• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
I’ve got some very interesting images waiting to be added to the thousands of images already. Spoiler, some are very much not good and likely the cause of failure.

Two CPU’s are particularly interesting. Possible manufacturing defects detected. Could make for some rather topical YouTube content.

Associate
I'm in the same boat dude. First time going all-in with AMD. :rolleyes:
:cry: Hard choice, wait for things to settle with am5 which has upgrade path or go with am4 or Intel which are both dead ends. Like you im also going AMD GPU, hopefully 7900xt. Last time I had AMD GPU was 15 years ago. Guess just wait and see, hard when internet is full of information overload.

Associate
It's very frustrating. I have a 7800X3D still in the box and I need to decide whether to keep it or not. My chosen board, the X670E Aorus Master, just had the latest BIOS removed from the Gigabyte website. Again.

I really don't want to go with Intel because I want to use my Noctua D15. :rolleyes: Too much heat and power.

Soldato
:cry: Hard choice, wait for things to settle with am5 which has upgrade path or go with am4 or Intel which are both dead ends. Like you im also going AMD GPU, hopefully 7900xt. Last time I had AMD GPU was 15 years ago. Guess just wait and see, hard when internet is full of information overload.
Remember, follow the money ;)

Soldato
It's very frustrating. I have a 7800X3D still in the box and I need to decide whether to keep it or not. My chosen board, the X670E Aorus Master, just had the latest BIOS removed from the Gigabyte website. Again.

I really don't want to go with Intel because I want to use my Noctua D15. :rolleyes: Too much heat and power.

13900k runs just fine with a D15. It's as good as a 280mm AIO, only slightly eclipsed by a (much louder) 360mm AIO.

I've got a NH-D15S on my 7950X, complete overkill as it's such a lower power and efficient chip :D

Associate
nc0uz9kra0ya1.png
:cry:

Associate
Am I right in thinking this HWInfo reading suggests that my SoC voltage is at 1.3V, meaning it's being overvolted? I had EXPO turned on briefly (for a couple of hours) but it's off now and I still seem to have the voltage at 1.3. I did however set my RAM speed to 6000 MHz as this is the speed of RAM I bought and it was previously running at about half that, should I change this back to auto? I feel like I'm quite a noob amongst hardware enthusiasts so apologies if these questions seem quite obvious

nBE2xvI.png

EDIT: I decided to just take the initiative and put the memory clock to Auto and now it seems to be running at 2400 MHz with the SoC voltage at 1.030V. I guess this is a lot safer for now, I honestly have no idea in what way I could run into RAM bottlenecks but I'll just leave it there until the mobo manufacturers get their act together.

Last edited:
Associate
2400mhz DDR is 4800mhz so stock speeds, and 1.05v is stock SOC volts so yes everything is fine.

The best bet if anyone really is worried is exactly that, leave everything alone at stock and see what happens over the next month or so with BIOS updates and every YouTuber no doubt trying their hardest to break chips.

Caporegime
There is an argument that some board vendors are doing this as lazy way of insuring high frequency compatibility instead of properly validating all the different memory types individually, which takes someone physically doing that.

Just pump them full of volts.....

In which case there is no quick fix, they have to do the job properly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The think that concerns me about all this is the only reason we know about it is because the X3D chips are particularly vulnerable to over-volting, pump them with too much high voltage and they go pop right away.
Other CPU's would still degrade, all be it much more gradually.

I think someone also needs to look at Intel boards because if they are doing it with AMD and we didn't know about it because they don't blow right away you can be sure they are doing exactly the same thing on Intel boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
The think that concerns me about all this is the only reason we know about it is because the X3D chips are particularly vulnerable to over-volting, pump them with too much high voltage and they go pop right away.
Other CPU's would still degrade, all be it much more gradually.

I think someone also needs to look at Intel boards because if they are doing it with AMD and we didn't know about it because they don't blow right away you can be sure they are doing exactly the same thing on Intel boards.
They do it on intel boards as well, but Intel cpus don't give a damn. Gigabyte boards used to pump up to 1.55v on SA and 1.45+ on IO voltage for years at xmp settings.

Back
Top Bottom