• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
I've been doing a bit of research on the mobos and you guys are right, the two budget boards to go for are the B450 Tomahawk Max or the Gigabyte Auros Elite x570.

I understand the arguments for the cheaper B450 board regarding Pci E4. But I just cant shake that feeling that it doesn't feel right investing in a standard that is essentially on the way out with the up coming GPU generation in 2020.

Still feels bad to spend the money on the Auros Elite simply for an updated bios. :o

Asus :mad:

Associate
Yes, I mean move from A1/B1 to A2/B2 (I think!). I have it in 1st and 3rd slots and think it should be in 2nd and 4th...

Always good to report back - finally got the will to take off cooler and change ram slots - now running 3600MHZ on basic settings XMP profile 1 without problems. Should have done it a lot sooner!!!

Soldato
I've been doing a bit of research on the mobos and you guys are right, the two budget boards to go for are the B450 Tomahawk Max or the Gigabyte Auros Elite x570.

I understand the arguments for the cheaper B450 board regarding Pci E4. But I just cant shake that feeling that it doesn't feel right investing in a standard that is essentially on the way out with the up coming GPU generation in 2020.

Still feels bad to spend the money on the Auros Elite simply for an updated bios. :o

For me, I had recently bought a 1TB SATA SSD, I have an external sound card, I don't have many USB devices, I had recently upgraded to a 5700XT, in my position the B450 was fine simply because I won't be needing PCIE4 for a few years if at all (before next upgrade), the weak onboard audio isn't a concern, and I can always buy USB hubs if I suddenly need more ports :)

But saying that, if I had been starting from scratch with a completely new build, I probably would have gone X570

Caporegime
One day, 2025 maybe, the B550 boards will get released...

e: Having said that, and in the interests of completeness, there was at least one rumour that the B550 boards had been canned. That the next chipset/boards from AMD would be X670.

Soldato
One day, 2025 maybe, the B550 boards will get released...

e: Having said that, and in the interests of completeness, there was at least one rumour that the B550 boards had been canned. That the next chipset/boards from AMD would be X670.

The info I could find on line indicated that around Oct for the next boards.

It makes sense really. New boards will be coming around the time of the 4000 series chips.

Soldato

You struggling too? I'm not sure what to do. I have an ae-5 sound card which is also making me factor in Not buying a board with any "decent" audio, as itll be wasted.

Soldato
Yes, the three worst offenders are Asrock and Asus with MSI limping in 3rd from the bottom.

please dont buy ASROCK ever - i made the mistake - Fan sounds like ajet, sb hotter than a supernova, bios updates a myth, oh and trying to RMA Easier to win lotto. RAM struggles to boot xmp without 2000w......................

Caporegime
please dont buy ASROCK ever - i made the mistake - Fan sounds like ajet, sb hotter than a supernova, bios updates a myth, oh and trying to RMA Easier to win lotto. RAM struggles to boot xmp without 2000w......................
Asus spin-off aren't they. I'm not a big fan of ASUS these days and, after having a couple of their boards for my last two builds, will go with MSI or Gigabyte for the next one.

I'll likely save myself a few bob in the process, given how much the ASUS tax is these days ;) For what? I see nothing making their higher prices worth paying.

Associate
Yes it seems ASUS gave up on the x370 boards. Makes me angry as other manufacturers managed to update their lower end boards. ASUS just couldn't give one. They'll probably do the same to the strix trx40 boards.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm not a big fan of ASUS these days and, after having a couple of their boards for my last two builds, will go with MSI or Gigabyte for the next one.

I'll likely save myself a few bob in the process, given how much the ASUS tax is these days ;) For what? I see nothing making their higher prices worth paying.

Since I bought a b450 board last year I feel the same. The previous TUF (Sabertooth) was much classier with better build quality. The nail in the coffin was the HU videos about the GPU's having no or inadequate quality control after charging them premium prices. May give them a go again but will extensively wait for solid reviews before it happens.

Back
Top Bottom