• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

I've had -20 offset on my CPU for about a year and it's been stable.

However a few days ago whilst playing Lies of P pc hard reset. I very much doubt a game can cause the pc to physically reboot so I lowered the offset to -15.

Pretty much same speeds any way.

Last edited:
Could it be your Ram getting hot again? That 4080 must pump out a good amount of heat. Or your PSU?

It could be... But surprisingly the 4080 is quite a cool card. Plus my room is pretty cold atm and the case is quite good for airflow.

Also the ram is at stock xmp (8 Pack ram does run at 1.45v though)

If it was the ram overheating that would be really unfortunate and disappointing considering it's rated at 1.45v and I am running stock xmp.

That's why I lowered the CPU offset as it's the only true "over clock" I'm running.

Plus haven't really noticed any speed difference between -30 and -15.

Last edited:
What are the timings on your ram out of interest? Have you got 3600c14stuff?
is this a factor? I have 3200 ram that i USED to OC to 3600 on my old Ryzen 3600 - after fitting the 5800x3d I haven't bothered yet to increase the IF/RAM speed as i understand it's less of a factor with the 5800x3d but i did intend on doing it at some stage.

Every little helps, but in Opethdisciple's case he had to scale back his RAM OC when he bought his 3080fe because it was getting too hot. I found the same with my g-skill. IIRC around 52/53 degrees started to act funny. Running faster speeds even without a voltage bump will make things hotter. Same with lower timings.

I've just upgraded from a 2700x. In Cyberpunk it's a staggering difference. Perfectly smooth. I always assumed that I simply needed a new GPU (though I'm due an upgrade) but the upgrade in CPU has made all the difference. The game feels so much better to play. I'm annoyed that I left it this long. £270 well spent.

I'm upgrading my RAM too which should arrive in an hour or two. 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000 to 32gb Vengeance 3600. I wonder if I'll notice anything.

Last edited:
Ok as we are discussing me...

My story was I had 8 Pack 3200Mhz ram that using the dram calculator I had running for a good year at 3600mhz cl14.

That was when I had my GTX 1080.

Once I put in my 3080 pc started to crash.

I had a 5600x at the time.

Upping the ram voltage didn't help. So I put the ram back to stock and all was well.

---

Back to the current pc, I'm pretty sure I've had -20 on the CPU for maybe a year. Lots of hours of gaming no problem.

However lies of P, pc literally rebooted.

August I upgraded to 4080 and another 16Gb of ram.

Personally I think it's the CPU undervolt that was the issue. The ram is at xmp. If it was overheating ram then it basically would not be fit for purpose as they are running at stock xmp timings.

Hopefully lowering the undervolt from -20 to -15 does the trick. Haven't noticed any speed difference anyway.

is this a factor? I have 3200 ram that i USED to OC to 3600 on my old Ryzen 3600 - after fitting the 5800x3d I haven't bothered yet to increase the IF/RAM speed as i understand it's less of a factor with the 5800x3d but i did intend on doing it at some stage.
It's silicon lottery, the memory controller is the same as on the 3000 series as far as I know (unless my memory fails me).

Last edited:
Dropped a 5800x3D into my Asus CH6 yesterday, set ram to 3600, dropped SoC v to 1.000, set fCLK to 1800, bCLK to 101 and dram v to 1.35 and seem to be running nicely, hit 4.6 on core 3 which seems to be strongest core so far.

EDIT: whats this -30 and -20 I keep seeing mentioned, where is that set?

Last edited:
Dropped a 5800x3D into my Asus CH6 yesterday, set ram to 3600, dropped SoC v to 1.000, set fCLK to 1800, bCLK to 101 and dram v to 1.35 and seem to be running nicely, hit 4.6 on core 3 which seems to be strongest core so far.

EDIT: whats this -30 and -20 I keep seeing mentioned, where is that set?

See my post here.

Essentially all this -20, -30 stuff is regarding applying a voltage offset to the CPU so that it boosts higher and runs cooler.

If you look at the link above you will see the settings to apply. Start at -30 and decrease by -5 if you have any instability until pc is stable.

I'm at -15 even though a lot of people say -30 is rock stable for them.

Last edited:
See my post here.

Essentially all this -20, -30 stuff is regarding applying a voltage offset to the CPU so that it boosts higher and runs cooler.

If you look at the link above you will see the settings to apply. Start at -30 and decrease by -5 if you have any instability until pc is stable.

I'm at -15 even though a lot of people say -30 is rock stable for them.
I don't know if this is true but a while ago I remember reading on some forum that disabling global c states can improve stability at lower voltage offsets. I've had it disabled since I got my 5800X3D 6 months ago and it's fully stable at -30; no game crashes or reboots and passed the core cycler program for several days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom