• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Man of Honour
So I've been looking into either getting a 3960 / 3970x. Do you have to go water cooling to keep these things at bay? I currently have a WC setup but i was going to simplify things and go back to AIO or Air cooling.
You'd need a properly decent air cooler and case to keep temps reasonable if you're going to use the CPU. I've got a full watercooling setup and my 3960X will go into the 80's when pushed hard. I'm currently sat between 20-30% utilisation and it's low 40's in a cool room in the house.

Man of Honour
1. Until now I have used a temporary 64Gb ram kit but I would like to update to 256GB ASAP. Has anyone managed to run 256GB @ 3600Mhz? I plan to buy 4 kits of Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 Dual Channel Memory Kit. My motherboard is the Gigabyte Designare.
I think you will struggle to get 3600MHz when fully populated, mine's running at 3000 MHz.

Associate
So I've been looking into either getting a 3960 / 3970x. Do you have to go water cooling to keep these things at bay? I currently have a WC setup but i was going to simplify things and go back to AIO or Air cooling.
I started with 3960x and Noctua NH-U14S TR4 with additional fan, the temps in AIDA64 stress test were going over 95C.
A few weeks after I switched to 3970x with Enermax 360 LQII TR4 and in the same AIDA test (after 20 min), temps are hovering around 90C with 8 extra cores.

I wouldn't go with any typical Asetek AIO for this CPU. I've heard horror stories about Enermax AIO for TR4, but as of now, this is the best you can get without going or staying on custom LC.

Associate
4.2 ghz @ 1.275v. My problem is my cooling solution. The Castle 360EX AIO is real pretty but doesn't offer full coverage so my temps are too high especially when dealing with 4K video encodes. Wish Enermax didn't release faulty AIOs, shame there are no other AIO solutions on the market. Air cooling is something I have always favoured in the past, but wasn't sure it would be enough to cool these CPUs, but the Noctua-14s was probably better than the AIO I have right now.

I'm waiting for the IceGiant ProSiphon Elite, hopefully it will be a great option.

Associate
Since running my RAM at 3600 my CPU temps have gone up 10degC - I'm assuming because the AIO cooler has no fan so the RAM is transferring more heat to the socket. I'll have to arrange extra cooling for the RAM slots I think.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Since running my RAM at 3600 my CPU temps have gone up 10degC - I'm assuming because the AIO cooler has no fan so the RAM is transferring more heat to the socket. I'll have to arrange extra cooling for the RAM slots I think.

More likely because the IO die is working harder.

Associate
What are the sub timings you are on at 3600? And which kit are you using?

Soldato
For those of us (most?) with Asus RoG Strix TRX40-E Gaming, there was a new BIOS yesterday:

Version 0902
2020/03/27
6.99 MBytes
ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING
BIOS 0902
01. [E] Improve system performance.
02. [Q][E] Update CastlePeakPI1.0.0.3 Patch B

I'm just about to install, but 'Improve system performance' should only be a good thing? :D

Soldato
Warning to fellow Strix TRX40-E users who upgraded to BIOS 0902:

I've spent literally the last week banging my head against the wall in Linux. Kernel general protection faults, SMP faults, graphics faults... I've tried Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora... same thing. I've blamed the AMD OpenCL graphics driver, my clocks, all kinds. I've literally spent 10 hours a day on this trying to figure out why I can't run my PC for more than an hour without crashes.

Then I remembered the EFI update... I rolled it back last night and it's still running today without issue. I have 100% CPU usage (BOINC), 95% GPU usage (FaH) and it's rock solid. I'll be emailing ASUS but... well... LOL Asus right? I didn't see any issues under Windows, strangely, so if you're Windows only you'll probably be fine. But I'm posting this for anyone who uses Linux to save you the sleepless nights I've had - just roll back!

Soldato
Warning to fellow Strix TRX40-E users who upgraded to BIOS 0902:

I've spent literally the last week banging my head against the wall in Linux. Kernel general protection faults, SMP faults, graphics faults... I've tried Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora... same thing. I've blamed the AMD OpenCL graphics driver, my clocks, all kinds. I've literally spent 10 hours a day on this trying to figure out why I can't run my PC for more than an hour without crashes.

Then I remembered the EFI update... I rolled it back last night and it's still running today without issue. I have 100% CPU usage (BOINC), 95% GPU usage (FaH) and it's rock solid. I'll be emailing ASUS but... well... LOL Asus right? I didn't see any issues under Windows, strangely, so if you're Windows only you'll probably be fine. But I'm posting this for anyone who uses Linux to save you the sleepless nights I've had - just roll back!

I would have thought it would cause some issue in windows too if it's that bad/buggy in *nix

Soldato
I would have thought it would cause some issue in windows too if it's that bad/buggy in *nix

That was why I didn't suspect it earlier. I've used Linux on desktop for near 20 years (as my primary OS), and I've never had issues like this before this week. I've pulled my hair out; gone from Debian to Ubuntu 18.04.4 to Fedora and Arch and back again. I tried kernels from 4.5 to 5.6 testing, swapped out the AMD OpenCL drivers for ROCm... Nothing works.

As soon as I reverted to BIOS 0807 I've been able to fold all night without a hitch, no more instability. The settings I used are the same (DOCP/XMP). Perhaps Linux is pushing the system harder, or using parts of the CPU in ways Windows doesn't? We all know how legendary the Windows scheduler is. I dunno, but I do know rolling back has fixed it, so... *shrug*

Soldato
That was why I didn't suspect it earlier. I've used Linux on desktop for near 20 years (as my primary OS), and I've never had issues like this before this week. I've pulled my hair out; gone from Debian to Ubuntu 18.04.4 to Fedora and Arch and back again. I tried kernels from 4.5 to 5.6 testing, swapped out the AMD OpenCL drivers for ROCm... Nothing works.

As soon as I reverted to BIOS 0807 I've been able to fold all night without a hitch, no more instability. The settings I used are the same (DOCP/XMP). Perhaps Linux is pushing the system harder, or using parts of the CPU in ways Windows doesn't? We all know how legendary the Windows scheduler is. I dunno, but I do know rolling back has fixed it, so... *shrug*

May be Asus wanted us Linux users to know what it's like on windows :eek:
:D

Associate
i upgraded to new bios saved profile from previous BIOS is not booting did a run from default setting and its booting with everything on default anyone willing to share the bios setting, ROG STRIX TRX40-E - 0902... its all a mind field.
system was running 3200mhz ram and 4.2ghz now im at 2666mhz and cores as sleeping when not being used...

can overclock system and CPUID - runs and tests ok however userbenchmark crashes on gpu test :(

Back
Top Bottom