• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I thought there was also the issue of electromigration with high voltages?

As far as my Googling tells me, both high heat and high voltage increase the rate of electromigration.

Indeed.
Though higher voltage without sufficient cooling can degrade incredibly fast, as even The Stilt found out last year on his 3700X.

I've had a few chips go, my 3930K went downhill fast in the end and my 1800X after 2 years at 1.375v. I was going to sell it but alas, I cannot. It's now in a drawer lol.
Both were cooled well and better than others that are still running fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
My 8700k that I had for 2 years run at 1.37v, went up to 90c and never degraded one single bit.

That being said, it only went to 90c in benchmarks. When playing games which is what I do 99% of the time, it ran at 50c.

So I wonder if those complaining about degrading is because they are running sustained high heat - like 90c for hours and hours

Soldato
Oh so AMD didn't actually say anything, thanks for letting us know.

Are you being deliberately thick ? PBO is an AMD bios setting and they fully expect peeps to enable it. I can't imagine for one second that AMD would allow PBO to go to the point where it would kill any cpu, so the answer to your question is that AMD are telling you it's safe by putting it in the bios in the first place.

Soldato
Are you being deliberately thick ? PBO is an AMD bios setting and they fully expect peeps to enable it. I can't imagine for one second that AMD would allow PBO to go to the point where it would kill any cpu, so the answer to your question is that AMD are telling you it's safe by putting it in the bios in the first place.

Gibbo has already spoken, you can stop now

Caporegime
Link?

Not that it matters, max I go is 1.275v for my 4.4GHz all core ;)

Poor humbug, that is one poor clocker you got there. Needs so much juice for hardly any OC. Lol.

Its stock, out of the box, not uncommon for early 3600's to run ~1.4v under high stress loads, even higher for lightly threaded loads.

Later ones probably got more mature silicon and don't run with such high volts.

Either way its under a 3 year warranty, i don't run it with any overclock and i don't plan on keeping it for even that long, if it fails before i replace it i'll just send it back.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My 8700k that I had for 2 years run at 1.37v, went up to 90c and never degraded one single bit.

That being said, it only went to 90c in benchmarks. When playing games which is what I do 99% of the time, it ran at 50c.

So I wonder if those complaining about degrading is because they are running sustained high heat - like 90c for hours and hours

I think with the Box Cooler mine would run pretty bloody hot.

I run it with this cooler.. http://www.deepcool.com/product/LiquidCooler/2018-11/209_10014.shtml

I do light backing in Unreal Engine and that is sustained flat out loads for hours on end, temps are ~65c

Permabanned
Know if those results were after the laptops were heat soaked? I would have expected the 4700U to perform better in the single threaded benchmark.

That's an apples-oranges comparison, since the Core i7-1065G7 is a 4-core/8-thread part released back in Q3 2019, while the Ryzen 7 4700U is an 8-core part not yet released.

They should compare it with the 6-core and 8-core intel parts where it most probably won't show any speed advantage.

Soldato
That's an apples-oranges comparison, since the Core i7-1065G7 is a 4-core/8-thread part released back in Q3 2019, while the Ryzen 7 4700U is an 8-core part not yet released.

They should compare it with the 6-core and 8-core intel parts where it most probably won't show any speed advantage.
There are two types of legitimate comparison: like-for-like, for tech e-peen purposes, and cost-for-cost, for real world value. The Core i7-1065G7 is $426 and I suspect the Ryzen 7 4700U will be lower than that, so it's a perfectly valid comparison.

Soldato

Nope, it is apples to apples in terms of watts as both max out at 25 watt.

Intel do not have a 6 or 8 core laptop chip to compare then. They wont have anything to release soon either. These Intel chips were announced in October and laptops shipped November, 2 months ago. Not ages ago like you are suggesting with your back in Q3 comment.

If you want you could also compare Intels highest Core i7-1068G7 but that would be up against a 4800u instead since their TDP is closer matched.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Nope, it is apples to apples in terms of watts as both max out at 25 watt.

Intel do not have a 6 or 8 core laptop chip to compare then. They wont have anything to release soon either. These Intel chips were announced in October and laptops shipped November, 2 months ago. Not ages ago like you are suggesting with your back in Q3 comment.

If you want you could also compare Intels highest Core i7-1068G7 but that would be up against a 4800u instead since their TDP is closer matched.

Check the Core i7-10710U: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0710u-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-70-ghz.html

intel-Core-i7-10710-U-15-W.png

Caporegime
Know if those results were after the laptops were heat soaked? I would have expected the 4700U to perform better in the single threaded benchmark.

I don't know but this vs Intel's brand new 10nm Ice Lake, the one that Intel claim has 18% higher IPC, doesn't look to be any better than Zen 2, the MT threaded score with a 8 core 8 thread Zen 2 is 30% higher vs a 4 core 8 thread Ice Lake, the ST score is 6% to Ice Lake.

Soldato
I don't know but this vs Intel's brand new 10nm Ice Lake, the one that Intel claim has 18% higher IPC, doesn't look to be any better than Zen 2, the MT threaded score with a 8 core 8 thread Zen 2 is 30% higher vs a 4 core 8 thread Ice Lake, the ST score is 6% to Ice Lake.

Aye, it's looking good for AMD again this gen compared to Ice Lake. But then what is the score from Intel previous gen to this gen for them?

Caporegime
Aye, it's looking good for AMD again this gen compared to Ice Lake. But then what is the score from Intel previous gen to this gen for them?

From just about everything other than gaming we do know Zen 2 is about 8 to 13% faster per core per clock vs Coffeelake at about 0.6 the power consumption.

This disparity in games 'as i'm sure you know' comes from the increased latency in the memory channels on the Zen architecture.

Intel actually suffer from the same problem on their Sky Lake-X architecture which employs a "mesh" system for high core counts given that the Ring Bus in Coffeelake breaks down beyond 10 cores.

Sky Lake-X vs Zen+

lO6HXWM.png

Associate
I just plonked some Patriot Viper Steel 4400Mhz RAM into my 3600x system. Using the DRAM Calculator at 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32 (dirty rough OC), I input the numbers that was thrown out and my AIDA 64 RAM Latency is 63.3ns. Does that sound about right, and if not what should you expect from Zen 2?

Back
Top Bottom