• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Clock speeds mean nothing in isolation, sandy. You are aware that Zen 2 has a significant IPC bump over previous iterations yeah?

but what is it you actually want? One minute you're saying it's cores, then you're saying it's I/O infrastructure and you don't need cores. Well core-for-core Threadripper 3 is vastly superior to whatever HEDT platform you have currently, that's just going to be a fact.

The fact that your existing system does everything you need - and therefore you don't actually require an upgrade - is a completely different issue.

You've obviously got the wrong person, I have never wanted more cores, I rock a 1900x an 8 core HEDT chip, its enough, only in some use cases would more work for me but in those cases my add in cards are more powerful than CPU.

I would like more performance, granted Zen 2 has more performance core for core, but it is only ~10% IPC bump, so clock speeds are important as that is where the rest of the performance comes from, but that performance need to be usable, not much point in a chip that can do 4.7Ghz on one core but drops to slow speeds when others are loaded, I fear that will be the case for TR3, with a 3900x you loose 4-500Mhz with thread usage, the first 300Mhz with only 4threads loaded, that chip only has 12 cores, once you double the core count and increase thermal load what will the TR3 chips drop by?

I'll be keeping an eye open for the reviews but it doesn't look like TR3 l be the chip for me. The 3950 probably is, in fact the 3900x would be just fine but its on a limited platform, I'd loose half my disks, perhaps less of an issue when 4Tb drives drop.

The 1900X is 3.8-4.0 GHz depending on number of cores loaded. The R7 3700X would always be above 4.0 GHz even with the box cooler I bet, plus it has the IPC bump (mine stays around 4.15-4.175 when all cores are stressed with a Noctua air cooler). The 3960X's base clock is 3.8 GHz, meaning it'd perform better than the 1900X in all circumstances, even low core loads. It costs a lot more though: the 1900X at £180 currently is pretty awesome as a base HEDT chip. If you want HEDT but don't care about cores then there are no real options in the 3rd generation (for now).

You're both right and talking past each other. AMD is hugely competitive in the enthusiast desktop and HEDT sectors. But these are small sectors; all those millions of office PCs and workstations and servers are still going out with Intel chips, and that's where the money is. AMD's Epyc CPUs are only now becoming competitive in the datacentre space (it took the previous generation to gain trust). Ryzen, Threadripper, and Epyc have given AMD a beachhead and are real threats and Intel needs to act.

Yup, for the OEMs intel has a staggering i9-9980HK 45W mobile chip running at 2.4GHz/5.0GHz and with iGPU UHD Graphics 630 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9980hk.html

What can AMD offer for those millions of office PCs?

Nothing!

The 1900X is 3.8-4.0 GHz depending on number of cores loaded. The R7 3700X would always be above 4.0 GHz even with the box cooler I bet, plus it has the IPC bump (mine stays around 4.15-4.175 when all cores are stressed with a Noctua air cooler). The 3960X's base clock is 3.8 GHz, meaning it'd perform better than the 1900X in all circumstances, even low core loads. It costs a lot more though: the 1900X at £180 currently is pretty awesome as a base HEDT chip. If you want HEDT but don't care about cores then there are no real options in the 3rd generation (for now).

Zen2 does look attractive, I would have jumped on one if it was a drop into X399 but a platform upgrade and no smaller option it’s a touch sell.

What can AMD offer for those millions of office PCs?
The entirety of the Ryzen 2000 APU line, the entirely of the Ryzen 3000 APU line, the OEM-only 3500, the entirety of the Ryzen 4000 APU line...

Now, whether OEMs want to switch from Intel is an entirely different (and more relevant) argument.

Who the hell wants 5GHz in an office PC? Stop reaching, it's pathetic.

Try placing an order for 50,000 desktops with that (mobile) chip and see your OEM rep melt with laughter.

I don't know intel's readiness to fulfil the orders, but they have dozens other chips which are still better than the best that can be offered by AMD - a sad and slow quad-core APU.

I don't know intel's readiness to fulfil the orders, but they have dozens other chips which are still better than the best that can be offered by AMD - a sad and slow quad-core APU.

you ncomplain about the 3900x etc but you blindly recomnd one of intels top laptop chips for a general office pc:(

and who again had his forum sig and main machine a sad slow 2500u? why do you have one again ?

you ncomplain about the 3900x etc but you blindly recomnd one of intels top laptop chips for a general office pc:(

intel has several 8-core, 6-core and 4-core mobile chips all of them are better than AMD's top of the line 4-core APU.

I have never complained about that 3900X but about the overall poor lineup of AMD, and lack of action to address intel's superiority.

For the past 15yrs every company I have worked for used laptops, these use intel chips, these chips run high clocks for very little time and spend most of the time doing sub 2ghz. adding more cores in these chassis just mean the will run slow or loud.

It's a rare company that would use a 9980hk, that's more likely a gaming laptop chip

intel has several 8-core, 6-core and 4-core mobile chips all of them are better than AMD's top of the line 4-core APU.

I have never complained about that 3900X but about the overall poor lineup of AMD, and lack of action to address intel's superiority.

You are correct Intel have a much stronger laptop lineup then amd :) I’m not disputing that! But how much is the laptop 6 and 8 core lineup?

I ask for 2 reasons 1 I only own a MacBook Pro as my mobility device and let’s be honest my 2k + MacBook Pro 15 inch isn’t exactly good value is it :)2 isn’t a i3 or ryzen 3 going to be used for the top avarage office pc but I would imagine most use such outdated hardware that this argument is void!

lastly you have a amd 2500u cpu so either it’s amazing and you couldn’t be without it or amd chips in laptop are so much cheaper then there good 6-8 cores that it wasn’t even a contest what to buy.

You are correct Intel have a much stronger laptop lineup then amd :) I’m not disputing that! But how much is the laptop 6 and 8 core lineup?

I ask for 2 reasons 1 I only own a MacBook Pro as my mobility device and let’s be honest my 2k + MacBook Pro 15 inch isn’t exactly good value is it :)2 isn’t a i3 or ryzen 3 going to be used for the top avarage office pc but I would imagine most use such outdated hardware that this argument is void!

lastly you have a amd 2500u cpu so either it’s amazing and you couldn’t be without it or amd chips in laptop are so much cheaper then there good 6-8 cores that it wasn’t even a contest what to buy.

I bought my notebook because of the Radeon RX 560X 4GB GDDR5, not so much because of the Ryzen 5 2500U with Vega 8.
You are right, it was the cheapest with this level of performance.

And the retarded comments keep on coming. "Lack of action"? AMD's meteoric rise as of late is lacking action?

You are aware that it's not possible to just dump a billion CPUs out of your ass with the click of a finger, yeah? You are aware that CPU design takes years, right? And in the few years since Ryzen's launch you are conscious of the fact AMD have an architecture that humiliates Intel? Are aware that market segments need to be prioritised for maximum revenue and ROI, especially when your company is a fraction in size of your competitors?

No, clearly you know none of this, or are wilfully ignorant of it to suit your own twisted beliefs. Server makes the money. Desktop drives consumer mindshare. AMD CANNOT make money without server, so that always gets 1st priority. Laptops WILL NOT SELL if consumer mindshare is not receptive of AMD, so desktop gets 2nd priority. Now that AMD have both, the 3rd phase is mobile.

It is not difficult to understand, perhaps if you redirected some of your energies to understanding these things, rather than spamming forums with your endless waffle, you'd become better educated and open-minded, and be able to properly discuss these matters.

And the retarded comments keep on coming. "Lack of action"? AMD's meteoric rise as of late is lacking action?

You are aware that it's not possible to just dump a billion CPUs out of your ass with the click of a finger, yeah? You are aware that CPU design takes years, right? And in the few years since Ryzen's launch you are conscious of the fact AMD have an architecture that humiliates Intel? Are aware that market segments need to be prioritised for maximum revenue and ROI, especially when your company is a fraction in size of your competitors?

No, clearly you know none of this, or are wilfully ignorant of it to suit your own twisted beliefs. Server makes the money. Desktop drives consumer mindshare. AMD CANNOT make money without server, so that always gets 1st priority. Laptops WILL NOT SELL if consumer mindshare is not receptive of AMD, so desktop gets 2nd priority. Now that AMD have both, the 3rd phase is mobile.

It is not difficult to understand, perhaps if you redirected some of your energies to understanding these things, rather than spamming forums with your endless waffle, you'd become better educated and open-minded, and be able to properly discuss these matters.

He really baffles me, both in the gpu forum and in here he seems to think these companies can magically pull out a gpu\cpu out of their asses to suit his specific needs. Most of his posts go along the lines of "why don't amd\nvidia\intel do this or that", like the companies got where they are by not thinking about alternatives that some random person on a forum concocts. He seems to think gpu\cpu development is "think of the idea, have it in your hand five minutes later".

Back
Top Bottom