• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD To Launch RV770 On June 18th

Results seem a bit suspect, then again when a new cards coming closer all these obscure sites "just happen" to get all this caper online and talk about it like its gospel truth. Since the 4870x2 is meant to be the high end card this time around i dont see a single 4870 outperforming a gx2 like that.

If it does then good but i very much doubt it.

Think one of their links is broken, on the q6600 quadfire pic it just loads up the amd pic. Going from that article 1 4870 on a slower cpu is pulling similar results to quad 3870x2. 0_o

Think ill wait till oficial benchmarks come in.

Same here. I am just hoping for an alternative in the mid/high end sector. The vast majority of us are not concerned with cards like the 9800GX2. I mean there interesting and all, and one can dream, but, its cards like the 8800GT most of us are genuinly interested in. N at last we have a really solid alternative, even at the 25% quicker mark. ATI are apparantly pushing for some agressive pricing, we all know the nvidia cards will be quicker, but, if you can pick up say two 4850s or even 4870s for the price of the next nvidia GTX, then I think nvidia are in for a kicking, at long last :\. Am not a fan boy, I just want them put in there place for a while to spark some creativity for once.

Martyn

Probably go like this.........

GT280/60 > HD4870/50 > 9800series

worffrustration.gif

If these are decently priced (under £150) and do not have a stupid BIOS lock on core clock speeds, then I will happily ditch my 3870.

Hopefully, they will support the Arctic Cooling Acclero S1 rev2.

It's annoying, but at least it was easy enough to get around the bios lock on the 3800s.

I hope those benchmarks are correct :)

I think it's reasonable to assume that the nvidia cards will be better performers, given the pricing structure (ATI and nvidia always have a fairly good idea of what the other is producing well in advance). If those benchmarks turn out to be true though, I can't see how the nvidia cards will end up better value.

I hope those benchmarks are correct :)

I think it's reasonable to assume that the nvidia cards will be better performers, given the pricing structure (ATI and nvidia always have a fairly good idea of what the other is producing well in advance). If those benchmarks turn out to be true though, I can't see how the nvidia cards will end up better value.

I think even if ATi's new cards are faster than NV's, they'll be cheaper anyway. NV cards are always disproportionately priced compared to ATi's, the 9(8)800GX2 being an example and I can't see them under cutting, they know even if ATi is faster, they'll be able to make up a lot of sales through brand power.

if ati's best card is only 30% faster over a 9800 gx2 then its not good enough.

i hope ati comes out with the faster card but i think its highly unlikely now.

plus if people have up to date cards already theres no point in these as they will be too slow when more demanding games come out.

even if ATi is faster, they'll be able to make up a lot of sales through brand power.

I don't see it happening. The last time that was the case was the 5800 days. We all know how well that turned out for nvidia... Besides, they're not dealing with "ATI" anymore, they are dealing with the might and wealth of AMD, who can afford to bully them around in a way that ATI alone never could.

The nvidia cards will be faster and more expensive. Mark my words. The real questions are "by how much?", and "are they worth the extra?"

A single GPU card which is 30% faster than the current best dual-card solution in average fps benchmarks? Sounds pretty good to me (the 8800GTX, when released, was usually between 0% and 25% faster than the 7900GX2). Dual GPU solutions have lots of associated problems, even if they are great at pumping out a large number of raw frames. A single-GPU solution which can match it is okay in my books.

i hope ati comes out with the faster card but i think its highly unlikely now.

plus if people have up to date cards already theres no point in these as they will be too slow when more demanding games come out.

Its not even ati's high end card so if its 30 percent faster than a 9800gx2 then its more than good enough in my book. The prices that are being thrown around for this card make it even more worthy in my book. Though i doubt it will be that fast.

All I want from ATI tbh is a card that is slightly better than a GTX 15-20% but nice n' cheap, that would make me happy cos that is all the extra power I would want right now
I think it's relative as to what disappointment or satisfaction is to different people

A single GPU card which is 30% faster than the current best dual-card solution in average fps benchmarks? Sounds pretty good to me.

You realise that is half or so for min fps right?

my point is if people already have some type of 8800 or better, then the extra 30% avg framerate for games will be almost useless for games already out, by the time games coming out that are so demanding there will probably be refresh cards that can handle those demanding graphics.

Still we need to wait for benchmarks but im not hopeful on it being awesome, i agree and will say nvidia will release the best cards though along with high prices.

Back
Top Bottom