• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Man of Honour
It seems to be isolated to slots D1, D2, C1 and C2. It boots into Windows with all DIMMs in the 'wrong' slots of A2, A1, B2 and B1.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It seems to be isolated to slots D1, D2, C1 and C2. It boots into Windows with all DIMMs in the 'wrong' slots of A2, A1, B2 and B1.

Ah, that'll just be dual channel then - try running a mem bandwidth test (SiSoft Sandra) to confirm.

Maybe the ram just isn't capable of validating in quad channel. Is it a quad channel kit? Although the symptoms you describe is another indicator of a mis-seated cpu. I'd take a long close look at the socket pins to make sure you haven't bent any during installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Team Group Xtreem "8Pack Edition" 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
PC4-32000C18 4000MHz Quad Channel Kit - Black

That's what's on the invoice so yeah it should be quad channel.

Unfortunately the board appears quite picky and only ever boots of the correct single DIMM slot so I'm really not sure what else I can check.

Man of Honour
Team Group Xtreem "8Pack Edition" 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
PC4-32000C18 4000MHz Quad Channel Kit - Black

That's what's on the invoice so yeah it should be quad channel.

Unfortunately the board appears quite picky and only ever boots of the correct single DIMM slot so I'm really not sure what else I can check.

New board is on the cards I feel.

Man of Honour
I've missed the boat as well now for delivery tomorrow. :(

At least with it in dual channel I have a usable PC and can game and start building the lab out.

Man of Honour

At least with it in dual channel I have a usable PC and can game and start building the lab out.

For what it's worth I'm running a pair of dual channel 4x8gb (gskill 3466) kits with first gen and the memory controller is much improved on 3rd gen so I'd expect it to work. Scrap that board imo

Soldato

Only half the channels working are a clear indication of a mis-seated CPU, or as you suspect a faulty board. The SP3/TR4 socket is incredibly sensitive, you can try slackening off the socket screws a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, but I know you are fed up presently.

Man of Honour
Only half the channels working are a clear indication of a mis-seated CPU, or as you suspect a faulty board. The SP3/TR4 socket is incredibly sensitive, you can try slackening off the socket screws a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, but I know you are fed up presently.
I'll have another go tomorrow after a decent nights sleep and the return of some natural light.

Man of Honour
Yes I’ve done that, it’s been covered. It now blue screens. :( but that may be as I never did a rebuild. I’ll investigate more tomorrow.

Associate
Quite a story @ChrisD. I was about to suggest something as simple as checking there is video coming out, as I had some scares installing the cpu, thought I might have damaged the CPU when I didn't slide it all the way in the carriage the first time. So when I booted to my horror I saw the OLED had a POST error, but it was simply reflecting the fat that the it's the first boot and the BIOS defaults were on :p. Luckily for me the CPU installation was the only real scare and it's been a easy street since. Updated the BIOS and the chipset, set the RAM to 3200.

Thaiphoon burner tells me that the extra 32gb of Corsair ram I bought is Samsung B-Die like the 32gb I was running on my 3900x. They look an exact match underneath the lights so should be able to set it to 3600 with my previous 3900x settings.

Hope you sort out your leaks. Gotta get a hold on that.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Just checking in on your beast @amigafan2003 , how's it going? Happy with mb and cpu setup?

It's ******* amazing! Been running it through the mill this week with lots of my Ph.D workloads (good excuse to work from home). I've run multiple heavy loads at the same time (Blender, Unity, Premier, some data analysis with python etc) and it has never broken a sweat - although I have hit my 32gb ram limit occasionally so I'm definitely ready for my new ram to arrive. I've calculated that this system could quite possible save me half a day a week, which really is quite something!

I did have to lol just now when playing WoW classic - 3% processor utilisation!

Associate
Thats awesome. Don't suppose you use scikit-learn for ML (as not GPU enabled, only cpu)? Doing masters AI and do lots ML with scikit, so moooaaar cores would be awesome! Saving half a day a week is great, thats a nice piece of additional work you can get through. Is that 4x8Gb you got at mo? I'm wondering whether to go 4x16 for 64, and leave 4 slots empty for now?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Thats awesome. Don't suppose you use scikit-learn for ML (as not GPU enabled, only cpu)? Doing masters AI and do lots ML with scikit, so moooaaar cores would be awesome! Saving half a day a week is great, thats a nice piece of additional work you can get through. Is that 4x8Gb you got at mo? I'm wondering whether to go 4x16 for 64, and leave 4 slots empty for now?

I don't use that I'm afraid - it's all custom written python atm but it does load the cores up well. I have 4x8gb currently but have 4x16gb on the way. I did think about 8x16gb but I don't use that much mem so the trade off in speed wouldn't be worth it for me atm - although with 4 slots free it's an option down the line. I plan on holding onto the board for a while!

Back
Top Bottom