• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The memory architecture is in no way gimped on B550 boards, in fact the top half on the board is usually identical to the top half on X570 boards, the only difference is the lower half, X570 has a chipset that supports PCIe 4, so you can have PCIe 4 ancillaries in the bottom half of the board, you can't with B550, only the top GPU and NVMe slots are PCIe 4, those lanes come from the CPU.

I don't see why it should be any different on B660 vs X670.

Associate
Thanks for the warning. Has a performance penalty been demonstrated in real world tasks, like software or games? And if so, please post a link.
Not many reviews around
This has 2x8GB kit stone dead last, although some of it is due to bad speed and timings. Still, note how multithreaded tasks like 7zip and y-cruncher suffer

Heres a buildzoid explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsz02tK626M&t=5886s

Soldato
Stay away from any DDR5 2x8GB
These have half bank groups per stick, with performance penalty almost like dropping to single channel mode
Do you mean single sided? From what I've seen lately supposedly even 2x16 kits are single sided now, but were dual sided a little while back. Only 2x32 kits are guaranteed dual sided on DDR5 if it's correct. Buildzoid said it makes next to no difference on DDR5 though.

Don
This has 2x8GB kit stone dead last, although some of it is due to bad speed and timings. Still, note how multithreaded tasks like 7zip and y-cruncher suffer
Looks more like just lower speed and worse timings cause that, nothing significant enough to suggest that it's a "half bank group" issue

Caporegime
I would think it makes about the same difference as it does on DDR4, there is a difference single sided, but it is as @Perfect_Chaos says very small, and dual sided modules don't overclock quite as well as they put a higher load on the IMC.

If you're going to overclock the RAM beyond its XMP rating anyway, if you're going to push them as high as you can get them, dual sided or single sided i don't think it matters, its 4+2 or 2X 3, the end result is the same. IMO.

Soldato
Yeah, still not sure if having fewer banks would cause issues. Probably fine, especially at higher frequencies and lower memory timings.

Main benefit of DDR5 is ofc higher frequencies, and the changes in the design also facilitate higher capacity RAM.

Soldato
Using 2x 8GB DDR5 is not as bad as being made out, the main issue is that it tends to be lower end modules that have such capacities.

I'm sure there will be a great deal more testing done once AM5 lands.

Soldato
The thing is, it will be quite easy to upgrade to higher capacity modules (when prices have reduced) in the coming years if needed, and just sell the 8gb modules (maybe alongside Zen 5 upgrade).

Soldato
Depends how long you plan on keeping it - with AM5 supposedly having a planned 5 year lifespan like AM4, PCI-E 5.0 could become relevant.

Exactly the same as every Intel launch ever - "Halo" parts (12900K) and upper-midrange parts (12600K/12700K) launched first (Q4 '21), with almost every other lower end part (e.g. 12600, 12500, 12300, 12100, G7400, G6900) launching Q1 '22 - potentially up to 6 months later.
cpus like the 12400 launched in Jan 22 only a couple of months after the K parts in November, Zen 3 budget parts arrived 18 months after the initial zen 3 launch.

Soldato
Anyone else noticing the price of Zen3 starting to creep back up now we're getting close to the Zen4 launch similar to how Zen2 increased prior to Zen 3 arriving?.

Soldato
Has there been any more news on the suggestion that all current intel boards slow down DDR5 to 4800 when using 4 slots?

There isn't news to be had, it is pretty much fact, getting past 4800 with 4x 16GB modules is nigh on impossible. Raptor lake should hopefully help with the better IMC, no idea on Zen4 though, I'd imagine it won't be super easy, but time will tell.

Caporegime
Anyone else noticing the price of Zen3 starting to creep back up now we're getting close to the Zen4 launch similar to how Zen2 increased prior to Zen 3 arriving?.

5950X and 5500 are labeled limited stock.
The 5600, 5700X, 5800X and 5900X are out of stock.

That's probably why, stock is running low, the intention of the lower prices was to get rid of that stock.

Associate
Yeah, still not sure if having fewer banks would cause issues. Probably fine, especially at higher frequencies and lower memory timings.

Main benefit of DDR5 is ofc higher frequencies, and the changes in the design also facilitate higher capacity RAM.

Buildzoid has a vid where he goes in a bit more detail about banks config

4 mins and 8 mins, though the whole vid has some interesting bits and pieces.

Soldato
Cheers, I watched the first 10 mins. I suppose I'm mostly interested in real world performance differences, particularly in time sensitive tasks such as gaming.

EDIT- ignore the video I posted, think it was testing with DDR4 modules, doh.

Better video here, showing various combinations of DDR5 8GB modules, on a high end Intel system, with a memory controller that must be running gear2:

The memory modules used are crappy 4800 MT/s, but still show significant increases as more modules are used (in some titles). Ofc, never a good idea to only use a single module...

My main concern with DDR5 modules, would be causing FPS drops below 60-70FPS, at 1080p resolution.

Suspect that 8GB modules running at 6000 MT/s would be fine (with better results, the more modules are use), particularly if it's possible to run the Zen 4 memory controller at 1:1.

Soldato
Perhaps we are asking the wrong question here relating to gaming. A better question might be, do I need a total of 32GB of DDR5 RAM to optimize framerates (>60 FPS), and which games would benefit from this in 2022 and perhaps next year?

To get 32GB of RAM, you would generally go with 2x16GB modules anyway, with DDR5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom