• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
I mean to be fair I don't think many people here were saying that it was that common to have a cpu burned. No one has reported it so far on this forum, and even among reddit/other forums I've seen about 5 or 6 reports total which is likely only marginely higher than normal failure amounts for a product. As I've personally mentioned in the past, the highest likelyhood of the failure is probably just you lost the silicon lottery and your chip was a bit more susceptible to voltage.

Most of the ire at Asus is simply because of how they handled the situation. They rejected warranty claims, blamed customers/AMD and then still hid behind warranty void disclaimers over the so called fixes until they got called out. I don't think this would have blown up if they'd have just said "In rare situations the CPU can receive more voltage than is recommended, due to this we've released a bios update to cap it. Sorry for anyone affected, please contact support for warranty to get a repair/replacement" I don't see it blowing up.
Only was taking traction due to GN did their videos.
while asus could have handled the situation better one has to recall laws and such are not the same everywhere.
I am perfectly happy with my asus board I had for 7 months

Associate
Only was taking traction due to GN did their videos.
while asus could have handled the situation better one has to recall laws and such are not the same everywhere.
I am perfectly happy with my asus board I had for 7 months
No?

It took traction before. The reddit thread of the guy GN bought the CPU/motherboard from was reported by a lot of different outlets before GN made any video. Infact that's what this thread was created based on!

I'm happy that you're happy with your Asus board, but that doesn't stop people from being very unhappy with how they dealt with the issue.

Last edited:
Associate
w7tWpjL.png

:eek:

Your screenshot shows thermal limit 167.8% and other crazy readings. :confused:
Yeah. I saw that. I'm not sure if that was a false reading. I rebooted and ran it again. Let me update it.

str

str

Soldato
More than likely a polling error, it happens. Try not to run multiple polling tools at the same time.

EDIT: Ah yeah you're probably right. HWInfo would have interpreted an invalid response from the SMU when ZenTimings was running at the same time.

Last edited:
Associate
No?

It took traction before. The reddit thread of the guy GN bought the CPU/motherboard from was reported by a lot of different outlets before GN made any video. Infact that's what this thread was created based on!

I'm happy that you're happy with your Asus board, but that doesn't stop people from being very unhappy with how they dealt with the issue.
other vendors had same issue

Soldato
NUQU0g2.png

hj0hEL5.png

Cant ask for much more.
Is the 7800X3D really that bad in Cinebench? I guess it's the low clockspeed?

They were silent, much worse.
In this instance I'm not sure that's true. Saying nothing rather than saying your warranty is void with BETA BIOSes and using EXPO voids your warranty and you should only be using default values and then having to turn around and change your mind to save face seems worse than if they hadn't done that in the first place.

Associate
They were silent, much worse.
They weren't though... MSI released two statements about the situation recommending people update to their latest beta bios.

And I fundamentally don't agree that being silent is worse than you going around refusing warranties, trying to bribe customers to not send their board to GN, putting big popouts on their bios saying stuff isn't covered by warranty etc.

Back
Top Bottom