• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Noticed the second hand prices of these chips are rising. Time to jump ship to AM5? Can sell it for almost what I paid for it 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Seems like the 5800x3d is being phased out or something, supply seems much shorter than the 5700x3d and the price is just wrong by comparison. I always thought I would pick a 5800x3d up cheap second hand when someone jumps to AM5 but as you say the price is going up. I see that the super cheap 5700x3d are down to £115 inc vat now, just going to jump on that I think.

Last edited:
Seems like the 5800x3d is being phased out or something, supply seems much shorter than the 5700x3d and the price is just wrong by comparison. I always thought I would pick a 5900x3d up cheap second hand when someone jumps to AM5 but as you say the price is going up. I see that the super cheap 5700x3d are down to £115 inc vat now, just going to jump on that I think.

At that price no point paying the extra for a 5800x3d.

Last edited:
Seems like the 5800x3d is being phased out or something, supply seems much shorter than the 5700x3d and the price is just wrong by comparison. I always thought I would pick a 5900x3d up cheap second hand when someone jumps to AM5 but as you say the price is going up. I see that the super cheap 5700x3d are down to £115 inc vat now, just going to jump on that I think.
think it's just because it's the end of the line for upgrades on that socket. It's like the Q9650s of old

Just for clarity I posted that in the middle of doing a load of other stuff and never meant to mislead anyone. I have now looked again properly and need revise my statement. The actual situation is £114+VAT and free delivery, I was also mistakenly thinking you could use an easily found discount code to remove £15, turns out thats not valid but there is one for £6 but there may be other better ones. So upshot is all in cost would be £130, depending on your google fu re discount codes.

Just for clarity I posted that in the middle of doing a load of other stuff and never meant to mislead anyone. I have now looked again properly and need revise my statement. The actual situation is £114+VAT and free delivery, I was also mistakenly thinking you could use an easily found discount code to remove £15, turns out thats not valid but there is one for £6 but there may be other better ones. So upshot is all in cost would be £130, depending on your google fu re discount codes.

at the cost if you can trust the shop its a no brainer

For gamers is there any reason to upgrade from this CPU yet? I'm struggling to see any instance I'd want to with a 4080, a 5080 (so 4090+10) I still think I could get away with this CPU.

Perhaps the 3200 memory will be the limiting factor first.

the AMD contract with globalfoundries is over soon (2025). the only reason AM4 lasted so long is they had a contract with globalfoundries to produce CPU till 2025

Pretty sure glofo haven't produced an AMD cpu in a while. The I/O maybe, but CPUs have been TSMC for ages. One of the reasons AMD caught up with Intel was the process advantage

Does that mean all AM4 CPUs are/ have gone the same way ?

No I think it just means AMD is not or has not bothered producing any more new 5800X3Ds recently (hence most retailer's stock drying up in recent months, if not dropping it altogether), but it'll be replaced with the 5700X3D as the last hurrah for AM4, which is basically just a lower binned 5800X3D, so AMD probably have a fair amount of that given how popular the 5800X3D was.

AM4 is definitely on its last legs though. It is 8 years old by now.

Back
Top Bottom