• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
The think that concerns me about all this is the only reason we know about it is because the X3D chips are particularly vulnerable to over-volting, pump them with too much high voltage and they go pop right away.
Other CPU's would still degrade, all be it much more gradually.

I think someone also needs to look at Intel boards because if they are doing it with AMD and we didn't know about it because they don't blow right away you can be sure they are doing exactly the same thing on Intel boards.
The fact that Intel users report good results from undervolting tells me they are also pumping in more voltage than required. Probably saves money on binning too, lower quality chips will still make the grade to be sold for more?

Caporegime
They do it on intel boards as well, but Intel cpus don't give a damn. Gigabyte boards used to pump up to 1.55v on SA and 1.45+ on IO voltage for years at xmp settings.

Physics doesn't work like that, its either too high or it isn't, the more electrons you push through a circuit the more friction in that circuit, the more friction the more heat is generated, the more heat that is generated the more resistance in the circuit and the more heat is generated, which generates more friction again.... and with that if the circuit is over loaded you have a run away thermal problem.

Even if the circuit is cool it will still degrade as any circuit, unless at absolute zero celsius has resistance, its that resistance that causes the electrons to literally rip that circuit to pieces over time, the more electrons and or heat resistance you have the faster that will happen, its why for longevity its best to keep these things as cool as possible.

Having an Intel logo on it doesn't negate that, its made from the same stuff as everything else.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The fact that Intel users report good results from undervolting tells me they are also pumping in more voltage than required. Probably saves money on binning too, lower quality chips will still make the grade to be sold for more?

Yeah, someone need's to look in to this, even if they last the duration of the warranty, which depending on how 'too' high it is it might not, either way if it is too high then it WILL have a shorter life than Intel designed in to it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is another way to explain this.

Heat is the movement of molecules, the hotter something is the more those molecules move, electrons are a physical thing, as they move through the circuit they occasionally smash in to molecules and destroy them, that generates heat, its the resistance part of the equation, the higher the voltage the more electrons are moving through the circuit the more opportunity to smash in to molecules, so more heat, resistance. and the more molecules are being destroyed, the degradation or breaking down of the circuit.

Only at absolute zero are those molecules completely still, minus 273c.

Last edited:
Soldato
Physics doesn't work like that, its either too high or it isn't, the more electrons you push through a circuit the more friction in that circuit, the more friction the more heat is generated, the more heat that is generated the more resistance in the circuit and the more heat is generated, which generates more friction again.... and with that if the circuit is over loaded you have a run away thermal problem.

Even if the circuit is cool it will still degrade as any circuit, unless at absolute zero celsius has resistance, its that resistance that causes the electrons to literally rip that circuit to pieces over time, the more electrons and or heat resistance you have the faster that will happen, its why for longevity its best to keep these things as cool as possible.

Having an Intel logo on it doesn't negate that, its made from the same stuff as everything else.
Uhm, obviously even with 1volt electromigration occurs, you can't stop it. The point is, Intel cpus don't go kaboom in a matter of days / weeks. I mean your own post proves it, you said it yourself, the problem is easier to reproduce on x3ds cause they are more sensitive to voltage. So not all CPUS are equally sensitive, right?

Caporegime
Uhm, obviously even with 1volt electromigration occurs, you can't stop it. The point is, Intel cpus don't go kaboom in a matter of days / weeks. I mean your own post proves it, you said it yourself, the problem is easier to reproduce on x3ds cause they are more sensitive to voltage. So not all CPUS are equally sensitive, right?

You're making that assumption by reading the relevant voltage as higher than it is for Ryzen, doesn't mean it isn't within guided tolerances, it just means the power stage is differently set up, its probably at a lower amperage or it just needs that much power and is designed for it.

A Ryzen core will quite happily run at 1.55v, they do quite a lot depending on the load, shove 1.55v in to an Intel core and watch it burn, the Ryzen core is running at half the amperage of an Intel core.

Watts is amperage multiplied by voltage.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're making that assumption by reading the relevant voltage as higher than it is for Ryzen, doesn't mean it isn't within guided tolerances, it just means the power stage is differently set up, its probably at a lower amperage or it just needs that much power and is designed for it.

A Ryzen core will quite happily run at 1.55v, they do quite a lot depending on the load, shove 1.55v in to an Intel core and watch it burn, the Ryzen core is running at half the amperage of an Intel core.

Watts is amperage multiplied by voltage.
You were specifically talking about the IMC / soc voltage. Now you are talking about vcore voltage because you were wrong. Aye aye.

I've run 1.64 volts on my 12900k for 5.6 ghz all core, happily played games (at 114c mind you). It's still working, no signs of degradation whatsoever. So yeah, try something else.

Anyways, this is an amd thread, please don't pull me with your intel hating obsession. Im out - if you want to keep talking about it take it to an intel thread, ty

Last edited:
Caporegime
You were specifically talking about the IMC / soc voltage. Now you are talking about vcore voltage because you were wrong. Aye aye.

I've run 1.64 volts on my 12900k for 5.6 ghz all core, happily played games (at 114c mind you). It's still working, no signs of degradation whatsoever. So yeah, try something else.

Anyways, this is an amd thread, please don't pull me with your intel hating obsession. Im out - if you want to keep talking about it take it to an intel thread, ty

You did what?

I'm quoting this for the record...

Soldato
If i see it on the MM i'll be having a quick word with the buyer.

Don't anyone ever buy anything from the person.
I never sell my hardware, and I never sell it on ocuk regardless cause I don't live in the UK, so yeah good luck with that. Regardless the CPU is as good as the day I bought it, absolutely 0 signs of degradation. It's running at 1.06v, an undervolt of 0.2volts which is insane. If that's degraded, please, I wish the next CPU I buy is degraded too :)

Anyways, you changed the subject, again, to avoid admitting you were wrong. This is getting boring

Last edited:
Soldato
GM failure lab claims there is a "unknown amount of damage to the cpus out there in the field already" (degradation) and they are working on a new video.

Of course, that was evident when the news came out

Many peoples CPUs have been overvolted to the point where it affects stability. AM5 has been out long enough now that the worst quality silicon is dying, but in another year or two who knows how many more Ryzen CPUs will die if they don't reduce the voltage

It's a ****** situation because if you've been able to identity your cpu was overvolted due to the bugs, your CPU is now degraded. But at the same time it may still be performing without issue at stock and therefore you cannot RMA it - I'd almost be tempted to purposely run an old bios to kill the cpu and get a new replacement

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course, that was evident when the news came out

Many peoples CPUs have been overvolted to the point where it affects stability. AM5 has been out long enough now that the worst quality silicon is dying, but in another year or two who knows how many more Ryzen CPUs will die if they don't reduce the voltage

It's a ****** situation because if you've been able to identity your cpu was overvolted due to the bugs, your CPU is now degraded. But at the same time it may still be performing without issue at stock and therefore you cannot RMA it

It seems a very small number have any issue at all. Outside of people overvolting with a heavy OC and poor cooling… running without a heat sink and so on.

Run the latest BIOS, make sure temps are reasonable and run the system. If at some point the chip fails return it.

Permabanned
Gigabyte has released F5C, but I'll be staying on F5B for a while now.

Notes are just dreadful. No compelling reason to update whatsoever, the highlight is a 1.3v SoC voltage warning in BIOS...

Associate
Think its probably worse timing for those of us who've just built one! :cry:
I'm actually kind of glad now that the 7950x3d was basically nonexistent for a month and a half at this point. It meant I only had the CPU at the higher SoC value for like 3 or 4 days before the word got out about it potentially being an issue, lol.

Back
Top Bottom