• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Have a 3960X coming today and I was wondering if there were any pitfalls to watch out for. Do you all install the drivers that come with the mobo or is it better to use AMD's own drivers?

Associate
Have a 3960X coming today and I was wondering if there were any pitfalls to watch out for. Do you all install the drivers that come with the mobo or is it better to use AMD's own drivers?

I installed the latest drivers from the motherboard makers site and then installed these AMD TRX40 chipset drivers (with my motherboard Asus never had those chipset drivers on their site anyway). That's all i did and my 3960X works fine, not had any issues and i've had it around 50 days now. If i remember correctly, those TRX40 drivers also include a Ryzen power plan, so after install go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options, and select "AMD Ryzen Balanced".

Associate
I installed the latest drivers from the motherboard makers site and then installed these AMD TRX40 chipset drivers (with my motherboard Asus never had those chipset drivers on their site anyway). That's all i did and my 3960X works fine, not had any issues and i've had it around 50 days now. If i remember correctly, those TRX40 drivers also include a Ryzen power plan, so after install go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options, and select "AMD Ryzen Balanced".

Thanks much appreciated.

Associate
Hello everyone, I have updated a month ago to TR 3970x from an old intel I7 2600k. I use the rig for GPU rendering and physics sims The results are incredible so far.

1. Until now I have used a temporary 64Gb ram kit but I would like to update to 256GB ASAP. Has anyone managed to run 256GB @ 3600Mhz? I plan to buy 4 kits of Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit. My motherboard is the Gigabyte Designare.

2. I am having a hard time getting accurate CPU temperature readings in Windows. What software do you guys use?

Thanks in advance,
Stefan

Associate
So I've been looking into either getting a 3960 / 3970x. Do you have to go water cooling to keep these things at bay? I currently have a WC setup but i was going to simplify things and go back to AIO or Air cooling.

Back
Top Bottom