• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
There has been BIOS versions removed, and yes there are beta BIOS files available for download, but at least for my x670e-f there’s 1303 which isn’t beta and just states “
ROG STRIX X670E-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 1303

Version 1303
9.18 MB 2023/04/27
SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000X3D series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SX670EF.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.”

Sticking with that for now, which seems sensible

Soldato
There has been BIOS versions removed, and yes there are beta BIOS files available for download, but at least for my x670e-f there’s 1303 which isn’t beta and just states “
ROG STRIX X670E-F GAMING WIFI BIOS 1303

Version 1303
9.18 MB 2023/04/27
SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000X3D series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard.

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SX670EF.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.”

Sticking with that for now, which seems sensible
Is that the one GamersNexus said didn't actually limit the SoC voltage to 1.3v in their testing?

Soldato
Sure did! It's not a good look for Asus. It looks like they don't know what they're doing, both the bios engineering and in the customer support. GM is the most respected channel right now for consumer gaming hardware. There's weight behind this. Mind you I don't think any of the other vendors, or even AMD should be let off the hook. x670e is far to expensive a platform for this kind of buffoonery.
but gamers nexus is in america, cant he get sued for that video ? what do they call it over there, slander?

Soldato
I'm still in the process of putting together my new 7800X3D + ASUS B650E-I build. I did turn it on briefly to check it powered but then turned it off within a minute.

A bit out of the loop with everything going on regarding this issue, but checking the BIOS release page I can see this:

Screenshot-20230512-094800-2.png

1602 and 1414 are beta releases which according to the disclaimer do void warranty. However the 1413 release isn't a beta version and it does limit SoC voltage to 1.3v.

I'm not sure what to do. Update to 1413 and see how it holds up? I'm not an overclocker so I was going to run everything default. Although I would obviously like to use DDR5 6000MHz CL30 EXPO at 6000MHz.

I went with ASUS because of PCIE5 and the overall black theme. Not exactly blessed with a plethora of options at ITX. It's either the MSI B650 Edge which is PCIE4 and silver or the ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi which is more expensive than the ASUS (to be fair it does have PCIE5).

Thoughts?

Associate
I did, but understand if a beta bios would void your product warranty, ocuk would say so.
and they havent.

I very much doubt OCUK have heard from Asus on this issue. Asus sell $30 billion worth of merchandise each year and is currently sticking its head in the sand.

I picked an AM5 mobo at random on their website and the most upto date bios are the beta ones.

Quoted - "Please note that this is a beta BIOS version of the motherboard which is still undergoing final testing before its official release. The UEFI, its firmware and all content found on it are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. ASUS does not give any warranties, whether express or limited, as to the suitability, compatibility, or usability of the UEFI, its firmware or any of its content. Except as provided in the Product warranty and to the maximum extent permitted by law, ASUS is not responsible for direct, special, incidental or consequential damages resulting from using this beta BIOS."

Very interesting info with that bios - Quote - "3. SoC voltage for Ryzen 7000 series limited to a maximum of 1.30V to protect the CPU and motherboard."

AMD are saying the maximum SoC voltage is 1.25V and none of the other big 3 mobo manufacturers exceed this limit but Asus in their infinite wisdom just do not care about rules or physics or exploding cpus. It appears that they have not learnt and will continue to pump voltage through everything.

Now your 1 year return to seller warranty may be unaffected but after that initial year you have to deal with Asus and do you think they will honour their warranty? Or will they leave you spinning in the wind and your only recourse is to issue a small claim to get your money back. No one wants the hassle of issuing a claim and having to goto court , we want responsible companies that honour warranties in a timely fashion

Soldato
but gamers nexus is in america, cant he get sued for that video ? what do they call it over there, slander?

"The First Amendment protects the right of news organizations (and individuals) to voice opinions, criticize others, and comment on matters of public interest. Even offensive statements are protected as long as they are “pure opinions” – statements that cannot be proven true or false. This protection is otherwise referred to as the opinion defense and fair comment privilege.

For the sake of example, say you make the comment, “I think the mayor is a jerk.” Such a statement expresses a pure opinion that could neither be proven nor disproven and is thus protected speech under the 1st amendment"

So yeah it's not easy to sue a news organisation or media outlet due to the US laws, it has to be a very clear case of defamation where the claimant can prove the defendant is telling a lie, which is hard to do.

Additionally there is no incentive for Asus or other tech companies to sue a news organisation because YouTubers and other news organisations group together, many are friends and if Asus starts suing GN can you guess what will happen? That's right, every big YouTube channel will blacklist Asus and stop reviewing their products and that publicity will be way worse for Asus

Last edited:
Associate
I'm still in the process of putting together my new 7800X3D + ASUS B650E-I build. I did turn it on briefly to check it powered but then turned it off within a minute.

A bit out of the loop with everything going on regarding this issue, but checking the BIOS release page I can see this:

Screenshot-20230512-094800-2.png

1602 and 1414 are beta releases which according to the disclaimer do void warranty. However the 1413 release isn't a beta version and it does limit SoC voltage to 1.3v.

I'm not sure what to do. Update to 1413 and see how it holds up? I'm not an overclocker so I was going to run everything default. Although I would obviously like to use DDR5 6000MHz CL30 EXPO at 6000MHz.

I went with ASUS because of PCIE5 and the overall black theme. Not exactly blessed with a plethora of options at ITX. It's either the MSI B650 Edge which is PCIE4 and silver or the ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi which is more expensive than the ASUS (to be fair it does have PCIE5).

Thoughts?

I updated to 1413 and set my SOC voltage myself and expo1 enabled. I am not running an X3D chip but still. 1.24v i set it for and no issues, tad different board than you but same sort of family.

Last edited:
Soldato
I updated to 1413 and set my SOC voltage myself and expo1 enabled. I am not running an X3D chip but still. 1.24v i set it for and no issues, tad different board than you but same sort of family.
This seems like a good start. No voiding warranty through beta releases at least.

How easy is it to change SoC voltage?

Associate
Is that the one GamersNexus said didn't actually limit the SoC voltage to 1.3v in their testing?
I’ve checked myself and it does limit SoC voltage.
HWiNFO is good enough for me. I’m not going to start using a DMM every time there’s a BIOS release.
If a formally validated released (non beta) BIOS was causing voltage measurements to be totally wrong I can’t imagine it would still be there to download

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like a reasonable price on the AMD 7800X3D, £428.99 at OcUK, practically cheaper than anywhere else in the UK. :cool: I wish I could say it more often.

Last edited:
Caporegime

So Jays2Cents have ended their partnership/sponsorship with Asus with this situation being the final straw it seems.

He even says "when you can say Asrock is more stable and reliable than Asus, its self explanatory"
I have been running my 5800X for two and a half years with an overclock, curve optimised and cheap as chips 3200MT/s ram overclocked to 3800MT/s

On a relatively cheap B550 Gigabyte board. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...2-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-59q-gi.html

Its never put a foot wrong, not even the slightest little hitch, nothing at all, its been rock solid and perfect.

I do wonder how many of these apparently problem Ryzen builds, like Jay here, are running Asus boards.

Gigabyte or MSI, Maybe ASRock..... these days IMO Asus boards are just crap.

GsO5X1G.png

Last edited:
Associate
I have been running my 5800X for two and a half years with an overclock, curve optimised and cheap as chips 3200MT/s ram overclocked to 3800MT/s

On a relatively cheap B550 Gigabyte board. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...2-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-59q-gi.html

Its never put a foot wrong, not even the slightest little hitch, nothing at all, its been rock solid and perfect.

I do wonder how many of these apparently problem Ryzen builds, like Jay here, are running Asus boards.

Gigabyte or MSI, Maybe ASRock..... these days IMO Asus boards are just crap.

GsO5X1G.png
msi boards for the first gen for b550 was crap from them.
second gen they fixed things and I bought the b550 a-pro, great board.
asus b650 tuf gaming, works great to for 7 months.
this type of generic statements you make are never really true and typically just scares people.

Back
Top Bottom