is the CPU is only as stable as the least stable core.

In other words if 7 of your 8 cores can do -30 but one of them can only do -10, unless you do per core curve you end up needing to set the global curve to -10 which would be rubbish.

Last edited:
I suppose the way the curve optimiser works is the CPU is only as stable as the least stable core.

In other words if 7 of your 8 cores can do -30 but one of them can only do -10, unless you do per core curve you end up needing to set the global curve to -10 which would be rubbish.
Yup, exactly the same as the previous chips. It takes a lot of time testing to find out which core is unstable. Takes long enough doing a 5800X never mind a 5950X. I don't think I would have the patience to do it.

I was originally planning on jumping to AM5, pre AM5 launch, but now im considering a cheeky update and jumping from 3600 non x to 5800x3d and throwing in another 16gb RAM to take me to 32GB. Im expecting to see a fair jump in performance for little outlay if i do this (lets be honest....its when)

Last edited:
I was originally planning on jumping to AM5, pre AM5 launch, but now im considering a cheeky update and jumping from 3600 non x to 5800x3d and throwing in another 16gb RAM to take me to 32GB. Im expecting to see a fair jump in performance for little outlay if i do this (lets be honest....its when)

From a 3600x you will see a substantial uplift.

Also good time to fit the ram when you swap in the CPU.

Mistake I made is not getting another 16Gb when I put mine in.

Now I can't be bothered to take the cooler off to fit new ram.

However right now 16Gb -> 32Gb is minimal benefit but for how long who knows

Last edited:
whats the way to go on RAM on this these days anyway? I'm B350 so 3200 is probably still the limit but not much C14 stuff around these days it seems. Latest games seem to gobble ram until they get a few patches.

From a 3600x you will see a substantial uplift.

Also good time to fit the ram when you swap in the CPU.

Mistake I made is not getting another 16Gb when I put mine in.

Now I can't be bothered to take the cooler off to fit new ram.

However right now 16Gb -> 32Gb is minimal benefit but for how long who knows
Well i installed star citizen a few weeks ago to see where it is now and it was screaming that it needed 12gb RAM and i had 11.5gb of the 16gb spare.
I'm expecting something like a 30-40% uplift going from 3600 non x to 5800x3d, accompanied with the extra RAM

Last edited:
I'm tempted to make the jump from my 5600X to a 5800X3D but my rational side is telling me it won't make much if any difference with my GPU. Has anyone made the upgrade to a 5800X3D with an older GPU like my Vega56?

I'm tempted to make the jump from my 5600X to a 5800X3D but my rational side is telling me it won't make much if any difference with my GPU. Has anyone made the upgrade to a 5800X3D with an older GPU like my Vega56?
I went from 5600X to 5800X3D and boy I got improvements.

Temps on CPU can be higher, but it has better lows, and solid frames coming from it.

I have not noted any games where it is worse than my old 5600X. But have not measured them with any software.

This is simply from my impressions of using the chip.

To balance it out, Windows felt a tad slower to use with the new chip. I think the 5600X boosts higher than the 5800X3D in single core performance. The 5800X3D, goes up to 4.35 Ghrz, or so. The 5600X went over 4.5 Ghrz.

I went from 5600X to 5800X3D and boy I got improvements.

Temps on CPU can be higher, but it has better lows, and solid frames coming from it.

I have not noted any games where it is worse than my old 5600X. But have not measured them with any software.

This is simply from my impressions of using the chip.

To balance it out, Windows felt a tad slower to use with the new chip. I think the 5600X boosts higher than the 5800X3D in single core performance. The 5800X3D, goes up to 4.35 Ghrz, or so. The 5600X went over 4.5 Ghrz.
Try adjusting PBO by -30 if you can, That should bring the all core up to around 4.5Ghz assuming your cooling solution is up to scratch.

Back
Top Bottom