• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

I was looking at the system requirements for the new Phantom Liberty DLC which you can find here and noticed that they list the 7900x as a better cpu than the 7800x3d for this game.

However YouTube seems to suggest this is untrue. In general the 7800x3d is faster than the 7900x in games that are out today.

Anyway I wanted to see how the 5800x3d compares to a 7900x and found this table from tomshardware.com

Screenshot-2023-09-16-003804.png

Here it seems a 5800x3d is faster than a 7700x, 7900x and a 7950x in games.

Is this true?
If the game doesn’t benefit from Vcache then clock speed will be more important.

I was looking at the system requirements for the new Phantom Liberty DLC which you can find here and noticed that they list the 7900x as a better cpu than the 7800x3d for this game.

However YouTube seems to suggest this is untrue. In general the 7800x3d is faster than the 7900x in games that are out today.

Anyway I wanted to see how the 5800x3d compares to a 7900x and found this table from tomshardware.com

Screenshot-2023-09-16-003804.png

Here it seems a 5800x3d is faster than a 7700x, 7900x and a 7950x in games.

Is this true?
Looks like the 7800X3D is on top.

Last edited:
I am currently still nursing a Ryzen 2700x ;) Like usual I've been waiting, waiting and waiting to go on AM5 but I never get there so I was thinking of keeping my current setup and just chucking a 5800x or x3d in :) My poor mismatch of parts in this pc is not the best really.

The 6800xt nitro plus is definitely needing some more juice that a ryzen 2700x can never give it :D and my psu plus motherboard and ram will be fine with a 5800x /x3d in (MSI b450 gaming plus max + vengeance 3200mhz)

Is the 5800x /x3d worth it at this point. I can't see me upgrading any time soon so I thought I'd ask around and see what others think.

Last edited:
I am currently still nursing a Ryzen 2700x ;) Like usual I've been waiting, waiting and waiting to go on AM5 but I never get there so I was thinking of keeping my current setup and just chucking a 5800x in :) My poor mismatch of parts in this pc is not the best really.

The 6800xt nitro plus is definitely needing some more juice that a ryzen 2700x can never give it :D and my psu plus motherboard and ram will be fine with a 5800x in (MSI b450 gaming plus max + vengeance 3200mhz)

Is the 5800x worth it at this point. I can't see me upgrading any time soon so I thought I'd ask around and see what others think.
If you're going to do one last upgrade on that socket then the 5800x3D is the only way to go.

I am currently still nursing a Ryzen 2700x ;) Like usual I've been waiting, waiting and waiting to go on AM5 but I never get there so I was thinking of keeping my current setup and just chucking a 5800x or x3d in :) My poor mismatch of parts in this pc is not the best really.

The 6800xt nitro plus is definitely needing some more juice that a ryzen 2700x can never give it :D and my psu plus motherboard and ram will be fine with a 5800x /x3d in (MSI b450 gaming plus max + vengeance 3200mhz)

Is the 5800x /x3d worth it at this point. I can't see me upgrading any time soon so I thought I'd ask around and see what others think.

5800x3d

The 5800x3d will be a cheaper upgrade as you can keep ram / board , but its not got any upgrade path after

The 5800x3d will be a cheaper upgrade as you can keep ram / board , but its not got any upgrade path after
That was my thinking. I don't really have any plans to upgrade to am5 right now so if I can squeeze a bit more out of my am4 setup I can live with that! Although I am still undecided right now what to do :D

I had the same decision to make, I decided to go for a 5800x3d and I am really pleased that I did.
I went from a 3700x and the upgrade was very noticeable....plays everything I throw at it very smoothly, higher FPS and less lows.
No complaints, I will get another year out of it at least.

I had the same decision to make, I decided to go for a 5800x3d and I am really pleased that I did.
I went from a 3700x and the upgrade was very noticeable....plays everything I throw at it very smoothly, higher FPS and less lows.
No complaints, I will get another year out of it at least.
I'm mulling this exact upgrade at the minute, although with a 4080 I think I might be even more CPU bottlenecked than you. Glad to hear you noticed a difference. That's useful info, thank you.

I to am mulling this upgrade. It seems like a nice way to extend the life time of my current system with a relatively straightforward change.

Sounds like a nice upgrade

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom