• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

I went from 5600X to 5800X3D and boy I got improvements.

Temps on CPU can be higher, but it has better lows, and solid frames coming from it.

I have not noted any games where it is worse than my old 5600X. But have not measured them with any software.

This is simply from my impressions of using the chip.

To balance it out, Windows felt a tad slower to use with the new chip. I think the 5600X boosts higher than the 5800X3D in single core performance. The 5800X3D, goes up to 4.35 Ghrz, or so. The 5600X went over 4.5 Ghrz.

Yeah I'm not doubting the 5800X3D will be faster than my 5600X but I wondered if I'd get any benefit with my Vega 56. At this point I doubt a faster CPU will give me more fps in games as I'm pretty sure the gpu is what is holding me back right now. Unless someone with a similarly performing has made the jump to the 5800X3D and can say otherwise.
Interesting you mention the 5800X3D feeling slower in Windows. My 5600X is set to boost to 4750mhz all core, so if anything the 5800X3D might be a downgrade in my case.

Yeah I'm not doubting the 5800X3D will be faster than my 5600X but I wondered if I'd get any benefit with my Vega 56. At this point I doubt a faster CPU will give me more fps in games as I'm pretty sure the gpu is what is holding me back right now. Unless someone with a similarly performing has made the jump to the 5800X3D and can say otherwise.
Interesting you mention the 5800X3D feeling slower in Windows. My 5600X is set to boost to 4750mhz all core, so if anything the 5800X3D might be a downgrade in my case.
Your GPU will certainly bottleneck the X3D, I believe a 4080 won't bottleneck with it.
What CPU are you currently running?
I've not noticed any slow downs in windows with mine, only benefits really, a quieter system, less fans ramping up doing basic tasks etc.

My RTX 3070, got pushed far more with the 5800X3D in God of War. At 1080P.

It depends on what resolution you run. 1080P, CPU bound, or 4K, GPU bound.

In regards to your Vega 56, well maybe it is time to get rid and get something like 6800XT, or 6950XT. Or if you want low power 1440p, the RTX 4070 (it pains me to mention this GPU).

In regards to your Vega 56, well maybe it is time to get rid and get something like 6800XT, or 6950XT. Or if you want low power 1440p, the RTX 4070 (it pains me to mention this GPU).
Was laughing at this part 'RTX 4070, it pains me to mention this GPU'

Don't insult me with a 4070! I'd sooner buy a ps5 :-p

So, not being satisfied with my temps, i swapped out my AIO for a Thermalright FC140.

Now it idles ~ 26c and 100% load 67c. It is a bit louder, but i can live with that.

Went with the FC for aesthetics, wanted a black cooler with cover plates on the fin stacks.

Probably have a play with the fan curve at some point and may try with just the middle fan attached to see if i can get it quieter.

Hi, just swapped my 5950x to 5800X3D on my B550 Tomahawk. Everything went smooth through BIOS update to latest, setting memory and infinity clock. Benched vanilla and with CO -30 with no issues. However I soon noticed that the m.2_2 secondary Nvme drive did not show up on Win11 nor the bios. Ended up rma the drive and out another, now the new one won’t show up on cold boot but does after restart. Had none of these issues with my 5950x and previous bios. So I wish the issues is not faulty 5800X3D since it otherwise works great, could be the motherboard or PSU perhaps? But then again all this started only after cpu and bios upgrade. Don’t have spare motherboards to test and done all the troubleshooting I can think of.
-tried 3 different older (w 5800x3d) bioses
- tried using a pcie m.2 adapter
- no issues with the boot m.2 drive that is on the cpu lane (perhaps the chipset lane has developed a fault?)

Last edited:
Hi, just swapped my 5950x to 5800X3D on my B550 Tomahawk. Everything went smooth through BIOS update to latest, setting memory and infinity clock. Benched vanilla and with CO -30 with no issues. However I soon noticed that the m.2_2 secondary Nvme drive did not show up on Win11 nor the bios. Ended up rma the drive and out another, now the new one won’t show up on cold boot but does after restart. Had none of these issues with my 5950x and previous bios. So I wish the issues is not faulty 5800X3D since it otherwise works great, could be the motherboard or PSU perhaps? But then again all this started only after cpu and bios upgrade. Don’t have spare motherboards to test and done all the troubleshooting I can think of.
-tried 3 different older (w 5800x3d) bioses
- tried using a pcie m.2 adapter
- no issues with the boot m.2 drive that is on the cpu lane (perhaps the chipset lane has developed a fault?)
Have you tried without the -30? Is it a stability issue?

Have you tried without the -30? Is it a stability issue?
Yes, always tried first with default bios, no over/underclocks. It’s not stability issue as when booted to bios the m2_2 slot drive is not found in bios even.
- so now if I boot from cold, I have to start windows for a few minutes and then restart to get the drive show up in bios and windows.

Last edited:
Yes, always tried first with default bios, no over/underclocks. It’s not stability issue as when booted to bios the m2_2 slot drive is not found in bios even.
- so now if I boot from cold, I have to start windows for a few minutes and then restart to get the drive show up in bios and windows.
I'd say it's the BIOS rather than the CPU. I've heard of BIOS's causing cold boot issues but not CPUs.

I'd say it's the BIOS rather than the CPU. I've heard of BIOS's causing cold boot issues but not CPUs.
That's what I thought as well, and therefore tried the 3 previous bios versions which all had the same issue. This leads me think the problem is more hardware and motherboard related.

Can someone tell me if the speed of ram makes a difference with this cpu? at the moment i have 16gb 3200mhz ram and was wondering if it was worth going up to 16gb 3600mhz or not?

One vid i seen on youtube it made a difference but i have also heard people say it dosnt so bit confused lol

Im just trying to get all the performance i can out of my setup

Thanks

Can someone tell me if the speed of ram makes a difference with this cpu? at the moment i have 16gb 3200mhz ram and was wondering if it was worth going up to 16gb 3600mhz or not?

One vid i seen on youtube it made a difference but i have also heard people say it dosnt so bit confused lol

Im just trying to get all the performance i can out of my setup

Thanks

No. Apparently high performance ram doesn't make as much of a difference as it did with other Ryzen Cpu's.

If you do choose to upgrade I would advise 32Gb.

Thanks, i may just get another 16gb of 3200 then

Yea, if the choice is between more ram or faster ram, considering the 5800x3d doesnt really benefit that much from faster ram better choice is to double the capacity.

I made a silly mistake when I bought mine.

I didn't know that faster ram doesn't really benefit the 5800x3d and went and 'upgraded' my 3600Mhz CL16 ram to 3600Mhz CL14.

When really I should have just bought another 16Gb.

Yea, if the choice is between more ram or faster ram, considering the 5800x3d doesnt really benefit that much from faster ram better choice is to double the capacity.

I made a silly mistake when I bought mine.

I didn't know that faster ram doesn't really benefit the 5800x3d and went and 'upgraded' my 3600Mhz CL16 ram to 3600Mhz CL14.

When really I should have just bought another 16Gb.
And just to rub salt into the wounds your 3600mhz CL16 kit would probably have done CL14. Mine does. Sorry :p

Last edited:
And just to rub salt into the wounds your 3600mhz CL16 kit would probably have done CL14. Mine does. Sorry :p

I got fed up with overclocking over the years.

I had my 3200Mhz CL14 8 pack ram at 3600MHz CL14 with super tight timings running for about a year with my GTX 1080.

As soon as I upgraded to the 3080 it became unstable.

Last edited:
So i have the system in my sig, i have enabled the PBO in the BIOS and lowered PPT to 110, TOC to 75 and EDC to 100 and set a curve of -30. Is there anything else i should tweak at all to get lower temps?

So, not being satisfied with my temps, i swapped out my AIO for a Thermalright FC140.

Now it idles ~ 26c and 100% load 67c. It is a bit louder, but i can live with that.

Went with the FC for aesthetics, wanted a black cooler with cover plates on the fin stacks.

Probably have a play with the fan curve at some point and may try with just the middle fan attached to see if i can get it quieter.
Which AIO did you have before?

Back
Top Bottom