• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Got my 3700X today, running it on an Asus X470 Prime Pro. I had updated the bios before hand so the install went incredibly smoothly and everything is up an running great. I would say however that on auto-voltages on this motherboard, its sitting at 1.45v idle which from what I can tell is normal behavior for Zen2 however its still higher than I have liked so I have set a negative offset in the bios and I have done some benchmarks and I have lost no performance while dropping the max idle voltage to 1.330V vs 1.450v.

Associate
Got my 3700X today, running it on an Asus X470 Prime Pro. I had updated the bios before hand so the install went incredibly smoothly and everything is up an running great. I would say however that on auto-voltages on this motherboard, its sitting at 1.45v idle which from what I can tell is normal behavior for Zen2 however its still higher than I have liked so I have set a negative offset in the bios and I have done some benchmarks and I have lost no performance while dropping the max idle voltage to 1.330V vs 1.450v.

How much offset you put?-0.1v? I wonder how well ryzen 3rd gen undervolt capabilities + pbo. Someone needs to test it either way.

Permabanned

Are you monitoring with ryzen master or one of the programs that doesnt work? :p

Associate
I disabled PBO to be honest considering all the problems I have heard people are having with it with certain models of Zen2, from what I can gather so far its more trouble than its worth so I am simply running it at stock for now until ASUS come out with a better bios for the x470 Prime Pro. Though from what I read about the 3700X and above, there really is not that much headroom left anyway...

Associate
I am using CPU-Z since AMD Robert on reddit confirms its showing the correct core voltage

After investigating this issue further, it looks like monitoring tools with frequent monitoring intervals will cyclically wake every core in the system for a few milliseconds to probe their behavior. From the perspective of the CPU, this looks exactly like an application asking for frequency boost. An application woke every core and asked it to do something, and is doing that every 100-2000ms (depending on polling interval). This will artificially inflate voltages and clockspeeds reported by the system, especially if the tool you're using to check voltages is the same tool that's causing cores to boost. ;) I can confirm that CPU-Z is showing the correct CPU idle voltage, though.

tl;dr: there are myriad reasons why the CPU may be appearing to use more voltage than you expect. Some tools can't probe the behavior of a sleeping core. Some tools poll so frequently that the core(s) think they must boost all the time. If you want an accurate voltage reading, CPU-Z is the solution for now.

Associate

Its normal for it to report 1.45v but its not actually that voltage. The cores are sleeping. Use Ryzen Master to get readings rather than undervolt needlessly.

Soldato
Anyway to drop voltage whilst still employing PBO?

Its normal for it to report 1.45v but its not actually that voltage. The cores are sleeping. Use Ryzen Master to get readings rather than undervolt needlessly.

Deffo is hitting those volts as Ryzen Master has my CPU topping out at 95 max temp. Still holds clocks and doesn't exceed 95 though.

Soldato
Yes how would it? Does not matter how high demand is. whether theirs one person wanting one, or if theirs 2 thousand. If their is zero CPU's, which is currently the case no one is getting one

But you already said people have them... anyway if a suppler has 1000 CPU’s and 20 orders come in for 2000 each that is 50 chips per order or a 2.5% fulfilment.

Soldato

Check the all voltage settings in the BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom