• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Caporegime
Is there a possibility that AMD could up the core count on the threadripper from 16 cores in response to 7980XE ?

I could be wrong it looks to me like Threadripper is actually EPYC but with 16 of its cores disabled, like With 'Intel Enthusiast' Threadripper is just a server CPU that did't make the grade, it comes from a 32 core CPU....

So the answer is yes, if AMD wanted to get into a cores war with Intel they would win it because AMD do have more cores on a single packaged, and one with even more coming, 48 cores. 'Starship'

Shiny ... check.
New ... check.
Powah ... check.

*bookmarked.

:D

Soldato
I could be wrong it looks to me like Threadripper is actually EPYC but with 16 of its cores disabled, like With 'Intel Enthusiast' Threadripper is just a server CPU that did't make the grade, it comes from a 32 core CPU....

So the answer is yes, if AMD wanted to get into a cores war with Intel they would win it because AMD do have more cores on a single packaged, and one with even more coming, 48 cores. 'Starship'

:D

EPYC is made from up to four 8 cores parts, one the same CPU package. Using the same socket LGA 4094 that was announced at the FAD earleir in the month, and supports 128 PCI-E lanes.

So yes, if they want to then they could make 32 core Threadripper

Soldato
Oh boy it will be funny if AMD do an intel and announce 24 or 32 core flagship model at the press conference whilst all the time they have feeding the 16 core thread ripper news to everyone :p

Caporegime
Oh boy it will be funny if AMD do an intel and announce 24 or 32 core flagship model at the press confetence whilst all the time they have feeding the 16 core thread ripper news to everyone :p

Wait for Intel to start shouting "look at us with 4Ghz 16 core CPU's.... we win....... $2000" and then go... here is a 24 core CPU to blow your 4Ghz 16 core CPU into last year..... $1000! :D

Soldato
Huh?
Wait for Intel to start shouting "look at us with 4Ghz 16 core CPU's.... we win....... $2000" and then go... here is a 24 core CPU to blow your 4Ghz 16 core CPU into last year..... $1000! :D

Actually the Intel server parts that will be used for the "halo" $2000 CPU, don't clock that well. Let alone overclock, because is pretty small single cut core that will be very difficult to cool efficiently even with custom WC.And lets hope is soldered and not with TIM.

On the contrary as you see from the pics. AMD 32 core CPU is pretty huge, with physically 4 Ryzen 7s on a single "CPU PCB", while the cores having plenty of space between them, so a good cooler would cool them efficiently, even OC them. A 480XE with 8 Vardars could cut it nicely :)

Also we do not know how the Infinity Fabric would perform under quad channel RAM. We might not need more than 16 cores to beat the Intel line up :D

Associate
What is the status of ECC support on the X399 boards? I think there's a few of those being shown in Computex. Do any/all sport support for ECC RAM?

Soldato
What is the status of ECC support on the X399 boards? I think there's a few of those being shown in Computex. Do any/all sport support for ECC RAM?

Actually all Ryzen CPUs support ECC Ram. The ball is on the mobo manufacturers to support it.
eg the X370 K7 does support it, but the CH6 doesn't.

Same would apply to the X399 boards. Depending the mobo manufacturer.

Associate
Actually all Ryzen CPUs support ECC Ram. The ball is on the mobo manufacturers to support it.
eg the X370 K7 does support it, but the CH6 doesn't.

Same would apply to the X399 boards. Depending the mobo manufacturer.

...hence my question. I can accept that most AM4 boards chose to not support it, but X399 is actually a platform addressing people that want/need these things. It'd be a pity if they gimped on it for such high end boards...

So far I've only managed to find claims for ECC support for the X399 AORUS Gaming 7...

Soldato
Is Epyc going to have the same socket as Threadripper? Could it have if they wanted it too?

If it does then you could harvest Epyc chips with two failed cores off each cluster and produce a 24 Core 48 Thread chip and slot that in the top of the Threadripper stack while sticking two fingers up to Intel.

There is certainly going to be some very heated reviews coming up - bear in mind that we now have 4000 Mhz Ram support for Ryzen which we can hope will spill over into Threadripper...

Back
Top Bottom