• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
By the way, I found out that it is one of the sticks that is not making the grade. Basically when run at xmp settings it chucks out errors. But happy to run at 3000 with xmp settings instead. Where as the other sticks runs perfectly fine at 3200 and xmp.

I suppose Corsair will have to replace it.

Soldato
Mine also seems to be okay now, but have to run at xmp.
The cpu was on auto but I was getting little stutters in games when it auto clocked from 4 to 4.3 etc, so set it at 4.3 all core and its smooth again.
Sucks that it stopped being stable, dropping from 3600 cl16 and 1800 if, down to 1600 if and 3200 cl14 I can notice the frame rates are lower. But I guess I will have to find the new limits that maybe the new bios has changed

Soldato
By the way, I found out that it is one of the sticks that is not making the grade. Basically when run at xmp settings it chucks out errors. But happy to run at 3000 with xmp settings instead. Where as the other sticks runs perfectly fine at 3200 and xmp.

I suppose Corsair will have to replace it.

Yup they should, I bought some Corsair stuff. It took me about 6 weeks to get rma numbers and sent off just for a return after I changed my mind and bought crucial instead.

Soldato
Horses for courses, as mentioned some people enjoy it. If you enjoy it then where is the problem? I enjoy it myself and like to do it until it stops being fun. Every time I get hardware I enjoy doing some benchmarks and a bit of OCing.

I was commenting about the post above. Apologies for not following forum etiquette. My bad.

Permabanned
There were articles that B550 boards would be OEM only. But it seems ASRock has one on show:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dghxdi/this_prebuilt_at_bestbuy_has_an_asrock_b550/

ASRock-B550-A.png

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There were articles that B550 boards would be OEM only. But it seems ASRock has one on show:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dghxdi/this_prebuilt_at_bestbuy_has_an_asrock_b550/

ASRock-B550-A.png
Not long left then.

Happy in the end I went with X570 though so no regrets. Been running some benches and can now do 4400MHz on all cores at 1.25v. It passes cinebench and the even much longer blender benchmark :D

Surprised really as I started at 1.4V for 4400MHz all core OC and worked my way down. Don't think I should go down any more than that for 4400MHz though.

What clocks you got?

Soldato
I'm thinking of jumping from a 2700K @ 4.7ghz to a 3700X.. but can't quite decide whether to make the jump or not!

I game at 1440p 144hz with a 1080Ti, I'd pair the CPU with either the B450 Tomahawk MAX or the Aorus X570 Elite.

Soldato
Hmm.. I'm getting closer to the jump! What board would you recommend? I'm currently not using nvme, or WiFi.. I much prefer LAN cables.

Well... I dont have an x470 or x570 board. I have an Asus Prime Pro X370.

It is actually doing the job.

Would I buy a Prime Pro X570? Hmm... probably not. It's probably just fine, but I would go for something more pricey if I was in the market today.

I like Asus and have experience with Asus and would find it hard not to just buy another Asus board. But it also seems like the Gigabyte boards are competitively priced and Gigabyte seem quick with the BIOS updates so I'd consider them.

I'd also look at the Taichi X570.

Plenty of articles comparing the X570 boards, have a Google.

Soldato
Not long left then.

Happy in the end I went with X570 though so no regrets. Been running some benches and can now do 4400MHz on all cores at 1.25v. It passes cinebench and the even much longer blender benchmark :D

Surprised really as I started at 1.4V for 4400MHz all core OC and worked my way down. Don't think I should go down any more than that for 4400MHz though.

What clocks you got?

Is your performance suffering though with clock-stretching??

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Is your performance suffering though with clock-stretching??
I did test for that, there was a very small impact, small enough for me to prefer the lower voltage. It could have even been margin of error, will need to test a few times to see. As an example Blender benchmark finished in 20 minutes an 9 seconds which was 2 seconds slower.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
4.4 at 1.25v. Reckon you got dodgy monitoring software. How are you overclocking, in bios or Ryzen master.
Ryzen Master. But how can it be dodgy if benchmarks reflect the performance increase and HWMonitor shows much lower temps. Hell my fans do not go crazy at the lower voltage either like they do on higher for the same clock.

I am surprised about this myself and wondering if there is something I am not seeing here or if I just got lucky with silicon lottery.

What is your Blender benchmark quick run score/time and at what clocks?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Currently got 4 profiles on Ryzen Master. All the cores clocked at the same speed on each profile. I just did a quick run on Cinebench of each profile, noted the points and highest temp.

Default = 3470pts - 64C.
4GHz @ 1.1v = 3528pts - 50C.
4.2GHz @ 1.15v = 3728pts - 54C.
4.3GHz @ 1.2v = 3818pts - 59C.
4.4GHz @ 1.25v = 3902pts - 63C.
4.4GHz @ 1.4v = 3903pts - 75C.

As you can see having 1.4v really makes temp soar. Not just that but the package power draw is close to double vs my 4GHz all core OC.

I really do not like the way the default works as AMD keep pumping volts to 1.44v just to get 1 core up to 4.2GHz and that causes temps to spike to low 60's which then causes my fans to ramp up and that's with my custom curve.

Back
Top Bottom