• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I think you can grumble when on the server side they do get a compatible drop in, so there is nothing technically stopping it.
Who says there's "technically nothing stopping it"? This is not Intel we're talking about, AMD don't - and never have - change up sockets for the hell of it. And Threadripper is not a cut down EPYC, never has been.

AMD committed to AM4 and backwards compatibility for 4 generations of Ryzen Desktop. AMD committed to SP3 and backwards compatibility for 3 generations of EPYC. Do you really think then AMD just randomly decided to break that trend for Threadripper 3 if there wasn't a good reason?

Associate
Who says there's "technically nothing stopping it"? This is not Intel we're talking about, AMD don't - and never have - change up sockets for the hell of it. And Threadripper is not a cut down EPYC, never has been.

AMD committed to AM4 and backwards compatibility for 4 generations of Ryzen Desktop. AMD committed to SP3 and backwards compatibility for 3 generations of EPYC. Do you really think then AMD just randomly decided to break that trend for Threadripper 3 if there wasn't a good reason?

Epyc has drop in 7nm Processors on SP3 socket, Threadripper 1xxx and 2xxx are Epyc SP3 CPUs repurposed for HEDT, if you can drop 7nm into and old Epyc serverboard you could also release 7nm chips that are x399 compatible forgoing latest features, AMD have chosen not too, in this regard they have played the same game as Intel and forced obsolescence.

Soldato
Epyc has drop in 7nm Processors on SP3 socket, Threadripper 1xxx and 2xxx are Epyc SP3 CPUs repurposed for HEDT, if you can drop 7nm into and old Epyc serverboard you could also release 7nm chips that are x399 compatible forgoing latest features, AMD have chosen not too, in this regard they have played the same game as Intel and forced obsolescence.

They probably also see the benefit to such platforms benefitting from the pci lanes and pcei4 etc.
As any faster memory and drives etc will make overall perf better and make the processor stand out even more in comparison to intels previous gen rubbish.

I think they want to be seen to look a full gen ahead.

Soldato

Well Intel would have brought out 12nm chips using the same core but 0.2% faster for 20% more money.

Soldato
Since rumours are saying 8%+ IPC increase and 100-200mhz+ clock increases for the next chips, are we expecting clocks to go up much on the 8-12 core 4000 CPUs? They could probably put a 4.8ghz 8-12 core chip easily by then no problem? With the lower latency then they should be bringing a good boost to games

Associate
Theoretically a 4.8GHz Zen 3 part will roughly equal a 5.4GHz Coffee Lake in single core. Obviously smashing Intel's offerings in multi-core. (using CPUz benchmark as a guide test)

None of Intel's parts upcoming seem to equal that performance either despite claims of 8% IPC increase for Sunny Cove as there's a large frequency deficit.

Also fun fact, if AMD keep up with another 8% IPC increase for Zen 4 over Zen 3 that would make a 4.4GHz Zen 4 part roughly equal to a 5.3GHz Coffee Lake part in single core performance.

Soldato
A 4.8GHz Zen 3 is hugely optimistic.

At the moment even with the latest 1004 Agesa not all 3000 series chips are hitting their advertised speeds still. You really think AMD will nail 4.8GHz? It's possible, but on past history very unlikely.

Presently on 1003 ABBA the most I see from my 3700x is 4.25Ghz peaking for brief moments at 4.3GHz

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if Agessa 1004 is gonna get me at 4.3Ghz - 4.35Ghz let alone the advertised 4.4Ghz.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

At the moment even with the latest 1004 Agesa not all 3000 series chips are hitting their advertised speeds still. You really think AMD will nail 4.8GHz? It's possible, but on past history very unlikely.

I Agree. The clockspeed war ended when they broke 4Ghz some time ago and since then due to diminishing returns they all switched to multiple cores (Desktop, Mobile) and the server scene before that. Now its focus is on power efficiency. With good gains in IPC and better methods of sharing loads, you are only seeing those with top cooling solutions and enthusiasts pushing for higher clockspeed.

Regarding Zen2 its showing better memory speed yields nice improvements too so its again not all about hitting 5Ghz to get a rapid setup.

Associate

Presently on 1003 ABBA the most I see from my 3700x is 4.25Ghz peaking for brief moments at 4.3GHz

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if Agessa 1004 is gonna get me at 4.3Ghz - 4.35Ghz let alone the advertised 4.4Ghz.
It's not hugely optimistic. The reports of the Zen 3 test samples that have released are literally saying a 200MHz improvement plus 8% IPC so far. Which is in line with what I stated above.

It should also be noted that by that time MS may indeed have sorted out the scheduler problems, hopefully some of that will be in the 1909 release at the very minimum (due any day).

Optimistic would be 10%+ IPC gain with a 300MHz+ clock speed improvement, which is in the realms of not likely.

Soldato
It's not hugely optimistic. The reports of the Zen 3 test samples that have released are literally saying a 200MHz improvement plus 8% IPC so far. Which is in line with what I stated above.

It should also be noted that by that time MS may indeed have sorted out the scheduler problems, hopefully some of that will be in the 1909 release at the very minimum (due any day).

Optimistic would be 10%+ IPC gain with a 300MHz+ clock speed improvement, which is in the realms of not likely.
If they can add 200MJz to a 16 core chip that would mean 4.9 (or 5?) GHz, if they can already do 4.7 for the highest core counts i don't get why they wouldn't do a high clocking 8 and 12 core chip for Zen 3. Seems like a wasted opportunity if not.

Caporegime

We used to get IPC gains of 3% +200Mhz from Intel.

Zen to Zen+ was 5% IPC + 200Mhz (Official) and that's what we got)
Zen+ to Zen 2 was +15% IPC + 200Mhz (Official) Again that's what we got, i'm at about 20% higher IPC and +400Mhz vs my 1600, a total performance gain of about 30%.

If we take the fastest Coffeelake ST score from R20: 580, 9900K @ 5.45Ghz, the fastest Zen 2 currently 544, 3900X @ 4.65Ghz. (Shac and TNA are currently fighting it out) that is a 6% higher score for the 9900K at 18% higher clocks, that's an IPC difference of 12% to Zen 2.

Add 8% IPC and Zen 3 has 20% higher IPC than Coffeelake, add 200Mhz that's 4.85Ghz

At 4.85Ghz Zen 2 would score 568, add the 8% IPC to make it Zen 3 = 613 ST points, to score that the 9900K would have to clock to 5.8Ghz.

What i'm saying is clock speed is irrelevant, an FX 8350 clocked to 5Ghz, a 4Ghz 3770K was faster.

Caporegime

There is some evidence of AMD and socket changes that goes unspoken.
Am3+ despite bulldozer being penned for AM3 meaning AM3 never had an exclusive CPU architecture. And there was two AM3 boards that got Bulldozer support.

On the APU side they went from FM1 to FM2 to FM2+ in quick succession.

Back
Top Bottom