• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD To Launch RV770 On June 18th

This gives me 2 days to research these cards as I get paid on the 20th plus I get a bonus next month too. I'm hoping that I'll sell my 3850 512M and buy a 4850Pro if they are worth it, for a small outlay. Worst case scenario is I'll buy two 4870's for CF and blow all my bonus and a chunk into my salary!

I have this horrible feeling that the new Nvidia cards will boss DX9 games, and do good in the few DX10 ones around.

ATI will as before do ok in DX10, great in DX10.1 but lower in DX9 despite a superior architecture.

For enthusiasts, it will probably come down to what you play and what that game utilises.

For mad shoppers, it will just come down to the latest benchmark, or whatever is out at the time.

A single GPU card which is 30% faster than the current best dual-card solution in average fps benchmarks? Sounds pretty good to me (the 8800GTX, when released, was usually between 0% and 25% faster than the 7900GX2).

Thats why I never buy into SLI :D

You realise that is half or so for min fps right?

:confused: Not sure what you're trying to say here...

If the single card is beating dual-GPU solutions *at all* in average FPS benchmarks, then it's going to spank them on minimum FPS stats. SLI solutions have problem down that end.

As for whether you can actually find a use for the extra power - well that's a user specific choice, isn't it? At least we will now have the option of more powerful solutions. No-one is forcing you to buy one if you, personally, don't feel you need it.

All I want from ATI tbh is a card that is slightly better than a GTX 15-20% but nice n' cheap, that would make me happy cos that is all the extra power I would want right now
I think it's relative as to what disappointment or satisfaction is to different people

I am the same as i run t 1360 x768,need something to replace my 320 but want a single gpu unless they sorted out crossfire/sli will look at nvidia but i think they be quite a bit more than ati but you never know.

I am the same as i run t 1360 x768,need something to replace my 320 but want a single gpu unless they sorted out crossfire/sli will look at nvidia but i think they be quite a bit more than ati but you never know.

At that resolution I imagine the extra cash on the high-end nvidia cards would be somewhat wasted.

At that resolution I imagine the extra cash on the high-end nvidia cards would be somewhat wasted.

maybe and it will depend on price, that why i am looking at ati card more so then nvidia, i have a 21" crt screen but don't use it at the moment so i can go up a few resolutions

:confused: Not sure what you're trying to say here...

If the single card is beating dual-GPU solutions *at all* in average FPS benchmarks, then it's going to spank them on minimum FPS stats. SLI solutions have problem down that end.

I thought you meant avg FPS in benchmarks, not in avg benchmarks.

I wouldnt say SLI has problems with minimum fps, it actually does increase them quite a bit in some games. its not perfect no but for the games it does work in it works well.

How long until benchmarks for these new cards, anyone take a guess? i would have thought this month the latest

crysis would say differnt
Yes it would but if the expected latest from Ati gave a reasonable to very good play rate in Crysis-then pound for pound it would be worth it. Correct me if I am wrong but I am unaware of any game due within the next 12 months that will be more demanding than Crysis?

Last edited:
Is it me or is the texel fillrate rather low?

Yes it is much lower than nvidia's. However i think that nvidia use TMU's for AA while AMD use the SP so they probably don't need as many- might be wrong on that. From what we have seen on price/wattage AMD can't compete on performance any more and are trying to design a card that will get contracts with Dell/HP etc. Lets hope it works for them.

Back
Top Bottom