• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Caporegime
I can't wait for the 3990WX to show up in my cinebench thread, the ####'### score bar is going out the little score box, through the rendered image and out the otherside of the screen, blink and you'll miss it, its going to take the pee.

*when CPU's go from being meh to ridiculous in one generation*

Soldato
I wish.
If they could release something without any focus on raytracing, but was at least as fast as the 2080Ti for no more than £750, then I would buy one now.

Which is exactly what they should have done, rather than palming of an unfinished product at an extraordinary price using the unfinished bit as the excuse for said price.

I find it utterly hilarious that people pretended it was worth the £500+ premium over a GTX 1080 Ti, which should have been, as you rightly said directly replaced with the real 'GTX' 2080 Ti, offering the 30% performance increase at the same cost.

Anyway back to Threadripper...

Caporegime
We would have moaned even more had AMD not bothered to release an "interim GPU"

Pricing isn't bad, always been a little cheaper than a 2070S and just looking now you can get an AIB 5700XT for £350, that's £100 lees than where the 2070S starts. that's a clear win for consumers.

And to be fair, given its an interim architecture revision, sort of half next gen, its a good GPU, a lot better than Vega. well Raja is Intel's problem now :p i hear its delayed.....

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Which is exactly what they should have done, rather than palming of an unfinished product at an extraordinary price using the unfinished bit as the excuse for said price.

I find it utterly hilarious that people pretended it was worth the £500+ premium over a GTX 1080 Ti, which should have been, as you rightly said directly replaced with the real 'GTX' 2080 Ti, offering the 30% performance increase at the same cost.

Anyway back to Threadripper...

Yup - look at my system - prepared to drop 1400 on a new cpu (82% perf increase for 50% increase in cost - I can live with that) and 500 on a new mobo but not on a new gfx card - I think says something about the state of the gpu market atm.

I'd love to get an AMD gpu in there.

Man of Honour
Replacement board in, and........

......the first one is faulty, new one booted up straight away with the RAM in the correct slots.

Man of Honour
Sadly not yet. Said lady friend from the other evening is due over shortly. So I’ll have to finish off the loop tomorrow or Sunday and then do some proper testing to ensure it’s quad channel etc.

Soldato
I wish.
If they could release something without any focus on raytracing, but was at least as fast as the 2080Ti for no more than £750, then I would buy one now.
And that's why the 2080 Ti has been priced as it has. Still untouchable in terms of raw performance without even considering the new RT features and it's over a year into it's lifespan - and we're probably well over 50% through that. I won't be surprised if NV release much better performing GPU's before AMD even reach the level of the 2080 Ti, even without RT on board.

Also why NV bringing RT to market at the time was perfect for them. They're still untouchable even with a load of RT stuff on board. While maybe the 20 series hasn't been as good for them as hoped, it's a good foundation they've now built IMO. By the time the 30 series arrives you'd be mad to buy a brand new non-RT card IMO, unless cheap.

Last edited:
Permabanned
And that's why the 2080 Ti has been prices as it has. Still untouchable in terms of raw performance and with RT as an addition over a year into it's lifespan - and we're probably well over 50% through that. I won't be surprised if NV release much better performing GPU's before AMD even reach the level of the 2080 Ti, even without RT.

In my situation I am not too worried if Nvidia release something faster, I still run a 1080. If AMD can match 2080Ti territory at a more reasonable price that will be where my money goes.

Soldato
In my situation I am not too worried if Nvidia release something faster, I still run a 1080. If AMD can match 2080Ti territory at a more reasonable price that will be where my money goes.
Depends on how close we are to the NV next gen really. 2080 Ti performance (minus RT) for lets say £750 may soon look like a bad deal if the 3080 Ti is 60% better performing and with 200%+ improvement in RT for lets say £1199. Anywhere near NV's expected release I'd sit tight. And I'd say start of next year,or by March, will be the time to sit tight :), even if it's just to see prices of non NV cards adjust.

AMD are hot with their CPU's now so hopefully do a bit of catching up over the next generation or two.

Last edited:
Soldato
Meanwhile back in Threadripper land...

... I've discovered that the Noctua air cooler is dandy, but probably won't do much good once real summer hits. At 20oC ambient:

Realbench stress test inc 32GB RAM - 82oC die (reported on mobo screen) and 91oC cores, at 100%/280W CPU power usage after a 15 minute run.
Indigo Bench / Cinebench - 50 die and 60 oC core temp after repeated runs.

So, real world usage I'll be fine even with some transcoding or whatever. But for Handbrake + OpenGL rendering + video + whatever at once with 100% load, summer would be... interesting. At least I have time to plan my custom loop. :D

Back
Top Bottom