• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Soldato
I'm mulling this exact upgrade at the minute, although with a 4080 I think I might be even more CPU bottlenecked than you. Glad to hear you noticed a difference. That's useful info, thank you.
If it's any help I run one with a 4090 and it's been brilliant. Certainly don't feel bottlenecked at all especially when dialling up the details on everything at 1440p 280hz.

Most of these benchmarks which you'll have seen will be running the 5800x3D with no PBO enhancement applied. The fact that you can put these chips pretty easily to -30 means when there's load (especially when gaming) you should get consistent max clocks at all times.

1% lows were noticeably better when I switched and that was only from a 5700x.

Associate
I went ahead with this, so I'm now running a 5800X3D. It's a big step from the 3700X. Approx 50% better according the Cinebench, but also I've noticed that some stuttering in games is gone.

I've been playing with the voltage to bring temps down. Running at 73C with a -0.06375V offset. I'll do some more tinkering over the weekend.

Associate
I went ahead with this, so I'm now running a 5800X3D. It's a big step from the 3700X. Approx 50% better according the Cinebench, but also I've noticed that some stuttering in games is gone.

I've been playing with the voltage to bring temps down. Running at 73C with a -0.06375V offset. I'll do some more tinkering over the weekend.
Have you looked at the curve optimizer easy way to reduce voltage

Associate
Just about to join the club I've got a a 5800x3d coming upgrading from a 5600x, how's best to set this up for gaming?.. Take it I'll be OK with - 30 negative offset, is there any pbo setting to adjust to like the 5600x I did +200?

Soldato
Stock. However I did have to have to bump something in the bios because of the Ryzen power reporting bug. My unify over reported power so I had to adjust

I've got CPU VDD Full scale current at 225

Last edited:
Associate
The only tweak I made to mine when I bought it a year ago was setting -30. Reduced temps by 10°c and runs at max clocks whenever needed. It's a great CPU and will allow great FPS with any current card (of not the best).

If you're only gaming and already have an AM4 mobo then it's a no-brainer should you be looking not to spend much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom