• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Back in the day, I was still using Amiga's ;)
We had neither colourful mobo nor cooling :p

Ha you peasant. (sarcasm) I had used an AT box, to power a CD and HDD drive externally on my Amiga
And due to warm greek summers had to use fans everywhere to cool it down :(

Good days playing Frontier Elite, EOB, Karnov etc

Last edited:
Associate
Ha you peasant. (sarcasm) I had used an AT box, to power a CD and HDD drive externally on my Amiga
And due to warm greek summers had to use fans everywhere to cool it down :(

Good days playing Frontier Elite, EOB, Karnov etc

AT box?

No idea if you saw them way back then, but I had an Eyetech EZ tower (think that was its name) where you had to cut the A1200 to fit into it :D
Then a catweasel (think that's its name) 4*IDE thingie. 2*HDDs, 1*zip, 1*CDRW.
Had upgraded to a Blizzard 1230-IV but then got myself a Blizzard PPC603e-68040 & a BlizzardPPC gfx card.
Oh & a remote control IR unit I made :D

Aaaah, (peasant) memories haha.
Advantage of blighty, no hot Summers back then :D

I miss my Miggy :(

Soldato
I for one like it, at least you can turn the LED's off if you don't like it, but too much plastic can be over the top, like the old Sabretooth boards.

Yes, you can (and I have) turn them off. Still paid for it though. Would prefer to pay less for the same board without the fancy junk on it.

It's getting out of hand now so I don't have high hopes. You can get RGB LED soundcards and PSUs now ffs lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
AT box?

No idea if you saw them way back then, but I had an Eyetech EZ tower (think that was its name) where you had to cut the A1200 to fit into it :D
Then a catweasel (think that's its name) 4*IDE thingie. 2*HDDs, 1*zip, 1*CDRW.
Had upgraded to a Blizzard 1230-IV but then got myself a Blizzard PPC603e-68040 & a BlizzardPPC gfx card.
Oh & a remote control IR unit I made :D

Aaaah, (peasant) memories haha.
Advantage of blighty, no hot Summers back then :D

I miss my Miggy :(

I was referring to a simple midi case with AT PSU. Old old ones which had a switch and didn't need to be connected to motherboard for powering up.

Soldato
weren't these supposed to have launched today?

Apparently there was an event and some boards were launched. Gigabyte has on their website a pre-order for midnight Thursday
http://event.gigabyte.us/x399promo/

The gigabyte K7 is gorgeous board, the MSI has different caps to use on the heatsinks while the Asrock has U2 connector and we know Asus Zenith comes with that M2 dram socket!!!!!

Also there is this video.

1700X vs 1950X vs Epyc 7601

Seriously, that 7601 @ 4Ghz could troll everything over the next few years..... How fast it rendered the damn C15 with 2400mhz ram!!!!! 5546 score. If it had 3200Mhz ram it could have passed 6000 score easily.

Also on the video shows 1950X XFR 4.1 with 3200C15 ram. I believe Asrock advertises 3600+ ram with their X399 also, which means is achievable. (since is AGESA 1006 compatible can use 4000Mhz ram and board manufacturers haven't cheapen out like on the B350/X370)

Last edited:
Associate
Apparently there was an event and some boards were launched. Gigabyte has on their website a pre-order for midnight Thursday

The gigabyte K7 is gorgeous board, the MSI has different caps to use on the heatsinks while the Asrock has U2 connector and we know Asus Zenith comes with that M2 dram socket!!!!!

Seriously, that 7601 @ 4Ghz could troll everything over the next few years..... How fast it rendered the damn C15 with 2400mhz ram!!!!! 5546 score. If it had 3200Mhz ram it could have passed 6000 score easily.

Also on the video shows 1950X XFR 4.1 with 3200C15 ram. I believe Asrock advertises 3600+ ram with their X399 also, which means is achievable. (since is AGESA 1006 compatible can use 4000Mhz ram and board manufacturers haven't cheapen out like on the B350/X370)

Looks lovely, roll on the details.

Associate
if any board supports 4000mhz RAM these will be insane. Regardless, take my money! I've been waiting for a proper upgrade since a few years after X58, nothing has seemed worthwhile until now :)

Soldato
if any board supports 4000mhz RAM these will be insane. Regardless, take my money! I've been waiting for a proper upgrade since a few years after X58, nothing has seemed worthwhile until now :)
Asrock advertises 3600Mhz+ haven't seen the rest. But AGESA 1006 did provided support for 4000Mhz RAM. (check the changelog)

Associate
Asrock advertises 3600Mhz+ haven't seen the rest. But AGESA 1006 did provided support for 4000Mhz RAM. (check the changelog)

I can't wait for the reviews. Considering the price of the platform, going from 3200mhz to 4000mhz isn't a huge leap.

(I have a soft spot for AMD. When I was 13 my family's first modern PC was an AMD K6 366mhz. Before that we had an Amstrad that was older than I am, and I had AMD CPUs until I got a Q6600.)

Soldato

Except there's writing which is saying that 5546 score is 64 cores 128 threads... so that's a double CPU board wrecking the benchmark there hence the final slide saying they are halving it for a result for one.

Soldato

I can't wait for the reviews. Considering the price of the platform, going from 3200mhz to 4000mhz isn't a huge leap.

(I have a soft spot for AMD. When I was 13 my family's first modern PC was an AMD K6 366mhz. Before that we had an Amstrad that was older than I am, and I had AMD CPUs until I got a Q6600.)

"Support" for 4000MHz, sure. But the IMC can't actually really do 4000MHz. One person got there with 1x4GB stick, with high voltage and silly timings.

3200MHz-3466MHz is the sweet spot.

Soldato
I was referring to a simple midi case with AT PSU. Old old ones which had a switch and didn't need to be connected to motherboard for powering up.

When I ran a PC Shop I almost killed myself with one of these before ATX was all the rage. They had straight 240v going to the front switch. So I had an issue with It turning on and off. I determined that the switch was faulty. So with the power cable still plugged in I prised the spade connectors off with a screwdriver and BANG.. A rather big jolt of electricity along with blowing out the trip on the RCD in the entire building.. Ah PCs back in the day could certainly kill you. :D

Back
Top Bottom