• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Man of Honour
Still no luck. I can only boot with more than one stick if I use the slots I mentioned before. Time to order a new board. The Asus was ordered from a competitor, would it be easiest just to return it under distance selling or whatever it's called so I don't have to go around the RMA merry go round process?

Not sure what to get, I quite like the Asus board, it looks to have better VRM's compared to others similarly priced.

Another thing I've noticed is that when navigating the BIOS it's really, really laggy. I'll press left or another key and sometimes it's instant, other times it takes about a second to respond to my input.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess that depends on the place you ordered it from really. For DOA/faulty from new it is hard to not follow the RMA process since it could be fine, but I am not sure about the entire distance selling regulations of opened/used items.

Did you notice any warping to the board at all? A very slight bow to the board can cause significant issues especially on TR4's based CPU with a larger than normal surface area and many RAM slots surrounding the socket.

I'd whip the board out and see how it looks, I assume you can't test it outside of the chassis?

The laggy BIOS is a bit of a strange one, and it could point to the CPU or board.

Man of Honour
No it all looks good. Testing outside would be possible, however I would have to strip the loop and drain it, remove the rads, fans, basically starting again.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

More suitable memory kits added to the store, working on some 128G versions as well with Corsair:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Quad Channel Kit (Black) @ £248.99 inc VAT

CMK64GX4M4C3200C16, 3200MHz RAM Speed, CAS 16-18-18-36 Timings, 1.35v VDIMM, Lifetime Warranty with OcUK.

Only £248.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Corsair Vengeance LPX 256GB (8x32GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Quad Channel Kit (Black) @ £1,129.99 inc VAT

CMK256GX4M8E3200C16, 3200MHz RAM Speed, CAS 16-20-20-38 Timings, 1.35v VDIMM, Lifetime Warranty with OcUK.

Only £1,129.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 256GB (8x32GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz Quad Channel Kit (Black) @ £1,148.99 inc VAT

CMW256GX4M8E3200C16, 3200MHz RAM Speed, CAS 16-20-20-38 Timings, 1.35v VDIMM, Lifetime Warranty with OcUK.

Only £1,148.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Meh, what a pain in the hole. Shame you don't have an AIO or an air cooler lying around. :(

I bought a cheap 50 quid AIO for just this very reason (and a spare good psu)! I always build outside of the case first. It's great for doing bios updates etc before putting it in the case proper.

Man of Honour
I bought a cheap 50 quid AIO for just this very reason (and a spare good psu)! I always build outside of the case first. It's great for doing bios updates etc before putting it in the case proper.
Yes I think I'm going to do the same along with a cheap GPU (my GPU is a WB version so no HSF). What's the cheapest GPU and CPU HSF that would work? I've contacted the retailer of the motherboard and as I'm within 14 days I am returning the board and will probably order the same one from OcUK now.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yes I think I'm going to do the same along with a cheap GPU (my GPU is a WB version so no HSF). What's the cheapest GPU and CPU HSF that would work? I've contacted the retailer of the motherboard and as I'm within 14 days I am returning the board and will probably order the same one from OcUK now.

I have a Corsair H50 (H55 will also work with the Asetek plate provided with TR processors) - have a look around and they can be had for 50 quid - just obviously don't load up the cpu with benchmarks - but it's fine for installing windows and testing for general stability etc.

Any pci express gfx card will work - find one that has the outputs you need for your monitor (although it's worth having a dvi > hdmi or DP converter in your box of tricks as well) - something like https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr3-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-396-as.html will be fine.

Soldato

Coming from a diagnostics and repair/engineering background the number of spares, and tools I've collected is immense. Yet somehow, I always need something else to add to the collection. :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Coming from a diagnostics and repair/engineering background the number of spares, and tools I've collected is immense. Yet somehow, I always need something else to add to the collection. :D

Me too! I have a 50l box under the bed that full of cables, fans, ADSL splitters, spare hose - all kinds of things.

Associate
Still no luck. I can only boot with more than one stick if I use the slots I mentioned before. Time to order a new board. The Asus was ordered from a competitor, would it be easiest just to return it under distance selling or whatever it's called so I don't have to go around the RMA merry go round process?

Not sure what to get, I quite like the Asus board, it looks to have better VRM's compared to others similarly priced.

Another thing I've noticed is that when navigating the BIOS it's really, really laggy. I'll press left or another key and sometimes it's instant, other times it takes about a second to respond to my input.

In my view i'd definitely return it as it does appear to have a fault. You're well within your rights.

Not that I have much to compare it with, but I do like this Strix board. The OLED is a nice touch so you can glance at the CPU temp, for me, it just works. You've just been unlucky with yours. I did experience lag in the BIOS a while ago but seems to have resolved itself.

I'm doing some mem tests myself for my overclocked 64gb @3600. Hopefully all is good.

Man of Honour
In my view i'd definitely return it as it does appear to have a fault. You're well within your rights.

Not that I have much to compare it with, but I do like this Strix board. The OLED is a nice touch so you can glance at the CPU temp, for me, it just works. You've just been unlucky with yours. I did experience lag in the BIOS a while ago but seems to have resolved itself.

I'm doing some mem tests myself for my overclocked 64gb @3600. Hopefully all is good.
Cheers, I ordered the same board and provided it arrives early, I should know by lunchtime.

Man of Honour
This is how it's sat with a few of my VMs migrated over. So far, so good. Just need more RAM now (new motherboard notwithstanding).

Idle's about 30 degrees, sits about 50 degrees with some workload on it and gets to about 73 max under all core benchmarking. I think the temps will be reduced with the replacement rad tomorrow as I've got a 2080 Ti and the 3960X on a single quad rad now.

M4rQvCr.png

Last edited:
Soldato
All built and running the latest Windows Workstation (for now, my father in law - who is a fellow OcUKer helped me build it and wanted to see Windows on it). I have to say, I'm still shocked at just how plain raw fast this thing is. Like, I knew spending the extra was painful and should be 'worth it' in theory, but to actually see how FAST this thing really is... I mean wth. Windows copied from USB3 at 150MB/sec plus (nowhere near that off the same drive on 8700K, same RAM), and didn't even go to the 'installing' stage of the checklist. It just 'copied files' and rebooted - it was already done. :eek:

Things are just so instant it isn't even funny. I don't miss my 8700K. At. ALL. The socket is a joy to work with (you don't really appreciate it on YT videos), and I love the torx screws + heatsink screws built in idea. So simple to work with. I used a Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut Pad instead of paste (more thermally conductive, reusable, no mess) and screwed on the heatsink in seconds... just before it sliced my FIL's thumb open as he installed the 2nd CPU 8 pin. Oops. :( Those things are sharp.

Idle is around 32 degrees, with late 30s under 'general load' (web, VPN, Cinebench open not running, few background processes etc). Full load is coping OK so far - several back to back Cinebench runs saw me hit mid 60s and the same for an Indigo bench run. I suspect it'd keep climbing if it was, say, transcoding. It'll do until I can justify a custom loop (next on the list!) though, and does cool down very quickly indeed (65 to 35 in about two seconds), so it does have good capcity and great contact.

Now I'm off to play. :D Thanks for all the advice chaps.

ETA: It is so quiet! I'm used to 240mm fans on the front intake pulling in through the front panel mesh for the AIO, 360mm in the roof and 140mm on the rear. Now I have 140mm on the rear and 140mm on the air cooler (not counting the VRM/chipset/GPU fans). Bliss. I do need to add 280mm Noctua fans to the front tomorrow though, just for proper airflow.

Edit 2: Just for those reading and considering TR, here's a quick Indigo Bench comparison between my old 8700K overclocked and the same 32GB of 8Pack RAM at 3600MHz. Ignore the 3.7GHz that's just the baseclock and Indigo didn't see the overclock just the chip's reported base clock.

Code:
Indigo Benchmark v4.0.64, Windows 64-bit build.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (GenuineIntel) - Bedroom: 1.024 M samples/s (1280x720, 60.063 s, 66.731 samples/pixel)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (GenuineIntel) - Supercar: 2.506 M samples/s (1280x720, 60.063 s, 163.347 samples/pixel)

Code:
Indigo Benchmark v4.0.64, Windows 64-bit build.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor (AuthenticAMD) - Bedroom: 3.865 M samples/s (1280x720, 60.125 s, 252.143 samples/pixel)

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor (AuthenticAMD) - Supercar: 8.671 M samples/s (1280x720, 60.063 s, 565.134 samples/pixel)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut Pad
What pad did you use?

I can't say I feel the same about the install and general use compared to my 8086k, they feel one and the same. The difference is when you start loading it up, the 8086k used to struggle with a few VMs going and stuff running, the 3960x just breezes on by, but you'd expect that with it having 18 more physical cores.

Soldato
OP
AMD CPU division on fire atm. Smashed it with mainstream chips and thread ripper.

Come on AMD now just launch an Nvidia 2080 Ti killer GPU. Cheaper and faster would be lovely, you can leave out ray tracing xD

Back
Top Bottom