• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Well they are talking of going from 4 core to 6 core per chip too so you could be talking about 24 core / 48 thread at 5Ghz if they get the performance they want. But that is larger rumour mill with very limited sources etc at this time but that would be awesome to see 6 core as minimum core count in 2019/2020.

Now this is based on the fact there is info to suggest that Starship has some leaked paperwork suggesting 48 core / 96 thread CPU for servers. But yeah that makes sense and why I would expect 2020 with DDR5 and that to all hook up to some amazing CPU power.

It gives developers a good 3 years to really push more games/software and similar into better multi core structuring and really is the way things needed to go for a while and AMD certainly seem to be aggressive with this and to push it again would be a huge stride for Intel to try and retool for.

There's a few caveats to that:

1) Can games be developed to make efficient use of multithreading? I'm no game dev, but I would have thought so: Each player or game object could be tracked by a different core. The issue I can see is that one master thread would be needed to tie everything together at some point.

2) The bane of every proper gamer's life: Consoles. If the next gen consoles are low core counts, don't count on developers making any special code when they make a port. Having said that, now we have an 8 core AMD CPU in the Xbox one... we might see more games better utilize cores because of it.

No, I'm guessing someone checked the wrong box when they were added. Should say pre-order, surely.

Soldato

1) Can games be developed to make efficient use of multithreading? I'm no game dev, but I would have thought so: Each player or game object could be tracked by a different core. The issue I can see is that one master thread would be needed to tie everything together at some point.

2) The bane of every proper gamer's life: Consoles. If the next gen consoles are low core counts, don't count on developers making any special code when they make a port. Having said that, now we have an 8 core AMD CPU in the Xbox one... we might see more games better utilize cores because of it.

No, I'm guessing someone checked the wrong box when they were added. Should say pre-order, surely.

Well ID Tech 6 can use up to 32 cores/threads at the moment according to them efficiently. Lumberyard is going vulkan and multicore route also.

Soldato

Let's make no mistake, 16 cores for a gaming system is chronically overkilling it. Even on a timescale of 5 years, potentially.

Caporegime
Soldato
Soldato
Just because an engine can support multiple threads, doesn't mean the devs aren't going to be rushed or utilise the engine efficiently.

If we see more developers using DX12 properly and using a multithreaded engine efficiently, then the more CPU threads the better.

I'm sceptical of those devs under big publishers though.

Caporegime
Ah yes very true. I wonder how this incorporates with Lumberyard as although they have their own teams etc because of the licence type I assume there is some cross talk though?

No, Amazon, their engine Lumberyard are a competitor to Crytek, They sold Cryengine 3 to them out of necessity, they needed money, desperately, both engine branches are now on different paths.

Crytek are now financially secure with a German Government bailout and investment from the middle east.

Soldato
No, Amazon, their engine Lumberyard are a competitor to Crytek, They sold Cryengine 3 to them out of necessity, they needed money, desperately, both engine branches are now on different paths.

Crytek are now financially secure with a German Government bailout and investment from the middle east.

Was checking as was aware their licence for the engine was proporietry but wasn't sure if they were able to pick up updates from Crytek as they got released to install into Lumberyard as that hasn't been noted. Saying that doesn't Cryengine offer full access to their source code for free thus anyone could pick out those details as well as Crytek update their engine?

Associate
Well they are talking of going from 4 core to 6 core per chip too so you could be talking about 24 core / 48 thread at 5Ghz if they get the performance they want. But that is larger rumour mill with very limited sources etc at this time but that would be awesome to see 6 core as minimum core count in 2019/2020.

Now this is based on the fact there is info to suggest that Starship has some leaked paperwork suggesting 48 core / 96 thread CPU for servers. But yeah that makes sense and why I would expect 2020 with DDR5 and that to all hook up to some amazing CPU power.

It gives developers a good 3 years to really push more games/software and similar into better multi core structuring and really is the way things needed to go for a while and AMD certainly seem to be aggressive with this and to push it again would be a huge stride for Intel to try and retool for.
Glad to hear that we have upgrade path to never processors, It wasn't the case for years now.

Caporegime
Was checking as was aware their licence for the engine was proporietry but wasn't sure if they were able to pick up updates from Crytek as they got released to install into Lumberyard as that hasn't been noted. Saying that doesn't Cryengine offer full access to their source code for free thus anyone could pick out those details as well as Crytek update their engine?

The source code is open if you get the GitHub version, its not 'open source'

Crytek give devs full access to the source code for flexibility reasons, not for competitors to lift code and features out of it, user licensing agreements forbid it and it is propriety tech, so its illegal to lift it and use it for your own commercial products.

At least thats how i understand it, i'm no expert so could be wrong.

Soldato
The source code is open if you get the GitHub version, its not 'open source'

Crytek give devs full access to the source code for flexibility reasons, not for competitors to lift code and features out of it, user licensing agreement forbid it and it is propriety tech, so its illegal to lift it and use it for your own commercial products.

At least thats how i understand it, i'm no expert so could be wrong.

That again is fair enough. My thought there of course though is still going to be even if Amazon can't 'lift' the code though, they can see what they are doing and if they feel it works implement a string that does similar/same for them. There will be only so many ways to write code when it uses the same base anyways without re-writing a heck of a lot more.

Again I don't know. I haven't looked into Lumberyard to know details but I have used CryEngine although it was CryEngine 3.0 when I last did. What is interesting is that if I put CryEngine source and Lumberyard source together though as long as I didn't release anything for commercial gain I would be good.

I assume for instance CIG would be taking source from both, comparing it and re-writing what they need for them no problem into their version of the engine and as long as they don't 'lift' the code they are good to go then.

Edit: Anyways to all of that it means that ID Tech, CryEngine, Lumberyard and UE4 can all if they wish make sure code is written to allow use of larger

Soldato
Well I should be receiving my Asus Zenith this week. It looks a great board but my god is it expensive! Apparently the Prime X399-A should be available a short while after launch.

Associate
Sheesh! I know the £ is crap lately, but I saw someone on Reddit post their prices & had a look, all set to say "Oh, you poor cobbers" but I converted their prices.
You know something's wrong, when even the Aussies are paying (slightly) less than those in blighty :rolleyes:

Caporegime
That again is fair enough. My thought there of course though is still going to be even if Amazon can't 'lift' the code though, they can see what they are doing and if they feel it works implement a string that does similar/same for them. There will be only so many ways to write code when it uses the same base anyways without re-writing a heck of a lot more.

Again I don't know. I haven't looked into Lumberyard to know details but I have used CryEngine although it was CryEngine 3.0 when I last did. What is interesting is that if I put CryEngine source and Lumberyard source together though as long as I didn't release anything for commercial gain I would be good.

I assume for instance CIG would be taking source from both, comparing it and re-writing what they need for them no problem into their version of the engine and as long as they don't 'lift' the code they are good to go then.

Edit: Anyways to all of that it means that ID Tech, CryEngine, Lumberyard and UE4 can all if they wish make sure code is written to allow use of larger

Yeah maybe, CIG have some of the most talented devs and coders on the planet, and most of the German office are ex-Cryengine devs, those guys made the Engine, they can do it without needing to look inside what is now Cryengine 5.

Soldato
Yeah maybe, CIG have some of the most talented devs and coders on the planet, and most of the German office are ex-Cryengine devs, those guys made the Engine, they can do it without needing to look inside what is now Cryengine 5.

Aye if you want to discuss more, might be worth moving convo to the SC thread. But yeah there are a few things to that though :)

Back
Top Bottom