• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
brilliant slide
"optimized for liquid cooling (280mm recommended)"
How do you optimize for that? Manufacture an extra hot processor?
This slide caused me a bit of concern as well. How is that a positive thing to sell the processor? To me its a con and not a pro. Does it mean the other processors are not water coolable and this one is? Of course not.

I was planning to get a Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH D15 because I dont want the potential issues watercooling can bring.

Associate
This slide caused me a bit of concern as well. How is that a positive thing to sell the processor? To me its a con and not a pro. Does it mean the other processors are not water coolable and this one is? Of course not.

I was planning to get a Dark Rock Pro 4 or NH D15 because I dont want the potential issues watercooling can bring.

I'm also deciding between Dark Rock Pro 4 and NH D15 for 3950x because I will run BOINC 24/7 on it and don't want any risks of AIO leaks. Hope that "optimized for liquid cooling"slide is just marketing gimmick and one of these air coolers will be enough.

Associate
I'm also deciding between Dark Rock Pro 4 and NH D15 for 3950x since I will run BOINC 24/7 on it and don't want any risks of AIO leaks. Hope that "optimized for liquid cooling"slide is just marketing gimmick and one of these will be enough.
I hope so, normally I would wait for reviews, but waiting it out might mean missing on stock and paying stupid price. I might end up getting an AIO, got a stupid big case to put one anyway but i dont want to risk any damage.

Caporegime
4bc434ebb8da619709acc6fac0871930427b715dc7b5bf5070141eba4f26d6f4.gif

Soldato
To put a 16-core HEDT flagship for 1080p gaming and call it a day is more than stupid!
Except that it's not a HEDT chip or platform, and the only reason 1080p gaming figures are shown is because of the single metric that Intel have "superiority" in. Nobody with half a brain is going to buy the 3950X purely for gaming, but the figures showing it can game just drive the last nail into Intel's desktop coffin.

Associate
I'm also deciding between Dark Rock Pro 4 and NH D15 for 3950x because I will run BOINC 24/7 on it and don't want any risks of AIO leaks. Hope that "optimized for liquid cooling"slide is just marketing gimmick and one of these air coolers will be enough.

I wouldnt be too concerned, the dark rock pro 4 has been shown to be as effective as the all in one liquid coolers . It should still be more than enough

Caporegime
It's for AMD's own good. They don't know what is good for them and this is why they recently were close to bankruptcy.
To put a 16-core HEDT flagship for 1080p gaming and call it a day is more than stupid!

How have you not been head hunted by amd, intel or nvidia yet? You seem to have all the answers.

Caporegime

The high clock speed is dependant on temperatures, Zen 2 cores are very power efficient but 16 of them is going to require more than a £40 air cooler to keep cool for those high boost clocks.
Edit. a top of the range Air cooler like the NH D15 will probably be just as good, that is a beast of an air cooler, just as good as any 280mm AIO.

Last edited:
Associate
The high clock speed is dependant on temperatures, Zen 2 cores are very power efficient but 16 of them is going to require more than a £40 air cooler to keep cool for those high boost clocks.
Edit. a top of the range Air cooler like the NH D15 will probably be just as good, that is a beast of an air cooler, just as good as any 280mm AIO.
So the wall they said is around 170w for the 3950x. Dark Rock pro 4 advertises as cooling 250w TDP me knowing very little about cooling efficiency etc I would say this is going to do the job.

Soldato
So the wall they said is around 170w for the 3950x. Dark Rock pro 4 advertises as cooling 250w TDP me knowing very little about cooling efficiency etc I would say this is going to do the job.

Yes, but TDP isn't the whole picture.

The issue with Zen2 outside of how it boosts with voltages within the FIT and it's TDP, is getting the heat transferred out of the tiny 74mm² CCD itself, before you even consider trying to transfer heat from the IHS. So whilst larger more competent coolers and blocks will help, the main issue is before it's job.

If you compared it with the 9900K which has some notoriety on the subject:

9900K has a theoretical intensity of ~1.15W/mm² when operating at 5.0GHz (200W @ 174mm²)
Zen2 can easily reach intensity of > 1.5W/mm² (120W+ @ 74mm²).

However, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is a very competent cooler, just ensure good airflow and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom