• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Bios update and depending on motherboard see if you can offset each core to -30 for extra performance.
Get cinebench, run a multi core stress test and make sure all cores are running about 4.45ghz
thank you, i have gigabyte b550m aorus elite. i have already updated the bios in preparation so i guess i will have a snoop around the menu and see what options are there.

Thinking on upgrading my PC soon, maybe October time or before christmas, currently have a ryzen 9 3900x, 2080 super graphics card, 16 gb ram, rog strix b 450 f gaming motherboard, would i see a good improvement in games if i went to the best AM 4 chip for gaming, along with a new graphics card ? 27 inch monitor with 2560 x 1440 res, i would plan on new 32gb memory, new cpu and graphics card, or would i be as well switching to AM 5 ?

Last edited:
Definitely a GPU upgrade would give you a good increase.

The CPU its a hard one to say.

It will give you a nice speed boost, but is it worth spending more for AM5????

Obviously it's cheaper just to grab a 5800x3d and put that in the pc than a whole platform upgrade.

But its up to you at the end of the day.

What I did recently was add another 16Gb of ram to my pc and bought a 4080.

The 5800x3d I bought last year.

I don't think the 5800x3d is a slouch.

Only one game so far makes it look slow and that's Starfield.

But honestly Starfield is just a unicorn of a game. Theres clearly an issue with the engine which needs to be brute forced to get decent fps.

99% of other games the 5800x3d is more than fast enough for.

It's not that the 5800x3d is slow in Starfield it's just that there is a clear gap between it and something like the 7800x3d.

Last edited:
Strange as Kombo Strike usually just works for most :(
Worked fine for me in all benchmarking but the main (only) game I play on my PC is Warzone / Warzone 2 with friends. It crashed (hard shutdown) a couple of time in final stages of a quads game. Set to stock and no more shutdowns.
Games can really hammer the cpu, gpu and ram more so than benching for 48 hours constant. When that extra power is needed and its not there, system just said 'nope'

Worked fine for me in all benchmarking but the main (only) game I play on my PC is Warzone / Warzone 2 with friends. It crashed (hard shutdown) a couple of time in final stages of a quads game. Set to stock and no more shutdowns.
Games can really hammer the cpu, gpu and ram more so than benching for 48 hours constant. When that extra power is needed and its not there, system just said 'nope'
Totally agree, i fired up GTA V the other week and my X3D was at 80c for a minute or 2 :eek:

Last edited:
Thinking on upgrading my PC soon, maybe October time or before christmas, currently have a ryzen 9 3900x, 2080 super graphics card, 16 gb ram, rog strix b 450 f gaming motherboard, would i see a good improvement in games if i went to the best AM 4 chip for gaming, along with a new graphics card ? 27 inch monitor with 2560 x 1440 res, i would plan on new 32gb memory, new cpu and graphics card, or would i be as well switching to AM 5 ?
Hmm, tough one. If you're planning on getting new RAM too then a new platform may be the way to go as the only additional cost will be a motherboard.

If you're prepared to spend the extra then whether you go AMD or Intel you can get a CPU that will trade blows with a 5800X3D for a similar cost while adding the option of a further CPU upgrade down the line.

At the same time the first X3D is still impressive. If it weren't for the need for extra RAM then I'd say that was the better choice when coupled with a GPU upgrade.

Totally agree, i fired up GTA V the other week and my X3D was at 80c for a minute or 2 :eek:
80c is fine. Mines hitting around 86c gaming (Warzone 2) in this heat.
A friend who has a ‘standard’ modern PC his hits 97c! Not an x3d a slightly older model but not in a big case with good cooling.
He said its warm and noisy but never gets crashes.

I also have my 3 case fans locked at 42% and use a low noise adapter on my cpu cooling - I hate fan (or pump) noise

Last edited:
Hmm, tough one. If you're planning on getting new RAM too then a new platform may be the way to go as the only additional cost will be a motherboard.

If you're prepared to spend the extra then whether you go AMD or Intel you can get a CPU that will trade blows with a 5800X3D for a similar cost while adding the option of a further CPU upgrade down the line.

At the same time the first X3D is still impressive. If it weren't for the need for extra RAM then I'd say that was the better choice when coupled with a GPU upgrade.
Thanks for the reply, will wait to christmas and see how i feel, can't see prices dropping 2 much though

Try Kombo Strike 2. That'll apply a -20 offset.

My chip can't do Kombo Strike 3/-30 offset as it's not Prime stable at that. -26 offset is fine so I just set Kombo Strike to 2.

so the cpu has arrived and so far i am quite underwelmed. the few games/tests i have done are not showing a performance jump tbh. the strange thing is the frequency tends to be only 2.7-3.2 so i am hoping it is to do with that. i applied the -30 business and temps appear to be really low, 42-44c idle.
edit that...cinebench at 100% is only at 3.2 so i will look into that

Last edited:
so the cpu has arrived and so far i am quite underwelmed. the few games/tests i have done are not showing a performance jump tbh. the strange thing is the frequency tends to be only 2.7-3.2 so i am hoping it is to do with that. i applied the -30 business and temps appear to be really low, 42-44c idle.
edit that...cinebench at 100% is only at 3.2 so i will look into that
Did you update your BIOS to one using at least AGESA 1.2.0.7 and did you install the latest chipset driver? You should be getting a maximum of 4.45GHz not 3.2GHz.

Last edited:
Did you update your BIOS to one using at least AGESA 1.2.0.7 and did you install the latest chipset driver? You should be getting a maximum of 4.45GHz not 3.2GHz.
Yes , I was on 1.2.0.8 but there was a newer bios which was 1.2.0.A.
Installed latest chipset driver too. The only thing that got me to 4.4 was loading optimized defaults on bios. That turned off all the pbo stuff. will have to grab a screenshot later since I'm giving up for today.

I've not really kept up with CPU's since the purchase of my Ryzen 7 5800X on release.

Any benefit jumping to the 3D from the standard 5800X? Not really looking to change motherboard & RAM just yet. I'm running a 4090

I've not really kept up with CPU's since the purchase of my Ryzen 7 5800X on release.

Any benefit jumping to the 3D from the standard 5800X? Not really looking to change motherboard & RAM just yet. I'm running a 4090
You’ll get a small bump but really if you’ve shelled out for a 4090 then it’s probably worth going straight to AM5 although personally I’d wait till zen 5 comes out in a few months.

Last edited:
so googling a fair bit, dangerous i know! but this is where i am at with my settings.
managed to get a 4.441mhz by applying optimised defaults. set a -25, temps are fine. i am using 3200 ram at the xmp settings although it sets the trc to 73 instead of the suggested 56, i cant seem to change that. and then read about setting ppt to 100, tdc to 70 and edc to 100. only other thing i have done is turn smt off.
anything i should/should not have done?

Back
Top Bottom