• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Shouldn't we wait for reviews before making that conclusion? If Skylake-X/E is better, why is it being beating by a number of benchmarks on Broadwell-E?

Because BWE isn't Skylake-E, not sure what else to tell you there. X299 is just a better enthusiast platform as far as I'm concerned. 4.8-4.5 7900X with 4Ghz DRAM is potent.

EDIT: Just re-read your post. I'm sure you've got some plucked examples of this somewhere.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff

1000%+ 3333mhz C14

I cant discuss performance benefits of quad vs dual. I said before no performance discussion before NDA up. I am just showing helping customers with purchase choices and known good mems.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Because BWE isn't Skylake-E, not sure what else to tell you there. X299 is just a better enthusiast platform as far as I'm concerned. 4.8-4.5 7900X with 4Ghz DRAM is potent.

EDIT: Just re-read your post. I'm sure you've got some plucked examples of this somewhere.

They maybe but I am personally waiting for reviews and ill buy the one which fits my needs better.

This one example, I've come across where in some instances where BW-E scores above Skylake-X. Also in this example the increased memory speeds didn't make much of increase on the Intel X299 platform. This all the more reason to wait IMO.

Soldato
Shouldn't we wait for reviews before making that conclusion? If Skylake-X/E is better, why is it being beating by a number of benchmarks on Broadwell-E?
One area it certainly will be faster is single-threaded performance but while that's an important factor on mainstream platforms, it matters less on HEDT platforms. It'll likely have faster RAM too. Threadripper is going to win by a mile in raw multi-threaded performance, PCIe lanes, and value for money though.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
One area it certainly will be faster is single-threaded performance but while that's certainly an important factor on mainstream platforms, it matters less on HEDT platforms. It'll likely have faster RAM too. Threadrippre is going to win by a mile in raw multi-threaded performance, PCIe lanes, and value for money though.

I agree.

My main gripe with Skylake-E is the need to have it delided to really push it.

Soldato
I agree.

My main gripe with Skylake-E is the need to have it delided to really push it.

Yes, that is certainly a gripe. I have a feeling the SKU coming later this year and next will be indium, but may not be the case. AMD aren't yet under the microscope when it comes to their environmental footprint.

IFW

IFW

Associate
Yeah looks like Samsung IC so should be totally fine.

Would it be possible to post 64GB results, but 4x16 (not 8x8)?
I'd like to use 128GB eventually, but 64GB is fine atm. However, I am not planning on buying a 8x8 kit and selling it when I upgrade - I'd use a 4x16 kit and buy another one later.

Soldato
Would it be possible to post 64GB results, but 4x16 (not 8x8)?
I'd like to use 128GB eventually, but 64GB is fine atm. However, I am not planning on buying a 8x8 kit and selling it when I upgrade - I'd use a 4x16 kit and buy another one later.

Those capacities at speeds beyond 2933 are tough on Ryzen's memory controller and coverage is geologically slow.

IFW

IFW

Associate
So it's better than how Ryzen 7 is/was?
Still, the above picture is for 8x8, not 4x16. Would be nice to know in advance that I can actually run 4x16 at high speeds (and add another 4x16 kit later)

IFW

IFW

Associate
Just noticed your 128GB comment, cheers!
Can I assume that if 128GB (8x16) works flawlessly, the same kit, just 64GB (4x16) will work just as well without all the slots populated?

Soldato

1000%+ 3333mhz C14

I cant discuss performance benefits of quad vs dual. I said before no performance discussion before NDA up. I am just showing helping customers with purchase choices and known good mems.

100% stable? Also what memory is that?

IFW

IFW

Associate
In theory quad channel should benefit TR a lot more than it does SX... so... let's wait for the reviews ;)

Back
Top Bottom