• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
OP
Steve: "In the end we came to the conclusion that the AM5 platform is a complete mess"

beta testing is not done, AM5 bios even the newest ones released in the last few days are filled with bugs
Yes I agree, makes me wonder why there is an ASUS bios floating around out there thats not on the boards website but labelled 1410, however there is also a beta bios on the boards website labelled 1401 ???

Sounds like they are fixing a bios thats still in beta but put the beta out anyway, yeah right.......that sounds safe to flash......NOT.

I think the video and findings from GN will spark a lot more bios updates, especially from ASUS

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ASUS definitely need to revise its boards. Shipping boards with non functional OCP is truly terrible.
Not non functional, as per GNs video, theyve just not fully utilised all the features, he said they were simply being lazy, im pretty sure this can be done with bios updates.

What a mess, and impressively so. Ironically said it was a mess earlier on and people were very quick to defend AMD - how do you feel about it now? xD

The fact that ASUS have rushed out so many BIOS versions too is making me pause on upgrading my own purely because I have to question how tested and reliable these updates are, especially given the lack of testing originally. At least it does for the most part still look to come down to SoC voltage, so with mine set manually at 1.2v I can't see any reason to upgrade for now, until the current/next BIOS have matured and been actually tested somewhat.
It doesnt need to be thoroughly tested now though, they know what the problems are, they just need to test those parts.

I’m so ****** off with this I would return this crap if I was still within 14 days return policy.
I don’t want to run soc at 1.3v as GM showed that actuall voltage can be higher by about 0.05v and who knows if not more.
Right now I’m running with manual soc voltage.
Started at 1.23v and had a reboot after few hours of use (it rebooted when idling)
then increased it to 1.24v and again had a reboot after a while.
I’m now at 1.25v.
Should have gone Intel after all. :mad:
Im surprised you are needing that much SOC voltage, im running 1.15v SOC, 1.25v MC voltage and 1.1v MISC, Ryzen 9 7900 and my ram specs are the same as yours, 6000mhz, but CL32, however im using buildzoids tightened ram timings, I ran memtest pro yesterday for 14 hours, no errors, 3000%.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Seems Asus OCP is non functioning to me. Not the first board to suffer from this type of issue either. Asus have been playing loose and fast with Intel and it’s Intel boards for years. Even pushing to the point of self destruction.

13.47 to 14.50 in the GN Video.

I’m running cl30 XMP profile.

CL30 isnt that much different to CL32, I wouldnt expect it to need that much more SOC voltage, and XMP would be way easier than buildzoids timings, for a start ive reduced TRAS from 96 to 28.

Going to flash the 1410 beta now, see what difference it makes with EXPO enabled to the default voltages.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Who else?

Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI, all of them, watch the GN video, Gigabyte are mentioned right at the beginning of the video.

Just flashed the 1410 beta bios, which I dont really like doing, but hey ho, with EXPO enabled, the previous SOC voltage was 1.35v, now its 1.3 ish volts, ive backed it off to 1.2v manually set and also backed off the MC voltage as it really doesnt need 1.36v, ive set that to 1.25v, there is also an option in the Advanced menu for PROCHOT which defaults to Auto, but auto could be disabled, so ive enabled that.

gVC3vrV.jpg

This is with EXPO enabled:
HayBOhy.jpg

This is EXPO disabled, hard set everything:
pAviO5T.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I can’t believe all manufacturers have non functional OCP. Sorry chap but I’m not buying it.

Thats up to you, but its true, just requires a bit of Googling.

Heres one of the ASRock ones, theres another ASRock one floating around which is a video of the chip swollen up, (cant find the link right now, its in this thread somewhere), https://twitter.com/hms1193/status/1650879743947079680?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1650879743947079680|twgr^092e6c481927e11ff2967777267d2251e4f865a5|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d-cpu-burns-up.18971154/page-7

This was a 7700X, the only way they swell up like that and burn the pins in the socket is when they are still being fed high current and overheating after already being killed, failure of the OCP.

Der8auer 7900X too did the same thing, and shows the other ASRock chip damaged at 1min 10 seconds in his video, also shows the MSI boards damaging chips, and shows the chip from a Gigabyte X670 board which go so hot it de-soldered itself: https://youtu.be/arDqhxM8Wog

Thats why all board manufacturers are releasing fixes via bios updates.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, one is a post on twitter. The other is a video from a salesman with a sponsorship, who may or may not have a vested interest in a particular brand.
Yup, one post is on twitter from a everyday joe, like every CPU that has died whether it be in an ASUS board, Gigabyte Board, MSI Board or ASRock board, so again, what difference does it make.

Why would you think ASUS are to blame if you cant believe all the other boards are to blame too, maybe non of the boards are to blame and its AMD's fault, they provide the AGESA updates after all to board partners.

Soldato
OP
The vast majority of failures are Asus boards, the others likely from manual overclocks and deaths from early failure.
ummm no, ASRock have had 2 chip failures, Gigabyte and MSI 1 to what we know of, all for the same reason, the motherboard has continued to pump current into the chip and fry the socket even after the chip has died causing the socket to burn and the chip to swell up, 1 of those was at default settings for everything, it was one of the chips sent into GN, how many have ASUS had ?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To be fair, that's not true, the guy who sent it in said he wasn't running EXPO. Not running EXPO and running at stock are not the same thing if we assume they are being truthful.
I agree on the last part "if hes telling the truth", however, 4min 40sec in the GN video, User Skyfish lost his chip on a Gigabyte motherboard, he wasnt running EXPO, No OC and running factory settings, the motherboard survived though, the chip still died in the usual way'ish, he had only just finished the build, had booted to the bios once on bios F2 and was in the process of updating the board to bios F5 when the chip died.

Heres that mega thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/12yq4yb/megathread_for_am5_ryzen_7000/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
He needs to do another video for people who don't use expo, see how the soc voltage behaves then, because I set everything up manually, ram related, voltage, timings, speed etc, I've left the AMD overclock menu well alone, but it seems I need to go into it and duplicate my voltages in there too to make sure the volatges stick, at the moment I've only set them up in the AI tweaker menu, I'm got an Asus boards, but I serious doubt it's behaving any differently to the gigabyte board buildzoid was using, it coming down to the new agesa from AMD at the moment I expect.

Soldato
OP
I don't recall it being in the media until it started happening with the X3D chips. If it did happen, it was quite a small number.
It's still quite a small number when you think about how many chips they sold, I think it was first noticed when the first 7800X3D went pop, then everyone started checking their chips, it just a big thing because let's face it, if it was just 1 they would probably just brush it under the carpet, but as it's a few it's made headlines in the tech world, and become something that must be fixed, I'm sure AMD and board partners don't want to have to eventually replace everyone's CPU and motherboard.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
As someone planning to build a new PC today with a 7600X and MSI B650 board, I'm a little worried although it does seem to be a bit more prevalent with X3D CPUs and Asus boards. Would you guys think I'm likely safe with these and leaving everything stock? I imagine the safest advice is wait until a new bios comes out that's out of beta etc. although I have a pile of parts sat there ready to be built and I'm very keen to do it. I'd been reading about all this the last couple of days but previously thought it was only the new 3D CPUs with the issue until now.
We'll look at it this way, I'm running an Asus board with a 7900 and I'm using overclocked settings on my ram, granted I've hard set my voltages but it seems this isn't enough, however, me along with a shed load of other people are still using our systems, we've not just switched them off and put them away in a cupboard somewhere to collect dust until the issue is fixed, so really it's up to you, but there's a lot more working chips than there is killed chips.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply, just setting up my USB drive with the latest beta bios now. I guess I'm quite rusty on hardware stuff as I didn't realise the SoC voltage and Core voltage were different although I'm doing a bit of googling now.

The RAM I'm using is Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz C36
You need to F7 and be in the advanced menu to see all the voltages and what they are running at.

Soldato
OP
It's actually worse because if you install a beta BIOS and your motherboard dies, it's not covered under warranty. Check their disclaimers on every website (coz I cba :))

So, as far as I'm concerned, as long as there are only beta BIOS available they still haven't actually fixed the problem.
Take Gigabyte for instance, it takes them ages to move their latest bioses out of beta status, like they gave up on them, and when I say ages, I mean months and months, it had to be at least 9 months before they moved a bios for my X570S master out of beta to final, and when they did, if I remember correctly the beta for AGESA V2 1.2.0.7 came out 2 weeks later, thats only recently been moved to final and a new beta for AGESA V2 1.2.0.8 is now available, now if I dont flash those beta's, i'll of been missing out on the latest fixes etc for god knows how long, so I know the disclaimers may say a beta isnt covered, but I really dont think they could deny you a warranty repair or replacement because you board has a beta bios on it, I mean hell, they put them on the site for the public to download and flash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom