• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D retail processor has been tested ahead of launch

Associate
No one complained about using unrealistic setting to test CPU performance in games when Intel had a clear lead.

shouldn't bench any CPU at 720p. I'm interested in this CPU to replace my 1700. I don't game at 720p like pretty much everyone who is going to buy this CPU. Its willy waving at its finest. How does it perform at 1080 & 1440. is it worth it over say the 5700x that is significantly cheaper. If you happen to game at 720p at the lowest settings then sure its a nice test to do.

Soldato
shouldn't bench any CPU at 720p. I'm interested in this CPU to replace my 1700. I don't game at 720p like pretty much everyone who is going to buy this CPU. Its willy waving at its finest. How does it perform at 1080 & 1440. is it worth it over say the 5700x that is significantly cheaper. If you happen to game at 720p at the lowest settings then sure its a nice test to do.
The reason you are running at 720p is because cpus are replaced way less frequently than gpus. So you are going to keep a cpu for 2 or even 3 gpu upgrades so 720p with todays graphics card is going to show you how the cpu can perform at 1440p with a gpu 2 years from now.

So for example, cpu A can get 200 fps and costs 200 euros while cpu B can get 1000 fps and costs 300 euros. You might think whats the points of spending an extra 100 euros since at 1440p they are both getting 60,but fact is the extra 100 euros will get you way better longevity, saving you more money in the process.

In order not to upset anyone, lets compare 2 cpus from the same brand. When the 8700k was released it performed exactly the same with the 7700k at 1440p. Would it be smart for me to save 50 euros and get the 7700k since im playing at 1440p?

Last edited:
Associate
Not again the 720p discussion... every single time
It should be pinned on top of CPU forum. There are valid reasons to test without GPU bottleneck and there are valid complaints that it often doesn't matter.

Btw I predict that 5800X3D huge cache CPU will also perform best in GPU limit cases. Games love cache, always have.

Associate
I am a little lost as to why 720p is a bad benchmark if it tests CPU headroom without GPU being a limiting factor. surely we want all results 720p (for future reference), the 1080p, 1440p and 4k

If we have all of those across a variety of games then that is a really good resource for us to look at when picking a CPU for gaming !!

Associate
Regardless of resolution the point is it's a faster cpu than the 12900k in that benchmark (certainly at that one game). The results will scale even with higher resolutions although the difference will be smaller.

If you test a 12900K against an 8700k at 720p the results will show the 12900k to be higher, but the 12900k results are higher at 4k too. Obviously that gap is smaller at that resolution but the 12900k is still faster than the 8700k.

The point of testing at a very low resolution is to make the benchmark as cpu bound as possible.

Are people expecting the 4k results to show that the 12900k is suddenly faster in that one game? And even if the 5800X3D is faster in most games at usable resolutions the reality is the 12900k is still an overall better processor, but the point of this processor is to be affordable and perform very well in gaming. There's a market out there for that.

I've also not ever understood brand loyalty, yes I've personally had more intel cpu's but that's because over a long length of time they have been better processors.

But if a chinese company randomly released a cpu that was the best out there I'd be interested in that too.

Are certain individuals not going to entertain an intel GPU for example if that's better because of a weird loyalty to amd or nvidia?!

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow that benchmark difference is impressive will be interesting to see other games, considering its refresh chip and pop in upgrade to now 6 year old socket

Soldato
OP
Great. Want to see 1440P, although at that resolution there will likely be barely any difference.

Still boggles the mind to see there are some interested in 1440P, why do people enjoy playing at less than console resolution (4k) in 2022?!

720P benchmarks are still important, due to it's impact on minimum FPS at 4k, plus an indicator of how CPU's will handle future generations of GPU. Not everyone upgrades every year these days.

Associate
Still boggles the mind to see there are some interested in 1440P, why do people enjoy playing at less than console resolution (4k) in 2022?!

720P benchmarks are still important, due to it's impact on minimum FPS at 4k, plus an indicator of how CPU's will handle future generations of GPU. Not everyone upgrades every year these days.
I assume your joking ? As 1440p is where you can get decent monitors at decent refresh for less than 1k

Associate
Some people prefer gaming at high framerates and the hardware available today can't pump out high framerates at 4k in every game. That's why DLSS is even a thing, 4k is so demanding, especially with raytracing.

I can't even get a solid 60fps at 4k in Tina's Wonderlands (in certain areas) and that's with a 5950x and 3090.

So I do use a 75% resolution scale in game which is technically giving me a 1440p render resolution and I get over 100fps.

The experience is more enjoyable than 50fps at 4k for me personally. I'm hoping the next gen cards will make gaming at 4k 120 achievable in most games.

Soldato

Huh ? Some people want to play with high frames ? Competitive online ? Not everyone wants to play front of massive screen ? 4k isn't even worth it on smaller screens ain't even gonna notice the difference while sacrificing frames

Pretty sure 1440p is called the sweet spot, picture quality with high frames

This generation doesn't even have much headroom at 4k you need all this upscaling don't know how much lifespan you will have at 4k with current cards , maybe next gen will give the headroom at 4k with higher consistent frames

Console's at 4k sometimes they upscale are capped at like 30-60fps , I couldn't go back to that just feels stuttery to me now

Last edited:
Soldato

Some like well north of a 100 fps. Although, 4K monitors with 120hz and DLSS options does make it a better purchase if one can afford it.

Soldato
OP
Some people prefer gaming at high framerates and the hardware available today can't pump out high framerates at 4k in every game. That's why DLSS is even a thing, 4k is so demanding, especially with raytracing.

I can't even get a solid 60fps at 4k in Tina's Wonderlands (in certain areas) and that's with a 5950x and 3090.

So I do use a 75% resolution scale in game which is technically giving me a 1440p render resolution and I get over 100fps.

The experience is more enjoyable than 50fps at 4k for me personally. I'm hoping the next gen cards will make gaming at 4k 120 achievable in most games.

Yet to find any game I can't get 'high' FPS on at 4k. Of course, can't run all AAA games 4k all settings max, though 4k medium looks so much better than lower resolutions such as 1440P on max, IMO at leasy. Literally can't stand jagged edges and low resolution graphics.

I assume your joking ? As 1440p is where you can get decent monitors at decent refresh for less than 1k

4K TV's (LG OLED's) are typically much better than monitors at £1k or under, though these do require big desks, or wall mounting.

4K OLED have been available brand new at £1k or less, also easy to get second hand ones for far less than this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Yet to find any game I can't get 'high' FPS on at 4k. Of course, can't run all AAA games 4k all settings max, though 4k medium looks so much better than lower resolutions such as 1440P on max, IMO at leasy. Literally can't stand jagged edges and low resolution graphics.

What do you consider high FPS ? Settings maxed ? No dlss ?
Because the screen is 40+ inches in size ? Of course 1440p won't look as good not everyone prefers playing with screen that large

Back
Top Bottom