• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Caporegime
Have an 7850x3D with MSI MPG Edge WiFi using the latest bios which was put out on 14th of April

It appears my SOC is 1.35v I am aware based on the pasted Gamers Nexus I go that it's not the only cause, but should I change anything and how do I do so.

It should be running at 1.3v stock but 1.35v should be ok.

Asus set it to 1.45v and that is NOT ok.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Depends on the motherboard, mine was not set to 1.45v and I have an ASUS board.

As above, it is not just ASUS boards and is a problem across the main AMD spec.
They might not all be doing it. In that case the user set 6400Mhz RAM and the motherboard automatically set the SoC to 1.45v, which IS too high, that's LN2 level volts.

Everyone on any motherboard should be checking their SoC voltages now, don't wait for the outcome of this, absolute maximum should be no more than 1.37v, ideally 1.35v or less.

CPU core voltages are difficult to pin down, it depends on what the CPU is doing, in light loads no more than about 1.5v, in heavy loads no more than about 1.3v, but that's not exact.

Last edited:
Associate
They might not all be doing it. In that case the user set 6400Mhz RAM and the motherboard automatically set the SoC to 1.45v, which IS too high, that's LN2 level volts.

Everyone on any motherboard should be checking their SoC voltages, don't wait for the outcome of this, absolute maximum should be no more than 1.37v, ideally 1.35v or less.

CPU core voltages are difficult to pin down, it depends on what the CPU is doing, in light loads no more than about 1.5v, in heavy loads no more than about 1.3v, but that's not exact.
Kinda makes sense then it's not a board issue it's an expo issue base 4800mhz is 1.05v my 5600 sets it to 1.25v people here are reporting 6000mhz at 1.35v if 6400mhz is setting it to 1.45v It's just lazy coding and testing.

Caporegime
Kinda makes sense then it's not a board issue it's an expo issue base 4800mhz is 1.05v my 5600 sets it to 1.25v people here are reporting 6000mhz at 1.35v if 6400mhz is setting it to 1.45v It's just lazy coding and testing.
Right, exactly

Its up to the motherboard vendor to set the correct guided voltages set out by AMD, AMD will allow way beyond what's considered safe, this is nothing new nor is it unique to AMD, its for hardcore overclockers.

Usually board vendors have an LN2 mode, or something similar to unlock voltages that are not safe for normal day to day use, if people unlock that and set such voltages on an AIO that's on them if it goes bang, if motherboard vendors set these voltages automatically just because you set a high XMP that's bad coding on the motherboard vendors side.

If AMD are going get the blame for that they might just lock it all down in the AGESA code, no one wants that....

Associate
It should be running at 1.3v stock but 1.35v should be ok.

Asus set it to 1.45v and that is NOT ok.

Ok I swear it was up in the 1.3s but I must have been mistaken, had another check just to be sure and is going between 1.188 and 1.190 (assuming CPU NB/SoC voltage is the correct line)

I cannot change anything other than the DRAM frequency on this screen or I would try to reduce the DRAM Voltage to the supposed spec of 1.35v

Last edited:
Associate
I’ve been running Asrock boards since the first Ryzen was announced and since I never had any problems I went for X670E Pro RS this week to run with a 7800X3D. I’m glad I did as voltage wise everything was running with decent values, even after enabling the EXPO profile for my Corsair memory kit (VSOC was automatically set to 1.25V and not something silly).
The same day I received and installed the parts Asrock made available a new bios in relation with this whole problem, again I was able to flash without problems and everything has been running fine since.

All and all I think not everything is as black and white as some people make it to be and I will be very interested in watching Gamer Nexus analysis to get a better understanding at all the parameters/conditions at play to trigger a catastrophic failure.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ok I swear it was up in the 1.3s but I must have been mistaken, had another check just to be sure and is going between 1.188 and 1.190 (assuming CPU NB/SoC voltage is the correct line)

I cannot change anything other than the DRAM frequency on this screen or I would try to reduce the DRAM Voltage to the supposed spec of 1.35v

1.19v are nice low voltages :)

Soldato
OP

Everyone on any motherboard should be checking their SoC voltages now, don't wait for the outcome of this, absolute maximum should be no more than 1.37v, ideally 1.35v or less.

Where have you had this info from ???

Previously the max was 1.4v, AMD have revised this and the max is now 1.3v, any higher and it will be damage at your own risk, I have never seen any AM5 board auto the soc to 1.45v, they were autoing it to 1.35v which was too high, the max has been adjusted to 1.3v, it's clearly stated on the agesa 1.0.0.7 update notes, but you can probably run a bit lower than this, between 1.2 and 1.25v

Last edited:
Soldato
wccftech have linked the new beta Asus x670e Agesa 1.0.0.7 firmware here for various motherboard models.

I've flashed the 1601 beta firmware on my x670e Tuf (7800x3d). Just enabled EXPOII, left all other CPU voltages set to auto. Ran a few 3dmark benchmarks - all stable. HW Monitor reports CPU_VDDR_SOC and CPU_VDD_MISC were locked at 1.240 and 1.080 respectively. CPU package temp never broke 80c.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
wccftech have linked the new beta Asus x670e Agesa 1.0.0.7 firmware here for various motherboard models.

I've flashed the 1601 beta firmware on my x670e Tuf (7800x3d). Just enabled EXPOII, left all other CPU voltages set to auto. Ran a few 3dmark benchmarks - all stable. HW Monitor reports CPU_VDDR_SOC and CPU_VDD_MISC were locked at 1.240 and 1.080 respectively. CPU package temp never broke 80c.
What does it say these voltages are at in the bios ? ive seen HWInfo show some inconsistencies, also what did it default the CPU VDDIO / MC VOLATGE to ?

Last edited:
Soldato
What does it say these voltages are at in the bios ? ive seen HWInfo show some inconsistencies, also what did it default the CPU VDDIO / MC VOLATGE to ?
Bios says 1.264v/1.376v respectively on auto. I've lowered the SOC voltage to 1.2 manually - it runs cooler and slightly faster. Would have to run more rigourous stress tests for stability, but everything I run seems to be fine so far.

Back
Top Bottom