• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
Frankly, i think any CPU above $500 should be soldered let alone $1000. Yeah, if AMD can undercut Skylake-X like they did with Ryzen against mainstream Kaby Lake then it'll be a bloodbath.

Associate
Honestly can't wait to see benchmarks over the next month. I'm either going Skylake-X or Threadripper. Looking at this and probably prices, it'll be my first AMD CPU since my Athlon XP 1800!

Soldato
I know there is always the debate about if multi core is really utilised well for gaming but that's when talking about 4/8. Is this CPU going to be aimed primarily at people who do video encoding and 3d work?

Soldato
interesting. Does a larger socket mean better cooling as heat will be spread over a larger area?

No, because with a larger socket comes a CPU with a bigger die, which generates more heat.

Threadripper doesn't have a single large die, it's just a cut down naples.

9yjlB5j.png

Here's the Noctua coolers showing up for Threadripper.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/0...ex_has_amd_threadripper_heat_sinks_more_rumor
9e90698b86674c5c92bcc755e93c11f4.png

Soldato
Interesting, so what does that mean for cooling?

You'll need one of these new coolers from Noctua, or a new AIO that supports that massive socket.

The TDP on Threadripper is still good though, and lower than Intels. So it should still be cooler than Intel's new upcoming Skylake X which isn't even soldered.

As you can see the base on those coolers is massive compared to the likes of a D15 by comparison.

92fec9da39b8485094fad98c075e4cae.png

Soldato
No, because with a larger socket comes a CPU with a bigger die, which generates more heat.

Actually not the case with AMD.

The Ryzen 9 lineup are just multiple CCXs on the came "CPU" connected via the infinity fabric and plenty of space between them. The 16 core one is literally 2 Ryzen 7 chips together.
Someone showed picture above from the 32core naples which is 4 Ryzen 7 CPUs wired together. So you see the big gaps between the cores.

All that big surface area does allow for better cooling. So that monster Asus board which already fell in love with, with a huge monoblock from EK, going to look absolutely stunning on a TT P5 case with a Vega Dual GPU sitting vertically (with the TT premium cable ofc).
In a nice dual loop making the letters R and V :) in orange and red respectively (Ryzen logo is orange, Vega is red).

(yes yes already made the plans and preparations ;) )

Back
Top Bottom