• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It is in same niche as Titan Xp.
raja_koduri_-_radeon_rising_-_amd_2017_financial_analyst_day-09_575px.png

I'm guessing Frontier belongs to >$500 spot on this picture.
Difference being that the Vega card has double FP16 compute, and 1/16 FP64 VS the TitanXp's single FP16 and 1/32 FP64.

Also no gaming driver for this Vega card according to Raja. It's more of a glorified Quadro equivalent really.

It will be interesting to see how they fill the gap between RX 580 and that $500 limit for enthusiast.

That image shows $200 and then $500 upwards.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I don't think they're going to get Top Dog status, As is usually the case they show us a snippet of gaming in a title they do well in but, The performance is slower than a 1080ti, Considering that it's one of their strong showings the overall picture will only be in the 1080 range. Price is the big question. That'll save it or kill it.
Maybe, maybe not. We will see :)

As long as it is priced well, I am happy.

Associate
Think i'll just wait for Navi at this point - see how far i can clock this 480. High end RX Vega should be a beast though if that FE card is a guide to go by.

Soldato
Surprised I'm the one doing the AMD bashing here. But I really think that unless this card is as fast as a 1080ti there will be problems. For one very simple reason.

They are marketing this as a 4k card.
The 1080Ti is JUST a 4k card. It scrapes a pass IMO. The 1080 is not a 4K card.

So I really don't know where this leaves Vega if it comes in between a 1080 and 1080ti. A 1440p Ultrawide card...?

I have no issue with this. But they are saying it's a 4K card. And unless you like gaming at 40fps. It's just not looking likely to be a 4K card.

Esspecially when you think that early next year the 1180 or 2080 will be out and will be faster than the 1080ti (stock). This will be another 4k card.

And again I would have no issue with this other than AMD is marketing VEGA as a Nvidia crusher. And the future. Hmmmm.

Soldato
Surprised I'm the one doing the AMD bashing here. But I really think that unless this card is as fast as a 1080ti there will be problems. For one very simple reason.

So I really don't know where this leaves Vega if it comes in between a 1080 and 1080ti. A 1440p Ultrawide card...?

I have no issue with this. But they are saying it's a 4K card. And unless you like gaming at 40fps. It's just not looking likely to be a 4K card.

Esspecially when you think that early next year the 1180 or 2080 will be out and will be faster than the 1080ti (stock). This will be another 4k card.

And again I would have no issue with this other than AMD is marketing VEGA as a Nvidia crusher. And the future. Hmmmm.

Raja clearly said 4k60, that was the target.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

They marketed the Fury X as a 4K card also, so as long it is faster than a Fury X, it is a 4K card :p

Associate
I'm not sure they need to beat the 1080Ti.
What they need is competitively priced cards against 1070 and 1080. That's where the meat of the market is.
The only problem is the 10x0 series has been on the market for 1 year now. So anyone who wanted one has got one, I don't see them gaining a lot of market if they don't have competition for 1080Ti.
With that being said, there are plenty of people using Freesync or with 290's that want to upgrade them. This would be a good opportunity for them.

Caporegime

A 4K card doesn't mean all settings maxed out! It means being capable of playing games at 4K at a reasonable frame rate.

Soldato

I think this is where the HBCC might help. Lift those minimum frames at 4k.

It will be interesting... I am currently waiting for a a card to drive 1440p which will be an upgrade for me from 1200p. However if AMD can make 4k gaming accessible that really would be in their words 'disruptive'! :eek:

I can't see it happening to be honest and would still expect to get a 1440p panel. Even if 4k was attainable at launch, moving forward with AAA titles at 4k I'm sure the Vega high end card would quickly start to struggle. Safer bet to aim for 1440p.

Permabanned
Associate
I think this is where the HBCC might help. Lift those minimum frames at 4k.

It will be interesting... I am currently waiting for a a card to drive 1440p which will be an upgrade for me from 1200p. However if AMD can make 4k gaming accessible that really would be in their words 'disruptive'! :eek:

I can't see it happening to be honest and would still expect to get a 1440p panel. Even if 4k was attainable at launch, moving forward with AAA titles at 4k I'm sure the Vega high end card would quickly start to struggle. Safer bet to aim for 1440p.

I think HBCC is supposed to help 4GB/8GB cards at 4k.

Caporegime
Raja clearly said 4k60, that was the target.

I would ignore AMD proaganda machine. According to AMD the FuryX was a 4K card, and Polaris.was VR for the masses etc.

I expect like the FuryX Vega is only competitive at 4K due to still lingering inefficiencies, so that is what their marketing department will try and focus on

Soldato
I would ignore AMD proaganda machine. According to AMD the FuryX was a 4K card, and Polaris.was VR for the masses etc.

I expect like the FuryX Vega is only competitive at 4K due to still lingering inefficiencies, so that is what their marketing department will try and focus on

He said target, which means that is what they are aiming for. If they miss the target, then they will have to explain why to their investors once the market share doesn't grow, from the gaming segment anyhow.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

But any one 4K with time loses it's 4K status over time. 1080Ti in 2 years time won't be a 4K card either when new games come out and they run at 30-40fps instead of 60.

Anyone that knows what's what knew the reason they said that about the Fury X was because it performed best against competition at 4K resolution.

Soldato
But any one 4K with time loses it's 4K status over time. 1080Ti in 2 years time won't be a 4K card either when new games come out and they run at 30-40fps instead of 60.

And you just hit one exactly what HBCC is for! In two years time, instead of having to buy a new card with more VRAM, HBCC should help prolong the life span of your card with decent frame rates. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom