• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
Some of Steves theories do seem to be a bit speculative. Im not denying there is any issues.
I think the concern is with these things if channels do something and it has a lot of success you can overdo or overegg it a bit - it's only natural to try to chase the numbers a bit although GN generally is one of the better ones. Has anyone on this forum found anything at all?

Associate
I think the concern is with these things if channels do something and it has a lot of success you can overdo or overegg it a bit - it's only natural to try to chase the numbers a bit although GN generally is one of the better ones. Has anyone on this forum found anything at all?

Purely anecdotal but mine has been great. Far exceeded my expectations.

Associate
I checked my 7800x3D which has been used with my x670e Hero since launch. No problems present and works great.

Associate
It's actually worse because if you install a beta BIOS and your motherboard dies, it's not covered under warranty. Check their disclaimers on every website (coz I cba :))

So, as far as I'm concerned, as long as there are only beta BIOS available they still haven't actually fixed the problem.

Soldato
It's actually worse because if you install a beta BIOS and your motherboard dies, it's not covered under warranty. Check their disclaimers on every website (coz I cba :))

So, as far as I'm concerned, as long as there are only beta BIOS available they still haven't actually fixed the problem.
I've been doing this a long time. I've never seen/heard of a motherboard warranty being refused due to installing a beta BIOS. The most that'll be done during a RMA is a quick visual check, to match the serial number, check no obvious physical user damage.

They don't have time to pull/access the BIOS chip on a dead motherboard, to query the BIOS revision, then compare this to the full/beta release numbers to check.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd recommend all Ryzen 7000 owners to inspect their CPU's contact pads and motherboard socket pins, check this video to see the angle/lightning you need to spot the visible burn marks (will likely be much less noticeable if your CPU is damaged but still working)

Maybe all LGA based systems. Cleaning the pads once in while will prolong the service life, especially on a CPU that pulls a lot of power and produces a lot of heat.

Soldato
And if there’s burn marks, what then?
Send CPU back to Overclockers for refund or replacement?

If there's burn marks it's already dead :p

You will learn absolutely nothing from looking at your cpu.

Maybe all LGA based systems. Cleaning the pads once in while will prolong the service life, especially on a CPU that pulls a lot of power and produces a lot of heat.

Clean them of what :confused:

They are out of a packet straight into a socket. The only dirt on the pads is if you start "cleaning" them.

Soldato
OP

Take Gigabyte for instance, it takes them ages to move their latest bioses out of beta status, like they gave up on them, and when I say ages, I mean months and months, it had to be at least 9 months before they moved a bios for my X570S master out of beta to final, and when they did, if I remember correctly the beta for AGESA V2 1.2.0.7 came out 2 weeks later, thats only recently been moved to final and a new beta for AGESA V2 1.2.0.8 is now available, now if I dont flash those beta's, i'll of been missing out on the latest fixes etc for god knows how long, so I know the disclaimers may say a beta isnt covered, but I really dont think they could deny you a warranty repair or replacement because you board has a beta bios on it, I mean hell, they put them on the site for the public to download and flash.

Last edited:
Soldato

They are out of a packet straight into a socket. The only dirt on the pads is if you start "cleaning" them.

Mostly oxidation and very fine dust. I’ve been surprised with the amount of finger grease I’ve found on pads.

Associate

Man, this x such a big number...the amount of posts advising to check CPUs for burn marks on otherwise fully functioning systems.

Have people even seen what 5nm looks like? No they haven't because no-one has or ever will be able to with the naked eye. How hot does it need to be to burn a pcb or scorch metal? If you can see physical damage the CPU would be so far beyond dead. These suggestions are ridiculous.

Associate
New bios available for Asus B650E-E

“ ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI BIOS 1602
Version 1602 Beta Version
9.19 MB 2023/05/04
"1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000 series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.”

Last edited:
Associate
Man, this x such a big number...the amount of posts advising to check CPUs for burn marks on otherwise fully functioning systems.

Have people even seen what 5nm looks like? No they haven't because no-one has or ever will be able to with the naked eye. How hot does it need to be to burn a pcb or scorch metal? If you can see physical damage the CPU would be so far beyond dead. These suggestions are ridiculous.
Dude! At this point I'm just so skeptical about this whole fiasco that comments like "Check your CPU for burn marks" are people just trolling.

Associate

Come again? You got any proof of LGA based systems having this issue as a platform deficiency?

Or maybe = I’ll make up a wider issue to defend my team.

Soldato
Come again? You got any proof of LGA based systems having this issue as a platform deficiency?

Or maybe = I’ll make up a wider issue to defend my team.

Google LGA burnt CPU pins?

As expected lots of images of burnt pads on google. Have a few faulty Intel servers currently sitting on healing benches. Can open and provide images? 100% will find scorch marks, discolouration and charred pins sockets.

Last edited:
Associate
Google LGA burnt CPU pins?

As expected lots of images of burnt pads on google. Have a few faulty Intel servers currently sitting on healing benches. Can open and provide images? 100% will find scorch marks, discolouration and charred pins sockets.

Yeah let's see them along with info. Maybe my google is broken.

I equally struggled to find a scenario where the manufacturer and partners had to run around and mitigate the issue. Maybe you can help me find that also.

Last edited:
Soldato

I equally struggled to find a scenario where the manufacturer and partners had to run around and mitigate the issue. Maybe you can help me find that also.

I think it’s becoming clear that you are struggling, I’m sensing a lot of focus group rage.

What’s the magic word?

Soldato
OP

Yup, your google must be broken, either that you you just simply couldnt be bothered to look, came straight up for me:

If you click on all instead of images you'll get loads of threads about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom