• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
B650 prices are set to be much more than their AM4 counterparts, plus doesn't negate the need for expensive DDR5. As I mentioned in the post you quoted - just can't see how this will compete with 13th gen i5, z690 board and cheapo ddr4 in price/performance.
Lots of ppl will ofc stick with their z690 builds, I don't disagree. Many building new systems will want a DDR5 platform supporting years of upgrades and for some, the new I/O options will be important too. A lot depends on DDR5 pricing too, AMD is supposed to be working on trying to bring prices down, who knows if that will be successful, might take a little longer than they would like.

I think AMD would be mad not to try to incentivise the production of at least some cheap B650 boards.

Soldato
Except you can get 16GB of DDR5 5200 for the huge cost of £71.xx now, and it is dropping almost daily. The B650 target is ~£100 for an entry level board, but obviously you'll argue against that as it isn't branded Intel.

Yep the "expensive ddr5" joke is over now, saying it just looks silly and the prices continue to drop. The retailer I shop at currently has 32gb DDR5 5600 kit in stock at the same price as it's 32gb DDR4 3200 kits

Soldato
Yep the "expensive ddr5" joke is over now, saying it just looks silly and the prices continue to drop. The retailer I shop at currently has 32gb DDR5 5600 kit in stock at the same price as it's 32gb DDR4 3200 kits
It's true that the higher capacity modules tend to offer good value, vs DDR4.

There's DDR5 6000 CL40 2x16GB kit now for ~£200.

EDIT - Wow, DDR5 6000 CL40 2x8GB kit now for <£120. Very good price.

Prices seem to be changing quickly.

Only a matter of time, before the low latency stuff becomes more affordable. I suppose that AMD will want EXPO versions of these cheaper modules too, I bet it will be quite doable just to reprogram existing DDR5 models and rebadge them.

Soldato
B650 prices are set to be much more than their AM4 counterparts, plus doesn't negate the need for expensive DDR5. As I mentioned in the post you quoted - just can't see how this will compete with 13th gen i5, z690 board and cheapo ddr4 in price/performance.
currently seeing 32GB 4800MHz DDR5 CL38 £127.13 also 32GB DDR5 5200 MHz CL40 £125 not the highest spec but they do seem to be dropping

at that price and if I was building new system now I would 100% go with DDR5 over DDR4

Associate
£20 is neither here nor there now for ram cost. The mobo differential is similar. But OCUK's cheapest DDR5 board is £200.

It looks like it will be post Christmas and AMD B650 and Intel's mainstream boards are out at before DDR5 will show up in the budget to mid range build posts on this forum.

Soldato
ASRock showed their list of upcoming boards with the B650E in that list, several SKU's actually. Also the B650E makes a lot more sense for Mini-ITX, as you can't use X670E features due to the physical size, but there is a market for a better board with PCI-E 5.0 support on both 16x slot and M.2's
It'll be interesting to see exactly how things break down then. As I said earlier, there could be crossover between what constitutes X670 and what constitutes B650E and one risks cannibalising the other.

If you create a board which has a single 16 lane PCIe Gen 5 GPU slot and 2 Gen 5 SSD slots, is that X670 or B650E? Feels more like X670 personally because you're getting multiple, full-speed SSDs. If that's B650E that what does X670 offer that then doesn't step on X670E's toes? And why bother with X670 at all if you get your GPU and a pair of SSDs running at full chat on a "lesser" board?

G J

G J

Associate
DDR5 prices are ok I guess for now but this will be one of the first generation of a new memory that did not have price fixing shortages if pricing stays the same or goes down further.

I'm happy to wait on DDR4 till 5 gets abit faster/well established/etc.

Soldato
Thunderbolt /USB4 header :cry:
Well this is what we're going to find out, isn't it. How do the 5 board types break down with their features?

Won't be long now, and certainly won't be long before I start moaning at how much of a scam ITX boards will be when vendors use XYZ chipset for "features" when the physical dimensions of the board will enable the same feature set with a lower tier chipset (I'm looking at you, X570 ITX).

Soldato
Seems that all DDR5 modules rated over 6200 MT/s require 1.4v (or higher) to run (standard for DDR5 is 1.1v @4800MT/s). Wonder if these modules will only be supported on high end AM5 boards?

Soldato
Stay away from any DDR5 2x8GB
These have half bank groups per stick, with performance penalty almost like dropping to single channel mode
Thanks for the warning. Has a performance penalty been demonstrated in real world tasks, like software or games? And if so, please post a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom