• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato

Must say is beautiful box.
4a6077e8-3c80-4b70-a573-ef3f22881cee.jpg

And yes going to point out that the almost bankrupt AMD, selling great products at low value (check their EPYC lineup), making some pretty (relative) expensive boxes and they use proper expensive solder on gold plated caps. (latter is the case even on the Ryzen 3).

While Intel is using the same cheap 2p boxes for all their products and "guano" for TIM. And I wouldn't be surprised if Intel was able to use real guano, more likely they could have used some convict slaves off to the islands west of Chile gathering the stuff the birds deposited for free, few thousands year ago.

Soldato
No it's not strange if you consider how rumours and rumour-copying works on the internet. I'm sure if we posted some credible sounding or looking rumour, it wouldn't take long to make it to wccftech to pick it up and then all the others might run with it. And chances are that nowhere in that chain would anyone check the facts.

True. Given how the CCX layout is they can only make 4-6-8-12-16-24-32. If they could make 2-3-5 core CPU they could have done it for the mainstream also.
All the other CPUs are WCCFTECH rumour mill, which was distributed as always by others, without checking facts. AMD never announced anything until last week with the 12/16 core CPUs.
Possibly some non X versions, if they have failed chips, but if the market intake is big (which will be), I don't see them making the choice to lose money.

1920X and 1950X are very well priced, better than the whole X99 and X299 Intel lineup. And here we see the roles reversing. Is Intel now that has no products to compete with AMD, and AMD doesn't see the reason to sell more cheaply and lose money.

Intel 12-18 core CPUs not only are overprised, they cannot deliver the same performance as the 1950X, because they are way lower clocked and naturally so. Or else who could run (assuming electrically possible) a ~700W CPU, and how to cool effectively that thing? It will require minimum of 2 EK XE 480s to do the job and copper tubes because plastic ones will melt. Hell motherboards will melt. (assuming can be supplied with 700W).

On the Vega discussion some laughing at the 400W the Vega FE needs (when overclocked with modded BIOS), but shouldn't they laugh at the power consumption the X299 platform has?
Hell they should be laughing at the 7700K power consumption compared to the 1800X, let alone the 1700.

Soldato
And yes going to point out that the almost bankrupt AMD, selling great products at low value (check their EPYC lineup), making some pretty (relative) expensive boxes and they use proper expensive solder on gold plated caps. (latter is the case even on the Ryzen 3).

While Intel is using the same cheap 2p boxes for all their products and "guano" for TIM. And I wouldn't be surprised if Intel was able to use real guano, more likely they could have used some convict slaves off to the islands west of Chile gathering the stuff the birds deposited for free, few thousands year ago.

Oh my god !!!!!!!!! Panos, your fanboy status must be well and truly solidified now. This sort of rubbish seems to be the norm on forums now days. It's not life and death.........................it's just a cpu. Yes AMD and Intel have had good and bad times, yes both of them have done us all up like kippers over the years and yes both of them have given us good stuff and bad stuff...........................a fanboy is just that though (a fanboy). Get real and get a life.

Soldato
Oh my god !!!!!!!!! Panos, your fanboy status must be well and truly solidified now. This sort of rubbish seems to be the norm on forums now days. It's not life and death.........................it's just a cpu. Yes AMD and Intel have had good and bad times, yes both of them have done us all up like kippers over the years and yes both of them have given us good stuff and bad stuff...........................a fanboy is just that though (a fanboy). Get real and get a life.

I am not a fanboy mate :) Just stating the obvious.
My current cpu is 6800K, my previous 6700K, 4930K, 4820K all way back to 2012

Intel pricing cannot be justified. Full stop.

Last edited:
Soldato

Haha, take a bow squire. That made me genuinely LOL :D

Soldato

100% agree. I hope AMD spank Intel hard. I think AMD have go their act together and will kick on and wallop Intel in the next 12 months. For too long Intel have taken the P with customers. My next upgrade will be AMD.

Associate

Not sure about the bird droppings, but I'm with you on the rest :D

AMD gets my money's next round.

Soldato
It was originally stated today but pushed to 2pm on 10th August for release. It appears the idea of it coming with AIO has been dropped by some news outlets though.

To me that would be a shame but seeing the packaging it certainly wouldn't fit in the box. However still for the price that seems fair enough.

Although the idea of 1TB of RAM sounds fun but expensive haha. I mean you would need like £10k to get that much RAM and I think the modules have been delayed since 2015 but the premise is cool. Could purchase 512GB RAM though for it as 64GB modules are available. That runs in around the £5k mark.

Back
Top Bottom