• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
What was stable on x370 seems like it isn't 100% stable on x570.

These were my settings on x370 that where 100% stable (I played hundreds of hours on these settings (165 hours of Odyssey alone))

RAM SPEED: 3600MHz
TIMINGS: 16 16 16 16 36
DRAM: 1.35v
SOC: 1.1v
VDDG: 1.0v
FCLK: 1800
PBO: on

However the same settings on x570 and it's not 100% there. I can play a long session like 4hrs but then it will crash with no errors.

It could be the game, but I know from experience it's the overclock.

I've tried the dram calc settings too. No joy.

I then did a Google and found this.

I am now running the same timings as above, but with 1.2v on the SOC and 1.1v for VDDG.

I hope that's not too high?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

These were my settings on x370 that where 100% stable (I played hundreds of hours on these settings (165 hours of Odyssey alone))

However the same settings on x570 and it's not 100% there. I can play a long session like 4hrs but then it will crash with no errors.

I am now running the same timings as above, but with 1.2v on the SOC and 1.1v for VDDG.

Are you latest bios?

Can you oc dram now?

Soldato
Tweaks to SoC and VDDG have largely been negated through x570 BIOS revisions.

Can you elaborate on this? What should we be doing, leave it on auto?

I can confirm that with out tweaking my VDDG my ram overclock is not stable.

At stock SOC is 1.1v and VDDG is 0.950v.

SOC at 1.1v is good, but the VDDG is too low to stabilise the FCLK.

AMD's own Ryzen Master documentation (when the chips released) says you should put the VDDG to 1.1v.

I can confirm that when I do this things are much more stable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I was holding those tweaks and having issues still, I decided to go straight back to a defualt BIOS, and apply XMP. And it's been stable. Just @ stock, PBO and my RAM at XMP. No OC'ing further.

Maybe AMD's original implementation did advise that you move VDDG? to 1.1 but that was for early BIOS's. They would have added that as standard auto setting in subsequent BIOS releases surely, otherwise everyone would have to know to set VDDG @ 1.1. and loads of other tweaks. OC'ing yes but I though above you were referring that you couldn't get you RAM @ XMP settings stable?

My suggestion is just for running your CPU @ stock with PBO and your RAM at it's XMP profile. No OC'ing further than any ratings.

Apologies if you were on about still trying to OC to 1900/3800.

Associate
Start your BIOS profile afresh with no changes to SoC or VDDG. Load XMP ram settings and use ryzen master to apply PBO. Tweaks to SoC and VDDG have largely been negated through x570 BIOS revisions.
I loaded defaults settings after bios update and ofcourse XMP settings. Is PBO considered as overclock? i'm using stock cooler so i don't want to reduce longevity of my cpu.

Soldato
Can you elaborate on this? What should we be doing, leave it on auto?

I can confirm that with out tweaking my VDDG my ram overclock is not stable.

At stock SOC is 1.1v and VDDG is 0.950v.

SOC at 1.1v is good, but the VDDG is too low to stabilise the FCLK.

AMD's own Ryzen Master documentation (when the chips released) says you should put the VDDG to 1.1v.

I can confirm that when I do this things are much more stable.

Just going to add my 2p's worth here.
I have always been of the view that any and all bios tweaking should actually be done in the bios. Yes, Ryzen Master may well be the best windows based bios tweaking software that has ever existed.................but it relies on Windows.
Just how embedded in windows it needs to be has been proved countless times when peeps want to uninstall it. It still leaves handles to the bios even in an uninstalled state. Very early on with Zen1 and a 1700 running on a CH5, i installed Ryzen Master. The results, although good were not over impressive to be honest.
So i just moved to the bios in the "old fashioned" way........................to no avail because Ryzen Master still had Handles into the bios. I didn't know this at the time, but when i did realize what was happening, i just formatted and re-installed windows and have not installed Ryzen Master since.
I can 100% say that since then, through a 1700, a 2700X and my current 3950X that i have not had one single overclocking issue of any description. Strangely enough, that especially includes RAM. I was easily able to run 4 sticks at 3533Mhz on my CH6 and 2700X fully stable for over a year and currently running the same ram at 3733Mhz 1:1 on my CH8 and 3950x.
If i was you, take a drive image of Windows and save it somewhere. Go into the bios and set to default, boot to a usb stick with windows on and do a thorough re-formatt, then install windows.
If i am right, win win all round. If i'm wrong, it's cost you a couple of hours. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Soldato
Just going to add my 2p's worth here.
I have always been of the view that any and all bios tweaking should actually be done in the bios. Yes, Ryzen Master may well be the best windows based bios tweaking software that has ever existed.................but it relies on Windows.
Just how embedded in windows it needs to be has been proved countless times when peeps want to uninstall it. It still leaves handles to the bios even in an uninstalled state. Very early on with Zen1 and a 1700 running on a CH5, i installed Ryzen Master. The results, although good were not over impressive to be honest.
So i just moved to the bios in the "old fashioned" way........................to no avail because Ryzen Master still had Handles into the bios. I didn't know this at the time, but when i did realize what was happening, i just formatted and re-installed windows and have not installed Ryzen Master since.
I can 100% say that since then, through a 1700, a 2700X and my current 3950X that i have not had one single overclocking issue of any description. Strangely enough, that especially includes RAM. I was easily able to run 4 sticks at 3533Mhz on my CH6 and 2700X fully stable for over a year and currently running the same ram at 3733Mhz 1:1 on my CH8 and 3950x.
If i was you, take a drive image of Windows and save it somewhere. Go into the bios and set to default, boot to a usb stick with windows on and do a thorough re-formatt, then install windows.
If i am right, win win all round. If i'm wrong, it's cost you a couple of hours. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

I do it the old fashioned way too. I only mentioned Ryzen Master because in the documentation for it AMD say VDDG and SOC should be started at 1.1v when overclocking memory.

When I was on x370 and struggling to get my memory stable setting VDDG to 1.0v was the key.

I have actually never used Ryzen Master before.

See below image:

https://ibb.co/5sbVP9v

---

This is the other thing I don't understand.

XMP / DOCP whatever you want to call it as far as I'm concerned will not work out of the box.

The profile will set the SOC and DRAM voltage. But I know from experience that if you do not set the VDDG as well you will not have a stable overclock.

Last edited:
Soldato

The above suggests you are trying to run your native RAM settings (you have the same RAM as me) but you have still set your RAM with SoC & VDDG when you aren't overclocking it.

The documentation says you only use those voltages when OC'ing. Simple Memory OC'ing (XMP) remains - just enter modules label parameters, use AUTO settings for the rest. So leave SoC & VDDG to auto when you want to run your RAM at 3600Mhz 16, 16, 16, 16, 36.

Maybe the term 'simple memory OC'ing' confuses that.

As the IF clock in a default BIOS is only 1200mhz to support 2400Mhz native RAM, they consider any faster RAM that you have, you need to increase the IF which they are calling a simple overclock? XMP does it for you but that way of saying it could be misconstrued. And the text in the yellow box ref VDDG and SOC is for overclocking past native memory speeds? Dunno

Soldato
The above suggests you are trying to run your native RAM settings (you have the same RAM as me) but you have still set your RAM with SoC & VDDG when you aren't overclocking it.

The documentation says you only use those voltages when OC'ing. Simple Memory OC'ing (XMP) remains - just enter modules label parameters, use AUTO settings for the rest. So leave SoC & VDDG to auto when you want to run your RAM at 3600Mhz 16, 16, 16, 16, 36.

Maybe the term 'simple memory OC'ing' confuses that.

As the IF clock in a default BIOS is only 1200mhz to support 2400Mhz native RAM, they consider any faster RAM that you have, you need to increase the IF which they are calling a simple overclock? XMP does it for you but that way of saying it could be misconstrued. And the text in the yellow box ref VDDG and SOC is for overclocking past native memory speeds? Dunno

My ram is the 3200MHz 8 Pack sticks which I run at 3600MHz with the CL16 timings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah I see, my bad. I read your SiG, and those timings you put in that post are the same as stock 8pack dark pro 3600Mhz RAM. Sorry, my misunderstanding and assumptions.

But you see my point is this. VDDG is a voltage to stabilise the FCLK on the CPU.

XMP/DOCP when enabled would only set voltages for the SOC and DRAM.

Thus using XMP/DOCP you would still need to up the VDDG voltage manually to be stable other wise your increased FCLK by virtue of a higher memory speed would be unstable.

Associate
@opethdisciple Shot in the dark but one thing to try is running memtest86 with your current settings to see if this might be a memory issue with the board. I say this because even my £200 G.Skill 3600C15 can't run XMP without enabling Gear down mode which sets RAM to primary C16

The reason I bring this up is that maybe on your older board you automatically had gear down mode On? Worth a try looking about. There is no way you should need more than 1.1v for 1800 FCLK so we should look elsewhere for the issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I was holding those tweaks and having issues still, I decided to go straight back to a defualt BIOS, and apply XMP. And it's been stable. Just @ stock, PBO and my RAM at XMP. No OC'ing further.

Maybe AMD's original implementation did advise that you move VDDG? to 1.1 but that was for early BIOS's. They would have added that as standard auto setting in subsequent BIOS releases surely, otherwise everyone would have to know to set VDDG @ 1.1. and loads of other tweaks. OC'ing yes but I though above you were referring that you couldn't get you RAM @ XMP settings stable?

My suggestion is just for running your CPU @ stock with PBO and your RAM at it's XMP profile. No OC'ing further than any ratings.

Apologies if you were on about still trying to OC to 1900/3800.

OK, well I am giving it a go. All on auto voltages expect I have set my dram to 1.4v.

It's one voltage I havent tried tweaking yet on this x570 board (1.35v dram was fine on my x370)

Still just trying to run my 3200HMHz ram at 3600MHz. As mentioned before I must have clocked at least 200hrs + at this speed so I know the ram can do it.

It's all gone pear shaped since I upgraded to x570.

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, well I am giving it a go. All on auto voltages expect I have set my dram to 1.4v.

It's one voltage I havent tried tweaking yet on this x570 board (1.35v dram was fine on my x370)

Still just trying to run my 3200HMHz ram at 3600MHz. As mentioned before I must have clocked about 200hrs + at this speed so I know the ram can do it.

It's all gone pear shaped since I upgraded to x570.

God this gets more confusing.

As you are actually OC'ing your RAM then you will need those SoC & VDDG settings. Your sig makes it look like you have native 3600 CL16 RAM which is what I assumed. Not that you have 3200Mhz and trying to OC it to 3600Mhz RAM.

Soldato
God this gets more confusing.

As you are actually OC'ing your RAM then you will need those SoC & VDDG settings. Your sig makes it look like you have native 3600 CL16 RAM which is what I assumed. Not that you have 3200Mhz and trying to OC it to 3600Mhz RAM.

Yes I am overclocking.

---

So I left all volts on auto but with dram at 1.4v.

Just passed 4 passes of memtestx86. (4hrs)

Does that mean I am marginally good?

I'm a little concerned because I reckon memtestx86 tests the ram, but would not have stressed the FCLK.

Anyway... I played about 2.5hrs last night with no crash. So really gaming is the best test.

It will let me know if it's unstable when it crashes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom