• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Man of Honour
Only it is new, because someone took the time to measure the voltage off-board in the same way GN did and found that what was being set wasn't being read. Perhaps once someone also tries this on Asrock or MSI a few people will start to wonder what they should believe or not. This is the danger of taking one party at face value and the other with a grain of salt without assessing the situation or not having the correct knowledge to do so.

The article is new but it has been known for a few days now that the GB updates had their issues and weren't working properly.

Man of Honour
That's the point, though. What is the foundation for not working correctly or properly in this instance?

I was replying to the manner of their post "the others are starting to come to light now" - which isn't new it has been known for awhile the problem existed beyond Asus and that attempts to sort it have had issues of their own - it isn't like up until this point everyone thought it was just Asus. The drama arose around Asus mostly because of the way they've dealt with it.

Associate
Man of Honour
as I said here previously, warranty is fine with asus boards.
I bought a 7800x3d and used on my asus board without issues yesterday.

asus statement

It a PR piece in response to negative PR, hopefully it holds up but if you've extensive experience with Asus you wouldn't be so confident (if you don't believe me check consumer reviews or the Reddit threads, etc. for the companies they use for RMAs and there are even threads here about it though I dunno how to find them now).

What I find funny is people thinking this is a decline in standards with Asus...

I didn't take a hammer to an Asus motherboard for LOLs... and spot what is wrong with the "8800GT" LOL:

E6VrHM7.png

BVFPTgv.png

Last edited:
Soldato
It a PR piece in response to negative PR, hopefully it holds up but if you've extensive experience with Asus you wouldn't be so confident (if you don't believe me check consumer reviews or the Reddit threads, etc. for the companies they use for RMAs and there are even threads here about it though I dunno how to find them now).

What I find funny is people thinking this is a decline in standards with Asus...

I didn't take a hammer to an Asus motherboard for LOLs... and spot what is wrong with the "8800GT" LOL:

E6VrHM7.png
That motherboard is very aptly named!

Associate
To be fair, it's now a big enough thing that ASUS management will probably want to be SEEN being extra caring and competent on this single issue. It's not right, it takes this sort of backlash for them to do what they should always be doing, but that's how big business works.

On a side note, did the boards mention in the original GN video that had their thermal limit wrongly set to 116c get fixed ? That got lost in the ASUS hate that would genuinely worry me as I have had AIOs die on me without me noticing right away.

Man of Honour
Not a striker extreme!! Nooooo!

Loved that board

Was a nicely specced bit of kit and a really nice board when it worked - unfortunately there was a batch where the chipset soldering was **** and just pop off with a few heat cycles or a bit of flex. After 3 replacement boards with the same failure and having to deal with Asus's **** customer services I cut my losses.

Sadly didn't learn my lesson though as I then went and bought the original ROG Swift monitor a few years later :(

Soldato
Now that ASUS have officially stated that updating to a beta BIOS will have zero impact on warranty claims, surely it's a no brainer to update from 1413 to 1602?

Soldato
I was replying to the manner of their post "the others are starting to come to light now" - which isn't new it has been known for awhile the problem existed beyond Asus and that attempts to sort it have had issues of their own - it isn't like up until this point everyone thought it was just Asus. The drama arose around Asus mostly because of the way they've dealt with it.

That is what I'm insinuating - we're assuming the voltage being read is accurate from that point on the power plane that HWB is testing from. Does the article even mention what LLC is set? How do we know what voltage is being received by the die?

Soldato
Built my 7800x3d and b650e f-gaming last week. Updated it to lastest non beta bios, expo on and no problems yet. SOC never goes last 1.25 and no crashes or weirdness...are people really that worried about it?

Associate
Built my 7800x3d and b650e f-gaming last week. Updated it to lastest non beta bios, expo on and no problems yet. SOC never goes last 1.25 and no crashes or weirdness...are people really that worried about it?
The issue is mainly the x670e boards which seem to send higher SoC voltage of 1.35v when expo is enabled on the older bios. Now capped to 1.3v on the latest beta bios. The x650e boards generally didn't seem to suffer as much and often capped out at 1.25v like yours.

Associate
Usually people have a knee jerk recation that goes overboard.
Its not like they cant fix this with a new bios, which they did...
Its not like a bad connector or hardware bug.
Even someone argues here with me about no warranty and he didnt understand that a product has a warranty from laws in your country.
(unless you live in a bad country that is that does not protect you from fraud I guess)

Associate
The issue is mainly the x670e boards which seem to send higher SoC voltage of 1.35v when expo is enabled on the older bios. Now capped to 1.3v on the latest beta bios. The x650e boards generally didn't seem to suffer as much and often capped out at 1.25v like yours.
Again there's been a lot of hype but not a lot of real testing info across the range, my 670 board never went over 1.25, according to HWinfo anyway, but then I only have a 7600 and slower 5600 RAM.

Lost in the OMG we can burn chips, was actually looking at all the variables and the whys. I guess it doesn't matter if it does get fixed.

Man of Honour
Even someone argues here with me about no warranty and he didnt understand that a product has a warranty from laws in your country.

Doesn't mean you'll easily get recourse. There seems to be inexperience or naivety in this thread to the realities sometimes of warranties and customer service :s

Associate
Again there's been a lot of hype but not a lot of real testing info across the range, my 670 board never went over 1.25, according to HWinfo anyway, but then I only have a 7600 and slower 5600 RAM.

Lost in the OMG we can burn chips, was actually looking at all the variables and the whys. I guess it doesn't matter if it does get fixed.
I mean to be fair I don't think many people here were saying that it was that common to have a cpu burned. No one has reported it so far on this forum, and even among reddit/other forums I've seen about 5 or 6 reports total which is likely only marginely higher than normal failure amounts for a product. As I've personally mentioned in the past, the highest likelyhood of the failure is probably just you lost the silicon lottery and your chip was a bit more susceptible to voltage.

Most of the ire at Asus is simply because of how they handled the situation. They rejected warranty claims, blamed customers/AMD and then still hid behind warranty void disclaimers over the so called fixes until they got called out. I don't think this would have blown up if they'd have just said "In rare situations the CPU can receive more voltage than is recommended, due to this we've released a bios update to cap it. Sorry for anyone affected, please contact support for warranty to get a repair/replacement" I don't see it blowing up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom