• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Why is the 8/16 TR better than the 1700 ?

For the PCIE lanes mainly. I'm looking at a single PC to run two gaming virtual machines for the household with pcie passthrough without having to compromise on 16x lanes for the GPU or 4x lanes for storage. Also has the upgrade potential to go all the way to 16 cores and 4 GPU's later if I need it.

Might have to wait until release and reviews to make sure it can do all that of course.

Soldato
For the PCIE lanes mainly. I'm looking at a single PC to run two gaming virtual machines for the household with pcie passthrough without having to compromise on 16x lanes for the GPU or 4x lanes for storage. Also has the upgrade potential to go all the way to 16 cores and 4 GPU's later if I need it.

Might have to wait until release and reviews to make sure it can do all that of course.
I see.
so for someone like me who only will ever use 1 GPU and 1 SSD. Just stick with R7 then?

Soldato
8 core version of TR will come with base clock of 3.8 and will cost 549 dolars. Imho great value
Nice, I predicted between $500 (same price as 1800X) and $550. :D

Still, there's a pretty big gap between a £300 R7 1700 and a £500 Threadripper 1900X just for the 64 PCIe lanes. Sure the latter chip doesn't need overclocking and has quad channel RAM but I, and most people here, don't care about that.

Associate
And the Asetek mounting kit I posted few days ago, according to Paul's Hardware is included in the box. So it should be ok to use NZXT, some of the Corsair AIOs out of the box

Soldato
I'd be surprised if Threadripper did anything more on normal cooling than hitting the same 4ghz barrier as the 8 core Ryzens.

Will be interesting to see how intels chips come out because their 18 core will be at a stock of 2.6Ghz apparently and it would appear they are lying about the TDP (not that one, the 10 core appeared to be drawing 225w stock instead of 165w). Maybe they can overclock a lot but only at a gigantic power cost which intel really dont want to put on paper.

Caporegime
TDP is the amount of cooling required, usually there is a correlation between power draw and cooling requirements but Intel use the crappy thermal paste so the chips don't dissipate as much heat as they should. If the new chips use solder instead of TIM they could have a much higher TDP but run cooler temperature-wise, you'd need better cooling though.

Back
Top Bottom