• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD To Launch RV770 On June 18th

It has 1.5x stream processors, not 1.25. Wouldn't that instantly give it a 50% boost over RV670? Then you've got the bus increase, RAM, clock increase, and shader clock increase. If these specs are true, 25% performance increase over G92 isn't that good at all.:confused:

It's got 1.5x the stream processors, and those stream processors are running at 1.5x the speed of the stream processors in the RV670, so really it's got around twice the amount of shader power (due to its independent shader clock supposedly). It's also got twice the TMUs and more memory bandwidth than R600 knew what to do with.

The Clocks will not be that high... Expect similar levels as RV670 for clock speed. At least initially. Performance will come from architeractural tweaks and increased efficiency.

I've always thought that if either of the graphics companies could come up with a feesible method of crossfiring a new generation card (eg 4870) with an older card (eg 2900 or even 1900) they'd make a killing as it would give greater incentive to stick with one particular company.

The only way I could think of this working is if they could offload physics caluculations, or other processes which could be performed, onto the older card and leave the newer card to do all the rendering.

I suppose the practicality of this would just make it too difficult to implement.

Would be nice that. Although I might get myself another 3850 when these 4xxx are released if it makes their price fall considerably.

Get my GTS sold this month for one of these and hopefully (from the reports) it would not cost me a lot to switch to a nice new 4870. Be good to go back to ATi after almost a year.

It's got 1.5x the stream processors, and those stream processors are running at 1.5x the speed of the stream processors in the RV670, so really it's got around twice the amount of shader power (due to its independent shader clock supposedly). It's also got twice the TMUs and more memory bandwidth than R600 knew what to do with.

Exactly! Just from the increased shaders and shader clock speed, disregarding the other tweaks, you're looking at 2x the performance of RV670, on paper at least, then taking into account the rest of the tweaks, it should be much more than 1.25x the speed of a 9800GTX considering the 3870X2 can/is a fair chunk faster than both the 8800 ultra and GTX (50% faster in the best situations). Without the limitations of the driver controlling what core does what on the 3870X2, the 4870 should be very fast indeed, and have consistent performance too. These cards need to hurry up and come out, depending on the price, I might get 2 4870s around when they come out. It's painful having a somewhat "high-end" PC with a bottom end X1600XT (temp since my 3870X2 died). I need a fast graphics card! :D

RV770 will launch as Radeon 4800 and will make its way into the FireStream stream processor and FireGL workstation cards. Both GDDR3 and GDDR5 memory will be supported by the chip, but ATI itself will only be offering GDDR5 cards. The Radeon 4850 version is set to come to market with an 800+ MHz core (the final clock has not been specified yet and will not be available until the final qualification is completed), while the 4870 will be the first mass-production GPU with a clock speed higher than 1 GHz. Prototype RV770 boards were clocked at about 1.05 GHz.

The graphics processor itself will integrate more texture memory units (TMUs), which is the Achilles' heel of the R6xx generation: 32 TMUs in the RV770 will challenge the 56/64 units of Nvidia’s G92/G92b.

The new graphics card generation is expected to become available to system integrators and OEMs in GDDR3/GDDR5 variants with 256/512/1024 MB buffers. 256 MB GDDR3 cards are exclusively targeted at OEMs (as well as ODMs, Sis) and are unlikely to shop up in retail. Expect to see mainly 512 MB GDDR5 cards in retail for both the 4850 and 4870. Just like the GPU, the memory clock isn't set in stone either, but we were told that the GDDR5 memory is currently running at a physical clock of 1.8 - 2.2 GHz.

With a 256-bit memory controller, we're talking about 115 to 141 GB/s of bandwidth. This number equals the memory bandwidth record set by the 2900XT 1GB GDDR4 (512-bit interface with GDDR4 at 1.1 GHz DDR).

:D:D:D:D

sauce

All I can say is...

POWER!!!!

Jeremy%20Clarkson.jpg

:D

I've always thought that if either of the graphics companies could come up with a feesible method of crossfiring a new generation card (eg 4870) with an older card (eg 2900 or even 1900) they'd make a killing as it would give greater incentive to stick with one particular company.

I suppose the practicality of this would just make it too difficult to implement.

? why?

I thought when using crossfire/sli they run at slowest cards speeds? therefore if it could be done and you had a 2900 and 4870 in crossfire they would run same as crossfired 2900's which is pointless and a waste of money,correct me if im wrong or read post wrong.

when i firsted used crossfire it was with a 1600xt + 1650pro they both ran at they own speed and could even clock them separately. so i don't know why some people think if u crossfire with a slower card it'll run both cards at the slow one. the only thing that changed was the memory. it ran both cards at 256mb instead of 1 at 256mb and other at 512mb.

Supposingly someone broke his NDA and revealed that RV770 has indeed 800sp and not the rumoured 480.

No idea if its correct, but it fits with the other rumour that the clock speed wont be higher than RV670.

Its definetely getting interesting...

Edit: Some are speculating that it relates to the Physics rendering thing... Remains to be seen!

Last edited:
Supposingly someone broke his NDA and revealed that RV770 has indeed 800sp and not the rumoured 480.

No idea if its correct, but it fits with the other rumour that the clock speed wont be higher than RV670.

Its definetely getting interesting...

Edit: Some are speculating that it relates to the Physics rendering thing... Remains to be seen!

Possibly BS if you ask me. But with a dual core it would be feasible. Perhaps he/she is thinking about the X2.

If these are decently priced (under £150) and do not have a stupid BIOS lock on core clock speeds, then I will happily ditch my 3870.

Hopefully, they will support the Arctic Cooling Acclero S1 rev2.

Back
Top Bottom