• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Which AIO did you have before?
Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360mm.

It was a first revision without the offset bracket and think that may have been the problem. Reached out to Arctic Cooling to try and get a bracket, but got no reply.

Think the CPU block was not right as well. No matter how i tried to install it, the only way it fit without twisting the tubes into the fan blades was to have it upside down so the VRM fan was towards the GPU.

It did work okish though, but i wanted better. Plus i wanted to go back to air cooling anyways.

Played around with the fan curve and now the FC140 is very quiet and still great temps.

Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360mm.

It was a first revision without the offset bracket and think that may have been the problem. Reached out to Arctic Cooling to try and get a bracket, but got no reply.

Think the CPU block was not right as well. No matter how i tried to install it, the only way it fit without twisting the tubes into the fan blades was to have it upside down so the VRM fan was towards the GPU.

It did work okish though, but i wanted better. Plus i wanted to go back to air cooling anyways.

Played around with the fan curve and now the FC140 is very quiet and still great temps.
That's surprising because it should still perform really well and better than any aircooler without the offset bracket (only 1-3C worse than with it). However, there was an issue with early Arctic Freezer II AIOs getting clogged with gunk over time and they did a recall so perhaps that was the issue.

That's surprising because it should still perform really well and better than any aircooler without the offset bracket (only 1-3C worse than with it). However, there was an issue with early Arctic Freezer II AIOs getting clogged with gunk over time and they did a recall so perhaps that was the issue.
It worked absolutly fine with my 5800X ~ mid 60s under load, but wth the X3D it was ~ mid 70s with a more aggressive fan curve.

I know they did a free service kit because of a dodgey gasket, if that is what you mean. (I did swap mine just in case and made sure it was orrientated correctly and did not leak)

It was a bit of a pain fitting and removing from my smallish case. Even the FC140 seems small in comparison.

Just wanted to get back to mid 60s, which for some reason the air cooler has done.

It worked absolutly fine with my 5800X ~ mid 60s under load, but wth the X3D it was ~ mid 70s with a more aggressive fan curve.

I know they did a free service kit because of a dodgey gasket, if that is what you mean. (I did swap mine just in case and made sure it was orrientated correctly and did not leak)

It was a bit of a pain fitting and removing from my smallish case. Even the FC140 seems small in comparison.

Just wanted to get back to mid 60s, which for some reason the air cooler has done.
That's good to know because I am a fan of Noctua air coolers and was wondering whether an AIO was worth it for this CPU.

That's good to know because I am a fan of Noctua air coolers and was wondering whether an AIO was worth it for this CPU.
I will add that my 5800X had PBO set at PPT 125 - TDC 84 - EDC 125, with curve optimiser -25 all core with a 0mhz core offset.

The X3D is set to level 3 (-30) in Kombo Strike. Going by Ryzen Master PPT is 142, TDC is 95 and EDC is 140.

I am not saying a AIO is not worth it, but i got the FC140 for £40 so thought i would try it.

Just got a 5800x3d myself and would really like to tame the heat.. my current Cryorig R1 ultimate cooler with Noctua NH-D15 fans are keeping it at around 75ish while gaming but a quick stress test in Cinebench and the temps are at 90c instant and thats with fanspeed around 70%.. can't say I'm happy about that :P..

Just got a 5800x3d myself and would really like to tame the heat.. my current Cryorig R1 ultimate cooler with Noctua NH-D15 fans are keeping it at around 75ish while gaming but a quick stress test in Cinebench and the temps are at 90c instant and thats with fanspeed around 70%.. can't say I'm happy about that :p..
Usual recommendation is PBO2 and set your negative curve offset (-25/-30 is what most here will be likely using).

Once you've done that, there isn't much more you can do. It's a hot chip, AMD consider anything up to 89/90 in spec and I've not seen huge gains swapping from a Noctua C14s to an EK Basic 240 AIO. I even ran it with an L12s cooler from Noctua that's a single slim 25mm fan and it wasn't that much worse off compared to the two larger cooling options.

Usual recommendation is PBO2 and set your negative curve offset (-25/-30 is what most here will be likely using).

Once you've done that, there isn't much more you can do. It's a hot chip, AMD consider anything up to 89/90 in spec and I've not seen huge gains swapping from a Noctua C14s to an EK Basic 240 AIO. I even ran it with an L12s cooler from Noctua that's a single slim 25mm fan and it wasn't that much worse off compared to the two larger cooling options.
Yeah that was what I was afraid off.. I'm going to buy a new cooler no matter what but will most likely favor low noise over much else. I have tamed it a bit. Curve is set to -25 and PBO is 90/85/90 for a quick and dirty cap on power. All core boost is around 4350 now and temps stay below 81. That will have to do for now..

So OCCT would appear to stress the CPU more than Cinebench, whilst stressing with OCCT and Ryzen Master open I can see the values of the PPT, TDC and EDC and only the EDC is being maxed at 100% so would that suggest for the PPT and TDC that I can lower these values even more in the Bios but maybe I need to up the value of EDC as that's being maxed out??.......the system is stable though and hasn't crashed whilst stress however

Yeah that was what I was afraid off.. I'm going to buy a new cooler no matter what but will most likely favor low noise over much else. I have tamed it a bit. Curve is set to -25 and PBO is 90/85/90 for a quick and dirty cap on power. All core boost is around 4350 now and temps stay below 81. That will have to do for now..

At that speed your off by about 100Mhz all core from what the chip can do actually do.

I have -20 on mine and I see it hit 4.45MHz all core boost.

No idea on temps, but using a NH-D14 and the pc isn't complaining.

Last edited:
I’d make sure your case is well ventilated and that you have extraction fans on the back of your case and on the back roof. Made a big difference to mine.

Last edited:
So OCCT would appear to stress the CPU more than Cinebench, whilst stressing with OCCT and Ryzen Master open I can see the values of the PPT, TDC and EDC and only the EDC is being maxed at 100% so would that suggest for the PPT and TDC that I can lower these values even more in the Bios but maybe I need to up the value of EDC as that's being maxed out??.......the system is stable though and hasn't crashed whilst stress however
What is the cpu boosting to? If your already hitting 4450mhz all core then increasing the EDC value wouldn't really help but won't hurt to try either. With my 5600X which runs at 4750mhz all core I ran stress tests like prime95 and monitored EDC, TDC and PPT with HWMonitor. Looked to see what the max readings were and set them a little bit higher in BIOS. I did try lower to see how it affected the all core boost but found that would reduce clock speeds.

What is the cpu boosting to? If your already hitting 4450mhz all core then increasing the EDC value wouldn't really help but won't hurt to try either. With my 5600X which runs at 4750mhz all core I ran stress tests like prime95 and monitored EDC, TDC and PPT with HWMonitor. Looked to see what the max readings were and set them a little bit higher in BIOS. I did try lower to see how it affected the all core boost but found that would reduce clock speeds.
Yeah I'm hitting 4450mhz. I'll load HWMonitor when stressing with OCCT and see what PPT, TDC and EDC max out at and thrn set them to 5 or 10 higher in the BIOS.

To be honest my cooler is keeping the temps at around 58-60 when stressing with OCCT already so I don't have much to complain about

Yeah I'm hitting 4450mhz. I'll load HWMonitor when stressing with OCCT and see what PPT, TDC and EDC max out at and thrn set them to 5 or 10 higher in the BIOS.

To be honest my cooler is keeping the temps at around 58-60 when stressing with OCCT already so I don't have much to complain about
Try it but if your already hitting 4450mhz then increasing the PPT, TDC and EDC is probabaly just going to increase temps a little. Pretty sure 4450mhz is the max you can get out of a 5800X3D

So today I went a bit nuts in my attempt to get the 5800x3d under control. I ended up buying a lian li 011 Dynamic case, a SFX PSU cause i didn't look at the case requirements :):cry: and an Arctic Freezer ii 240 A-RGB(because i knew for sure this had the offset brackets, not cause of the RGB) while driving around 150km just to pick it up cause I'm an impatient *******. Have to say though, I don't regret blowing my budget a bit for this month :p. Never knew I needed such a fine case in my life, everything is so silent now and regarding what this is all about, the 5800x3d temps, I have lowered them to 80 under full load with increased TDC(110), PPT(110) and EDC(100) values. CB2023 is sitting at 14990 now with single core boosting to 4541mhz. I'm very happy about that.

Last edited:
Perfect if it does show up. Been thinking about the 58003D, but don't really need 8 cores* and prefer to run lower power than stock.

* Unless pro consoles show up next year with a bigger CPU jump than the last ones did.

Perfect if it does show up. Been thinking about the 58003D, but don't really need 8 cores* and prefer to run lower power than stock.

* Unless pro consoles show up next year with a bigger CPU jump than the last ones did.
power when gaming really isn't that high.. my 5800x3D hovers between 10 and 40 watts most of the time. It's only when you push it, and its sibling the 5800x, in all core workloads that you will see 100+ watts of power if stock settings are used.

Back
Top Bottom