• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
So it's a £420 board with a bundled extra that the majority of people will have no use for? Why couldn't they have just sold us the board cheaper and made that an option lol XD
I would not use it as I would need a 10Gb router and extra 10Gb cards for other pc's but it explains some of the higher price.

Associate
Interesting quote from guru3d:

"For us regular tweakers I have some quality info, I learned at the AMD event that 4 GHz on ALL cores only needs 1.325~1.350 Volts on the processor. ALL Threadripper processors get fitted with the top 2% dies fitted onto the package. With an average Ryzen 7 you'd need 1.40~1.45 on 8 cores already. These Threadrippers are thus confirmed to have been binned for best ASIC quality, low leakage and thus proper low voltage resulting in some very good results."

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...ghz-on-16-cores-and-breaks-cb-r15-record.html

Soldato
Interesting quote from guru3d:

"For us regular tweakers I have some quality info, I learned at the AMD event that 4 GHz on ALL cores only needs 1.325~1.350 Volts on the processor. ALL Threadripper processors get fitted with the top 2% dies fitted onto the package. With an average Ryzen 7 you'd need 1.40~1.45 on 8 cores already. These Threadrippers are thus confirmed to have been binned for best ASIC quality, low leakage and thus proper low voltage resulting in some very good results."

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/am...ghz-on-16-cores-and-breaks-cb-r15-record.html

Less voltage required is good but it would appear to still hit a wall at 4GHz.

Soldato
Less voltage required is good but it would appear to still hit a wall at 4GHz.

Was always going to be the case because of the silicone they are using was targeted at 3.0Ghz to start with. 4.0Ghz is pushing that target significantly.

It is why we are expecting 7nm process to target 5.0Ghz meaning might have 5.5Ghz with overclock if the base target is 5.0Ghz.

Associate
Was always going to be the case because of the silicone they are using was targeted at 3.0Ghz to start with. 4.0Ghz is pushing that target significantly.

It is why we are expecting 7nm process to target 5.0Ghz meaning might have 5.5Ghz with overclock if the base target is 5.0Ghz.

Hopefully those CPU will be compatible with AM4 sockets I would be very disappointed if they didn't.

Associate

Wow 5ghz on 16 cores on an updated Zen core - now that would be something! I couldn't see Intel being able to match that even if they soldered their top end again!

Soldato
Hopefully those CPU will be compatible with AM4 sockets I would be very disappointed if they didn't.

That from everything that has been stated is that the sockets for Ryzen & Threadripper will remain the same for the next 2-3 cycles of these CPU architectures so 4-5 years on the same socket is expected so that we can drop in new CPU's.

Of course motherboards will get new features etc however that may be limited. Of course the main spanner to that is DDR5 which will hopefully arrive late 2019/early 2020 from all accounts at moment. That will require new motherboard accordingly anyways but there is no reason of course the CPU wont be able to support DDR4 & DDR5.

Soldato
Wow 5ghz on 16 cores on an updated Zen core - now that would be something! I couldn't see Intel being able to match that even if they soldered their top end again!

Well they are talking of going from 4 core to 6 core per chip too so you could be talking about 24 core / 48 thread at 5Ghz if they get the performance they want. But that is larger rumour mill with very limited sources etc at this time but that would be awesome to see 6 core as minimum core count in 2019/2020.

Now this is based on the fact there is info to suggest that Starship has some leaked paperwork suggesting 48 core / 96 thread CPU for servers. But yeah that makes sense and why I would expect 2020 with DDR5 and that to all hook up to some amazing CPU power.

It gives developers a good 3 years to really push more games/software and similar into better multi core structuring and really is the way things needed to go for a while and AMD certainly seem to be aggressive with this and to push it again would be a huge stride for Intel to try and retool for.

Associate
Lol! Just use the old, well i'm selling the old one and it will make me back x amount excuse.

Yeah was thinking along those lines. I should be able to get £1500 or thereabouts for:

1700 + C6H
32GB Trident Z 3000 C14
Noctua Cooler DH15
2 x Fury X (will be replacing with 2 Vega's)!

So it doesn't look that bad, although she wont see it that way :)

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom