• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

cho

cho

Permabanned
He ( HWBusters link ) said that his physical readings matched HWINFO, so the workaround IS to set it manually in this case.

Doesn't excuse Gigabyte one bit for not getting it correct, especially when all mobo vendors are in the spotlight atm.
have cpu got fried?

Last edited:
Associate
I used a Wraith Prism on a 7950X, and it did a good job. Got the same Cinebench score as my 360mm AIO, it was loud though.
Yeah the noise was my issue with it back when I used one. I used one on a 3700X and while the performance was honestly kind of impressive considering it was free, the noise combined with the fact the CPU would boost up for literally any small thing put me off it, lol. Shame they don't include it in much anymore really. Much better than the garbage intel used to offer with CPU's. Not had a intel CPU in a while so I dunno if they've improved but they used to be mediocre for anything mid tier or higher.

Associate
Official statement from ASUS.

ASUS BIOS updates and warranty coverage for ASUS AM5 platform motherboards with Ryzen™ 7000 series processors
2023/05/15

We want to address the concerns that have been raised by our users about whether recent BIOS updates will impact the warranty of ASUS AM5 motherboards. We would like to reassure our customers that both beta and fully validated BIOS updates for ASUS AM5 motherboards are covered by the original manufacturer’s warranty. We would also like to confirm the following points:

The ASUS AM5 motherboard warranty also covers all AMD EXPO, Intel XMP, and DOCP memory configurations.
All recent BIOS updates follow the latest AMD voltage guidelines for AMD Ryzen™ 7000 series processors.

Furthermore, we would like to reiterate our commitment to supporting the AMD AM5 platform and our customers. For any further inquiries about your ASUS AM5 motherboard, please contact our customer service for support. Thank you for choosing ASUS.

https://www.asus.com/us/news/ihctikmgahafyrib/

Soldato
OP
For all those ASUS haters, the others are starting to come to light now:

Man of Honour

That is nothing new it was known failures were also seen in Gigabyte and some others a month ago and that their BIOS update wasn't limiting below 1.3v. It was the way Asus was handling it as much as anything which was causing drama.

Soldato
OP
That is nothing new it was known failures were also seen in Gigabyte and some others a month ago and that their BIOS update wasn't limiting below 1.3v. It was the way Asus was handling it as much as anything which was causing drama.
Yeah, Asus have actually reversed everything they said about beta bioses voiding warranties etc
My previous post was based on people stating it's only Asus boards killing chips, the only one I've not heard of killing chips is MSI so far

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah, Asus have actually reversed everything they said about beta bioses voiding warranties etc
My previous post was based on people staring it's only Asus boards killing chips, the only one I've not heard of killing chips is MSI so far

As I've posted before I'd be leery with Asus how much is done for PR and what you'd experience in person - chances are you'd have an uphill battle with the returns side of the business not looped in to the policy, etc. based on past experiences.

Soldato
Saw this on r/asus on Reddit. Mostly Intel boards one user said, but it's the brand reputation taking a hit.
3paq5zv7ywza1.jpg

Vast majority will have no idea about this issue. We're the 0.1% on enthusiast forums, that care enough to read into the specifics.

If anything, the picture just shows how the retailer choses to stock way more ASUS products over the competition, as they are so popular.

Soldato

This will do nothing to silence the camp of people that were either priced out of ASUS products and are angry, or had no intention of buying in the first place.

The Nvidia 4090 12VHPWR thread is a good example of this, 99% of those whining/shouting did not own a 4090, and just wanted wanted some gossip to yell about :cry:

Associate
Vast majority will have no idea about this issue. We're the 0.1% on enthusiast forums, that care enough to read into the specifics.

If anything, the picture just shows how the retailer choses to stock way more ASUS products over the competition, as they are so popular.
Apparently they are all returns according to the post on Reddit. It's like that in almost every Microcenter shop.

Microcenter is a US shop that's like if OCUK opened a Currys sized shop.

Man of Honour
This will do nothing to silence the camp of people that were either priced out of ASUS products and are angry, or had no intention of buying in the first place.

The Nvidia 4090 12VHPWR thread is a good example of this, 99% of those whining/shouting did not own a 4090, and just wanted wanted some gossip to yell about :cry:

I'm not sure the point of this post, you seem unusually touchy as to criticism of Asus - most of which is well deserved.

Soldato
I’m happy to keep buying ASUS boards as I am a fan generally of their products. I still own every Crosshair board to this day from the first AM2 up to AM5.

It’s obvious though that ASUS have spread themselves too thin, they’ve had quite a few recent high profile quality problems. They need to start focusing on the basics again. But it’s not just ASUS at fault here, Gigabyte boards for example are also exhibiting similar problems with voltage. And they’ve had their own host of issues, the B650E master for example was discontinued after it was only launched last year because it crashes under load.

Seems like quality across the board has gone downwards since Covid IMO.

That said, I’m glad this has happened, hopefully force some of these companies to start taking quality and software a bit more seriously and hopefully stop focusing on all the features that no one cares about. I also think ASUS probably makes way too many products these days. Who knows what it’s like internally, maybe the BIOS teams have too much workload, poorly managed…wouldn’t surprise me. I know what some of these big organisations are like and it’s often a complete mess.

Soldato
I’m happy to keep buying ASUS boards as I am a fan generally of their products. I still own every Crosshair board to this day from the first AM2 up to AM5.

It’s obvious though that ASUS have spread themselves too thin, they’ve had quite a few recent high profile quality problems. They need to start focusing on the basics again. But it’s not just ASUS at fault here, Gigabyte boards for example are also exhibiting similar problems with voltage. And they’ve had their own host of issues, the B650E master for example was discontinued after it was only launched last year because it crashes under load.

That said, I’m glad this has happened, hopefully force some of these companies to start taking quality and software a bit more seriously and hopefully stop focusing on all the features that no one cares about. I also think ASUS probably makes way too many products these days. Who knows what it’s like internally, maybe the BIOS teams have too much workload, poorly managed…wouldn’t surprise me. I know what some of these big organisations are like and it’s often a complete mess.
Probably find it's two blokes in a portacabin writing all the BIOS updates :cry:

Associate
Talking of Bios updates.. 1616 is now out. For those who dare. :cry:

TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI BIOS 1616
Version 1616
9.14 MB
2023/05/16
1. Update AGESA version to Combo AM5 PI 1.0.0.7.a
2. Support 48/24GB high-density DDR5 memory module.
3. Memory QVL amended to account for AMD 1.3V SoC voltage limit.
4. EXPO/XMP prompt notice removed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably find it's two blokes in a portacabin writing all the BIOS updates :cry:

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me haha!

Almost certainly down to poor management, time pressure, company being run by marketing department these days and not the actual engineers. Happens to so many of these companies when their brand starts to become more important to them than their actual products. Slippery slope.

Man of Honour

If you look at other regions Gigabyte never had the reputation they did have here, not entirely sure why but they seemed to put more effort/better quality into the EU/UK products. Especially in the Middle East their products had a poor reputation for build quality, etc. and in the US their customer service was dire.

Quite annoying for me as for years I'd swear by GB but these days it is far more hit and miss and they don't seem to be pushing the boat out with innovation like they used to. I'm not actually sure who I'd go for, for motherboard, when building my next rig - my last build was an EVGA board but they have a few little issues of their own so not sure I'd do that again.

Interestingly I've dealt with and/or own a few devices like Samsung brand laptops which use Asus parts internally whether completely or partially and they are usually of a higher build quality than the Asus branded parts in their own stuff?!?!

Last edited:
Soldato

Only it is new, because someone took the time to measure the voltage off-board / probe points in the same way GN did and found that what was being set wasn't being read. Perhaps once someone also tries this on Asrock or MSI a few people will start to wonder what they should believe or not. This is the danger of taking one party at face value and the other with a grain of salt without assessing the situation or not having the correct knowledge to do so.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom