• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: AMD Screws Gamers: Sponsorships Likely Block DLSS

Are AMD out of order if they are found to be blocking DLSS on Starfield

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Associate
lol.......
Someone else released one that's free tbf.

I'm more interested in how FSR3 is going to perform if it's very very close to DLSS then there's literally no point in ever using DLSS as all users will be able to use FSR3.

I do find that ironic I remember that guy complaining that AMD was locking users out then he locked users out

Soldato
Oh look

PureDark might just decide no more DLSS mods now and to hell with the PC community. Many on here were fine with getting Dlss and paying a small fee for it and how look what the guy gets for his work. A nice big old kick between the legs. How dare someone do the work and not want a little something back.

Soldato
Someone else released one that's free tbf.

I'm more interested in how FSR3 is going to perform if it's very very close to DLSS then there's literally no point in ever using DLSS as all users will be able to use FSR3.

I do find that ironic I remember that guy complaining that AMD was locking users out then he locked users out

PureDarks's Dlss 2 mod was free as well. It was Dlss 3 that was behind a pay wall. The free one seems to be pretty buggy according to the article.

Last edited:
Soldato
PureDark might just decide no more DLSS mods now and to hell with the PC community. Many on here were fine with getting Dlss and paying a small fee for it and how look what the guy gets for his work. A nice big old kick between the legs. How dare someone do the work and not want a little something back.

You're being weird about it. He saw an opportunity to bypass the official code and make money and someone else saw an opportunity to bypass his bypass and be known as the one who got it out for free.

With the number of times it has been said that it's easy to get DLSS working in a game there was only ever going to be a small window to farm money off the desperate and now it's closed.

Caporegime
Is there anything like this for Nvidia sponsored titles? I'm curious how they compare.

Do devs have to pay Nvidia to include DLSS? I don't know if there are any factors beyond just exclusivity agreements/spite :D

Regardless of which side of the fence you fall on this topic, upscaling tech is the best thing to happen to AAA devs because it means they can shovel their **** out the door with even less quality control than usual, and that was already a staggeringly low bar.

Yup, same sheet with nvidia too:

pEBaPsv.png

Paints quite the picture eh :)

And nope, devs don't have to pay to use dlss, it is free and even integrated into the majority of game engines which makes it easier and quicker to add.

But yup sadly last point is very true :(

Soldato

Paid mods are trash, I'd be happy for him to just not release mods if he's gonna charge for it then, it's better for the industry, we don't want to start a trend. I know Bethesda absolutely loves paid mods, so don't give them ideas or we'll be paying for every single mod in Starfield. More FOV? $5 thanks, better HUD? $5 thanks. Different colors? $5 thanks. Better HDR? $5 thanks. You'll be spending $60 just on mods

As I said mods are trash so good riddance to trash if there are no more paid mods

Last edited:
Soldato
You're being weird about it. He saw an opportunity to bypass the official code and make money and someone else saw an opportunity to bypass his bypass and be known as the one who got it out for free.

With the number of times it has been said that it's easy to get DLSS working in a game there was only ever going to be a small window to farm money off the desperate and now it's closed.

Lets see how easy it is to get working as so far the free version is buggy. Free is good but if it's unusable then it's useless. I don't know how much work goes into it but if one person offers you a good working version for $5 amd another offers me a free game breaking version i am paying the $5.

Soldato
Lets see how easy it is to get working as so far the free version is buggy. Free is good but if it's unusable then it's useless. I don't know how much work goes into it but if one person offers you a good working version for $5 amd another offers me a free game breaking version i am paying the $5.
Maybe AMD should hire him to get their FSR3 out:p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Hmm. That doesn't sound right. If so you should be buying Nvidia and not being a loyal AMD fan :p

;)

Soldato
Yup, same sheet with nvidia too:

pEBaPsv.png

Paints quite the picture eh :)

And nope, devs don't have to pay to use dlss, it is free and even integrated into the majority of game engines which makes it easier and quicker to add.

But yup sadly last point is very true :(
I feel you are being a bit disingenuous here. Your conclusion seems to be going straight to foul play without taking into consideration that as much as FSR and DLSS are similar(they set out to achieve the same goal) they are offered up completely different. One is locked to one vendor and the other provides near the same result and is available to everyone. In the end what matters is the man hours a development team is able to spare and if you have 2 solutions with almost the same end result why would you spend your time on the one that alienates roughly a fourth of your possible install base? I'm not saying AMD has never done shady things, cause they have and been caught with their hands in the cookiejar but this is just a bit of overreaching atm IMHO. I could flip the argument fairly easy. Maybe the reason for those nvidia sponsored titles to have FSR is because the devs want the entire install base covered where as they didn't see the need most of the time on the AMD sponsored titles as everybody was already covered by FSR even if its slightly inferior in a proper implementation. There is no smoking gun yet. If you can get that then you might be on to something but until that happens its all just speculation.

Caporegime
I feel you are being a bit disingenuous here. Your conclusion seems to be going straight to foul play without taking into consideration that as much as FSR and DLSS are similar(they set out to achieve the same goal) they are offered up completely different. One is locked to one vendor and the other provides near the same result and is available to everyone. In the end what matters is the man hours a development team is able to spare and if you have 2 solutions with almost the same end result why would you spend your time on the one that alienates roughly a fourth of your possible install base? I'm not saying AMD has never done shady things, cause they have and been caught with their hands in the cookiejar but this is just a bit of overreaching atm IMHO. I could flip the argument fairly easy. Maybe the reason for those nvidia sponsored titles to have FSR is because the devs want the entire install base covered where as they didn't see the need most of the time on the AMD sponsored titles as everybody was already covered by FSR even if its slightly inferior in a proper implementation. There is no smoking gun yet. If you can get that then you might be on to something but until that happens its all just speculation.

Foul play? Noi smoking gun? It's been confirmed by John that 3 devs on seperate game(s) have stated they had to "remove" dlss due to sponsorship, I can't see him making that up, he's not MLID material..... And as said, the whole thing and that image speaks a thousand words, again, gamer nexus summed it up perfectly (and they ain't exactly nvidia bias given their very controversial content that got them black listed by nvidia and they called them out for this)

prZUmlQ.png

Why not implement all 3, let the customers choose what works best based on their setup?

FSR is nowhere near as good as dlss, people say this all the time and sorry but it just ain't so (not just based on my testing but hubs, tpu, df, oc3d, gamer nexus etc.), especially at resolutions lower than 4k and if using any of the lower presets (and this is becoming more necessary now and will only be more common going forward on older gpus), again, it just smacks of amds "we know what is best for you, it's our way or the highway"

In terms of speed and covering user base, fsr and dlss is extremely easy and quick to implement, more so if the game already has a TAA based AA in it (which 99% of games do now), even according to amds very own guide, if a game has dlss, it's even quicker for devs to implement fsr:

sZP0ito.png

This is not some huge piece of work that needs a proposal and to go through multiple meetings/stages to get planned for, a junior/intern could easily do it (especially since dlss doesn't require as much fine tuning per game to get good results like fsr does)

Soldato
Paid mods are trash, I'd be happy for him to just not release mods if he's gonna charge for it then, it's better for the industry, we don't want to start a trend. I know Bethesda absolutely loves paid mods, so don't give them ideas or we'll be paying for every single mod in Starfield. More FOV? $5 thanks, better HUD? $5 thanks. Different colors? $5 thanks. Better HDR? $5 thanks. You'll be spending $60 just on mods

As I said mods are trash so good riddance to trash if there are no more paid mods
Bethesda and better HDR? Try ANY HDR. Starfield doesn't even have it on PC. Trash.

Don
Let's stop the petty bickering before people get strikes. Lets keep the thread on topic please.

Also please refrain from reporting posts and then joining in the bickering.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Foul play? Noi smoking gun? It's been confirmed by John that 3 devs on seperate game(s) have stated they had to "remove" dlss due to sponsorship, I can't see him making that up, he's not MLID material..... And as said, the whole thing and that image speaks a thousand words, again, gamer nexus summed it up perfectly (and they ain't exactly nvidia bias given their very controversial content that got them black listed by nvidia and they called them out for this)

prZUmlQ.png

Why not implement all 3, let the customers choose what works best based on their setup?

FSR is nowhere near as good as dlss, people say this all the time and sorry but it just ain't so (not just based on my testing but hubs, tpu, df, oc3d, gamer nexus etc.), especially at resolutions lower than 4k and if using any of the lower presets (and this is becoming more necessary now and will only be more common going forward on older gpus), again, it just smacks of amds "we know what is best for you, it's our way or the highway"

In terms of speed and covering user base, fsr and dlss is extremely easy and quick to implement, more so if the game already has a TAA based AA in it (which 99% of games do now), even according to amds very own guide, if a game has dlss, it's even quicker for devs to implement fsr:

sZP0ito.png

This is not some huge piece of work that needs a proposal and to go through multiple meetings/stages to get planned for, a junior/intern could easily do it (especially since dlss doesn't require as much fine tuning per game to get good results like fsr does)
Again where is the smoking gun? All you have posted are speculations from different people/outlets not cold hard facts. If this John person you write about have put forward proper evidence then why not just link/share that instead? then this discussion would be over.

Nobody is saying that FSR is as good(as in 100% the same result) as DLSS in their latest iterations but that is not the point and you seem to somehow forget that. It doesn't matter what AMD wants here as they don't have the weight yet to throw around like Nvidia does. Have it ever occurred to you that maybe the developers thought that the deal AMD was offering(and not at gun point) was good enough and therefor they(the devs) where the deciding factor on what kind of upscaling ended up in their game? Bethesda and its parent company are not small potatoes, they have enough money to choose whatever they want if they think it would be a benefit to their end goals. You ask why not just implement all 3? simple answer could be time. It could also be due to an arrangement, we just dont know and thats the whole point, just a lot of speculation. I know from when I was working as a programmer that we didn't want to implement several systems doing the same thing unless it was the only way to reach the entire install base. If one solution could get the job done good enough then that is what we used. Time = Money even if it is only 2-3 days in your mind.

And before someone gets the cute idea that this is a defense of AMDs "wrongdoings" let me just shut down that down. It's about the concept of "innocent until proven guilty" Emphasis on the proven part. Speculations is not equal evidence. It only serves as something to further investigate. Even if AMD has somehow managed to force Bethesda to only use FSR, how does equates to some sort of unfairness? is the technology in question not available to everyone? So you want them to include a technology for your own benefit that many can't use? that is somehow fair? This isn't about what is right or wrong. This is purely about entitlement.

Soldato

prZUmlQ.png

sZP0ito.png

Sounds like the new version of 'trust me bro'

Back
Top Bottom